Bargaining Thread - A Skill You Need To Know

alohatiger

It's a fact of life - bargaining. Most folks here didn't grow up with the skill. It's almost like trying to drive in a market - unless you have much experience, you're going to get fined and penalized. So, I'd like to start a thread on bargaining so we can share tips, experiences, and thoughts.

First: the economy here in Thailand. It's esentially a third-world economy with a large and growing industrial base. I'm still not fooled by the facade of Western clothing, high-rises, and jet-set Thai's. Unless they've gotten out of the country, most Thai's have third-world values. Which is a good and bad thing. But for the most part, many are poor. And comparatively, we have become rich by converting our currency into the Thai baht. So, we are newly rich, have rich price tags in our head, and off we go to the market! No wonder we get fleeced regularly.

And yes, we are getting fleeced, BIG TIME. Many people WILL say, hey, why not give them an extra 40 baht. I have no doubt that that person has not been in Thailand or Asia very long. Giving extra money (generosity) is NOT rewarded and not really high on people's list on Asia. It's a sad thing, to be sure, but most people would rather be kind to their family here rather than anyone else. And money in Asia can be hard to come by, so tipping or paying excessively for anything is considered both Stupid and generally being loose with your money (almost a fiscal promiscuity.) Really. Excessive tipping is not rewarded here.

That's not to say that tip is not in order. I always like to tip A LITTLE BIT, but always. Get's the calculation and other thoughts out the way. Just always tip A LITTLE BIT, but after all is said in done. Once money is given, the smiles and good nature disappear, and they want you to disappear to (unless you genuinely have something in common, of course.)

That being said, I still do love the Thai people, but they are human. They will make the same mistakes in a market economy as anyone else (greed, short-term thinking, etc.) For the most part they are great (away from the market), but at the market they will try to viciously and brazenly gouge you for every baht they can, all with a smile on their face.

There's a great scene in the Dave Chappelle Show "Lost Episodes" where Dave wants to get a haircut after he's become a big success. He goes to the barber and there's a big sign behind him saying "Haircut: $8". The t.v. then announces he's signed on a $50-million dollar contract and he's rich! The barber and all his pals suddenly look VERY KEENLY at Dave: he's got millions!

All of sudden the barber says, "Okay, all done, Mr. Rich Dave Man."

Dave asks, "Okay, how much'll that be?"

The barber says in a complete dead-pan, "$11,000 dollars."

Yes, every time we go to market in Thailand and just pay what they want us to pay, we are paying $11,000 for a haircut. It's nearly the equivalent we pay.

Okay, if we pay more, we're supposed to get more, right? VIP service, extra bottles of water, some respect, etc., right? I don't mind paying a bit more than the next guy as long as I get something out of it.

Not so at the market. You get EXACTLY what someone else gets, but nothing more. Probably something less too. In other words, because we are so stupidly rich here in Thailand, we can afford to be stupid at times. Which can be convenient at times, but I don't like being stupid all the time.

People will say, "Oh, you just don't want to give the nice Thai girl an extra 40 baht!" Well, that's not true, I just don't want to feed the piranhas. If you give a coin to a kid in Cambodia, a mob of street urchins will accompany you every you go at that point! With one coin you will adopt a small family of 20 or so kids.

That's a bit extreme, but the concept is the same in Thailand. To me, Thailand is still a Buddhist third-world country with lots of money now, all thanks to us Westerners. Without money, they would be the same as the Cambodian or Laos, etc. All the skyscrapers, jet-set Thai's, and western clothing does not a First World Country make. More like Cambodians on financial steroids. When financial decisions are based on "Magic Numbers" or the "ghosts or spirits" are not into it, some things are suspect.

How is generosity perceived in Thailand? Very poorly, I'm afraid. I think it stems from the fact that money is hard to make in Thailand. The few that do do well, but for the most part, most are stuck. Well, so, generosity here takes a back seat. Who IS generous? Usually, their family members are generous to other family members. But no one else. There just isn't that much to give to people you don't know or associate with regularly.

So, besides clan building, tips are for fools, rich fools, and the financially promiscuous (i.e., loose with their money.) I don't like being seen as financially "promiscuous".

I'm putting overtipping and overpaying in the same box. It's basically paying much more than expected. Overpaying is probably worse. Some folks I know don't tip anyways (I'm American.)

That being said, I ALWAYS tip, but only 2-30 baht. That pretty much covers everything. The cab might get 3-10 baht (the change.) The restaurant gets only 10-20 baht. A good restaurant will get 40+ baht. That's it.

The masseuse I overtip. I should only give them 20 baht, whether it's 1 or 2 hours.

Overtipping I've found to my chagrin (it's completely against what I've been taught) is almost like cultural pollution: it makes them think of greed and alters their behavior. It's kind of like feeding kids (i.e., free market newcomers) large, large amounts of sugar and hoping they'll act okay later. Duh! Giving a kid a WHOLE CANDY STORE is not good for that kid's health, or for his outlook on life. What's he gonna say when the next guy wants to only give him a lollipop?

It's IS like feeding piranhas. If you feed animals, like bears or sharks, they will eventually associate human presence with feeding. Then they will eat the human feeding them, because they are hungry.

I have a feeling it's the same way with poor humans. Everytime I go to market, man, people's eyes light up and they would just LOVE to sucker me and do very little for a large sum of money for me. LOVE TO.

*** So, don't short-change yourself. You deserve EVERY LITTLE BIT of goodness for your HARD-EARNED cash. If you want to be generous, give to an official charity, temple, or church. DO NOT feed the piranhas, or bears or sharks for that matter. ***

If you really think I'm going off the deep end on this one, look at the long-time expats. They usually do not pay the prices we pay, they know better and do not like to incite the piranhas. They know that their generosity may not be rewarded by everybody at the market.

I have to end with a caveat: I love the Thai people, they ought to get what they deserve, but hey, if you're gonna overcharge, then give me something that's worthwhile. And sometimes I just want what I want: I don't want three plates of food (i'll get fat and unhealthy), I just want one small plate of rich and vegetables. Thank you for listening to my rant.

Aloha, I think you are correct.

However, in Pattaya, the local people are mostly so totally corrupted by farang overpaying that you might call it the worlds largest piranha tank, with very promiscuous piranhas at that. So it is beyond the pale, and if you do behave as you suggest (which I totally agree with) you will be considered a Cheapskate Charley and undesirable tourist/resident. In other words, the Thai values you talking about do not apply to the walking ATMs (us).

KFC was mentioned. I bought an ice cream the other day at that Time Out place (they call it gelato but it isn't real gelato) and the scooper girl handed me a check bin tray in a formal manner as if she was working at a fancy restaurant. (Tip tip tip!) Egads. Like I said, corrupted beyond repair ...

Oh, and then there are the baht bus drivers. Piranhas with trucks!

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with most of what you said. However, not all merchants gouge foreigners. There were a couple in the village where I lived, a BBQ shop and a fruit seller. They charged me fair prices. They got almost all my business. I seldom went to the other places. I don't want to bargain or get ripped off. There are a few of those good merchants all over Thailand. You just have to find them.

As for tipping, it should be for service. We are at the edge of the village at the end of a long driveway. The milkman drives quite a distance to get to our house. I usually round up to the nearest 20 baht or so, at least. Especially if I'm only buying a small amount. On the other hand, I have been in situations where someone performed a service at an agreed upon price and then asked for more money later, a tip. They don't deserve it.

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

Aloha, I think you are correct.

However, in Pattaya, the local people are mostly so totally corrupted by farang overpaying that you might call it the worlds largest piranha tank, with very promiscuous piranhas at that. So it is beyond the pale, and if you do behave as you suggest (which I totally agree with) you will be considered a Cheapskate Charley and undesirable tourist/resident. In other words, the Thai values you talking about do not apply to the walking ATMs (us).

KFC was mentioned. I bought an ice cream the other day at that Time Out place (they call it gelato but it isn't real gelato) and the scooper girl handed me a check bin tray in a formal manner as if she was working at a fancy restaurant. (Tip tip tip!) Egads. Like I said, corrupted beyond repair ...

That is right: tipping in Pattaya and some places are becoming COMPULSORY: i.e. tipping has therefore become a TAX.

Also remember that 7% is added onto most well-to-do restaurants, including Sizzler's. There is no need to tip further at those places (of course, if she was particularly cute or did some great service for you, then I tip well on that.)

The point is: tipping is cultural pollution. Taken out of context, people not accustomes to tipping will turn it into a TAX. Now, we don't want another TAX, now do we?

As far as being a "Cheapskate Charlie" - I don't like cheap people. I don't like being cheap either. But some unscrupulous folks (and yes, they are that poor to be unscrupulous) will call you cheap if you don't hand them large sums of money. It's almost like legalized robbery, or being a lawyer (haha, just kidding, I LOVE lawyers.) Really, a tourist trap.

One time I was in Koh Lanta, driving a nice rental car. There is a place where the one road forks: you go right, to leave the island (the road only goes to the ferry.) If you continue, you drive into a tourist trap. Everyone KNOWS you are a tourist, they live on a small island, you have a nice rental car they've never seen before and they know everyone on the island. YOU ARE A TOURIST.

Next thing I know, after I pass the turn to leave, my rear is suddenly cutoff. Carts move in on my rear side, another car backs up into the street, esentially blockading me! No, really! The only way for me to go was forward, through the maze of shops. I had to fight my way to execute a three-point turn.

There ARE real traps out there. It's not just a word. Tourist traps here will attempt to strand you, block you in, and make it uncomfortable for you not to pay huge sums of money. At that point, they are taking our good graces way too far.

That being said, speed traps in the states are much the same, just more expensive too. You're whizzing by at 75 mph, they suddenly change the signs to 55 mph, then they ticket you. Why? You were going to fast to stop at their businesses and shop at their shops!

I wonder when they'll come up with tourist ambushes?

I found that away from the tourism centers, and items or services for tourists, mostly fair prices are asked straight away, and the only bargaining that needs to be done is asking for a small discount which is given at times, and sometimes not.

Outrageus demands are very much the exception, there no bargaining helps, and i just go somewhere else.

Usually I have a good time, and find what I REALLY want for a decent price (to me).

The various methods I have employed:

1. Taking a picture of what I want, showing it to a Thai, and having them bargain it down for me.

2. Taking 20 minutes out of my day PER STORE to bargain them down. I like to show a nice smiley face and generally be cheerful and try to understand their point of view. If it's high season, whatever, I have to get out of their store. They don't want me around during high season (I know the low season prices.)

3. Peruse the shop initially, then come late in the day and make a last offer. Often, (about 70%), they will accept.

4. I think being first also helps too. A quick sale early in the day makes people feel good, so you can get a small discount that way.

5. Buying more just means I get more junk. I don't like 1 DVD free for 10 DVDs. That just blows.

6. I like rounding DOWN. So, for aromas at 35 baht per bottle, if I buy 12, charge me 30 baht per bottle (and a few free too, of course.)

7. I will try to be ruthless (some salesgirls are just too cute) and compete neighboring stores against each other.

8. At the total count, I will hedge and throw back one (the least desirable) item. If the seller doesn't want to bargain, I'll just buy what I need. If s/he gives me a good deal on the nice-thing-I'd-want-but-don't-really-need, then I might buy that one too. Usually it's best for travellers to gather what they want, and send back at least one item. That way you pare down on your impulse buying, and luggage weight too!

Lying here is commonplace, and actually, as far as I know, part of the business culture here. There is a great author on honesty, I think her name was Bok, that basically said lying is completely accepted in business, and usually, is expected. Of course there are stellar businesses out here that are very honest (one particular sponsor here I've found to be very good so far) , but also frankly expensive too! They play a straight deal for a high premium. But most businesses lie, at least here in Thailand (and L.A., but that's another story.) If the shipment is going to be late, or whatever, many people will lie and say it's on-time, at least to folks like you and me. I've seen it all the time! But usually, (I don't know whether this is good or not), they will lie to everyone, farang or Thai, so don't take it personally, it's just business.

Naka: Some people just don't like being gouged ... some people don't mind ...

Every time I leave a known tourist trap (that freakin' hammock is 150 baht downt the street, not 800 baht!) then I see a cursing shop-keeper, I'm sure wondering, "Where have all the rich, STUPID tourists gone? That guy was asking me for normal mark-up (probably 20%), not the 850% I normally ask for!"

I've heard that in China you know you've got a good price from them when you leave them and they are still cursing your name. They can't believe they let a cash-cow like you just walk away unscathed

I think it's the same here. Unless they are cursing your name, you are being JIPPED.

And yes, it's true, some places ARE quite nice. I like to share their names and locations and reward them with repeat business. I like to make sure the GOOD enterprises survive and do well, and tourist traps die and wither!

That being said, there's a great travel lady in Phuket with a booth across from the new Carrefour in Patpong. It's outdoors and in front of the KODAK store. Can't miss it. She's a great lady and has always given me prices under the asking rate (outside of peak season, but even during high season.) She's AWESOME. Just remember, KODAK store, travel lady across from CARREFOUR in Patpong, Phuket.

Usually I have a good time, and find what I REALLY want for a decent price (to me).

1. Taking a picture of what I want, showing it to a Thai, and having them bargain it down for me.

2. Taking 20 minutes out of my day PER STORE to bargain them down. I like to show a nice smiley face and generally be cheerful and try to understand their point of view. If it's high season, whatever, I have to get out of their store. They don't want me around during high season (I know the low season prices.)

3. Peruse the shop initially, then come late in the day and make a last offer. Often, (about 70%), they will accept.

4. I think being first also helps too. A quick sale early in the day makes people feel good, so you can get a small discount that way.

5. Buying more just means I get more junk. I don't like 1 DVD free for 10 DVDs. That just blows.

6. I like rounding DOWN. So, for aromas at 35 baht per bottle, if I buy 12, charge me 30 baht per bottle (and a few free too, of course.)

7. I will try to be ruthless (some salesgirls are just too cute) and compete neighboring stores against each other.

8. At the total count, I will hedge and throw back one (the least desirable) item. If the seller doesn't want to bargain, I'll just buy what I need. If s/he gives me a good deal on the nice-thing-I'd-want-but-don't-really-need, then I might buy that one too. Usually it's best for travellers to gather what they want, and send back at least one item. That way you pare down on your impulse buying, and luggage weight too!

:o

"I don't like cheap people. I don't like being cheap either." But I do all those 8 things (together) so I can save 5 baht.

:D

I think it's the same here. Unless they are cursing your name, you are being JIPPED.

I would strongly advise you then never to live in a normal Thai neighborhood with that attitude. If shops and vendors there go so far and curse you, then it usually is high time to get out of there.

Just don't confuse tourism areas with every day life, please.

I would strongly advise you then never to live in a normal Thai neighborhood with that attitude. If shops and vendors there go so far and curse you, then it usually is high time to get out of there.

Just don't confuse tourism areas with every day life, please.

No, I agree completely. I am speaking about the large markets with large amounts of foreigners here. In normal Thai neighborhoods, the folks there have decency and good values, completely (I might venture to say they are better human beings than most Westerners: they sacrifice more for their families, they work harder, and all for less, yet they keep a great attitude. Great people.) These folks would never try to gouge you in the first place.

Same as any tourist resort in the world, mate. :o People are on their jollies and tend to throw money around.

The only thing that tees me off is places like most of Phuket where there is a blanket 10% service charge on everything. I don't mind tipping for good service; but mandatory tips lead to crap service and attitudes.

"I don't like cheap people. I don't like being cheap either." But I do all those 8 things (together) so I can save 5 baht.

:D

Haha. Quite funny. But to me it's 5 baht. To them, done many times in one day, it's a new light on their motorcycle!

But seriously, I think it's a skill and and art-form to survive on very little money. Very commendable skill, too.

I am fairly comfortable, but not working, so I don't like to spend like there's no tomorrow (there is, and many more tomorrow's I should say.) I'm not a tourist anymore, I'm not going back to a fine-paying job in two weeks. And I've found with the windfalls I've had, money makes people (including me) stupid.

There's a natural correlation: the richer you are, the more tendency there is to become stupid. And I mean STUPID! Fat, lazy, and even arrogant to boot. The richer you are, the less you have to do (i.e., you can get lazier) and you lose touch (i.e., you become stupid.) Note: it's just a tendency, many well-to-do folks (like myself) deserve the life they EARNED, and have good skills and values and work ethics.

I've just found that having a fat wallet has made me a bit on the lazy and stupid side of things (not that I don't appreciate that fact!) It's just that I like to stay sharp by struggling a bit, learning how to bargain, haggle, shop, stretch the dollar, etc. It's more of a challenge for me now, not a necessity. Definitely a fine game, I'd say.

Like they all say, "The best days of my life were during my struggle to become rich ..."

So I like to save a few baht here and there. Just to prove I'm still smart and savvy, not just some rich, fat American.

You obviously have way too much time on your hands... you shop like a woman!!

A funny thing happened to me at Mae Sai last week. My mate had gone to Tachilek but I stayed Thailand side as I was scared I'd blow my single entry visa. I wandered around and found a stall that sold gloves, they had a pair of fingerless leather gloves that I didn't really want but were well made and felt good on, perfect fit.

I asked the price and the stall lady said 110 baht. Thinking "I'll get these for 100" I replied "Fifty baht". She took them off me and hung then back on the hook. Astounded I said, "c'mon, give me a little dis-a-count"

"No" she said. End of story.

A funny thing happened to me at Mae Sai last week. My mate had gone to Tachilek but I stayed Thailand side as I was scared I'd blow my single entry visa. I wandered around and found a stall that sold gloves, they had a pair of fingerless leather gloves that I didn't really want but were well made and felt good on, perfect fit.

I asked the price and the stall lady said 110 baht. Thinking "I'll get these for 100" I replied "Fifty baht". She took them off me and hung then back on the hook. Astounded I said, "c'mon, give me a little dis-a-count"

"No" she said. End of story.

Sounds strange. You know, these folks should want to bargain with you. They should expect a little bargaining. Hmm, some people have bad days, some good. And not all mom-and-pop stores are really that good at business. It's just something they threw together to make a little money, I'm sure. Being the best or professional probably doesn't enter the picture here.

The best thing to do in Thailand: walk! Find another place that sells at the real price. And if they don't want to bargain, even just a bit, then I wouldn't deal with them at all.

Well, at least you didn't buy more junk you didn't need.

I bargain at the big markets..like Pratunam. I offer half theasking price and work up from there. Always with a smile.

My most frustrating bargaining session occurred in Fiji.

I wanted to purchase a traditional wooden bowl the Fijians use for making/drinking kava.

I asked a Fijian what it should cost...and was told that they are priced by the inch.

The one I wanted should cost about 20 dollars.

I went to a shop run by an Indian (my first mistake)

I found the bowl and offered 20 dollars.

He laughed and said 250!!

I informed him that I was not paying more than 20 dollars.

He got out his calculator and started punching buttons....and showed me 180 dollars.

I said 20.

He re-calculated again.

and again.

and again.

I started to leave.

He agreed to 20 dollars.

I told him to go fukc himself.

I went to a Fijian run store and asked the price for the same bowl.

20 dollars.

Sold.

Here's some traditional bargaining advice; If he asks for ten, he means eight and he wants six. So it's worth four. Offer two :D

Wife bargining at night market in CM for some copy perfume.They ask 800 she says 100 and they settle on 150. :o

Sounds strange. You know, these folks should want to bargain with you. They should expect a little bargaining. Hmm, some people have bad days, some good. And not all mom-and-pop stores are really that good at business. It's just something they threw together to make a little money, I'm sure. Being the best or professional probably doesn't enter the picture here.

Maybe they offered the REAL price the first time - instead of playing a whole bunch of stupid games.

I find that one out of every five vendors will do this and they are very dissapointed if you keep trying to bargain with them.

I find the whole thing stupid and the pushy foreigners who insist on doing it in stores with fixed prices need a kick up the arse! :o

Here's some traditional bargaining advice; If he asks for ten, he means eight and he wants six. So it's worth four. Offer two :D

Wife bargining at night market in CM for some copy perfume.They ask 800 she says 100 and they settle on 150. :o

The money saved can then be used to seek medical attention for the inevitable rash caused by the perfume!

Maybe they offered the REAL price the first time - instead of playing a whole bunch of stupid games.

I find that one out of every five vendors will do this and they are very dissapointed if you keep trying to bargain with them.

I find the whole thing stupid and the pushy foreigners who insist on doing it in stores with fixed prices need a kick up the arse! :o

That's very true. If you come on too strong with vendors who have not been schooled in business by dealing with people who have lived or worked in Africa or the Middle East and have adapted the habit of screaming, complaining and causing a huge scene when bargaining (which seemed to work really well in Ethiopia but usually not so well in Thailand), you can easily find the vendor gets so offended he or she refuses to deal with you altogether. I've seen this a number of times.

Excuse me, I object! I'm a woman & would never shop like that - go in, find what you want, pay for it (if price is too high, go elsewhere!). All these shenanigans... :D I suppose people need their little hobbies... :o

What I dislike is almost "Good Cop Bad Cop". One vendor is nice and is probably willing to bargain and go down in price. Then the next door vendor gets a bee up her butt and says in Thai, "Heck no, that guy should pay more! He's got the money! Don't let him get away for less than 800 baht!"

The first one is hesitant, since she needs a sale. But the heckler vendor, she doesn't care about whether a sale is made or not, only that the high / rip-off prices are maintained in the market. So she goes on and on about cheap people, and acts as the "Bad Cop." She drives the price up several hundred baht, and WON'T SHUT UP! I've had this happen to me twice.

I need a solution to shut the heckler up. I tried telling her to mind her own business. Usually what happens is that her yelling and the high prices drive me away, and no one but her is happy. The vendor is not happy - a sale is not made. I am not happy - I didn't get what I wanted. Only she is happy, because she drove away her neighbor's sale. Ah, the Joneses!

One thing I did notice, yes, Chinese-Thai merchants are quite shrewd, but have never really jipped me. I TRULY like the Chinese. They seem to have a long-term strategy to selling. Be nice, be polite, give a little bit, and be shrewd. Don't jip people, because people have long memories. I like working with the Chinese. They have a long-term strategy, unlike some (not all) Thai's who just want to wring every baht out of your pocket!

I tried to return a oversized backpack cover to a shop in Phi Phi once. It was way too big, but the lady had given it to me after I pointed to a similarly-sized backpack in her store and said, "That big." But it was way too big. So I wanted to return it, and get a SMALLER (and cheaper!) one. No deal. No returns, no takebacks, do not pass go. Nothing. I asked to bring the police, they tried to bluff me, and when I was waiting around, they never called the police. I finally left, going to a Chinese camping merchant, and he really worked me (but I liked it.) I took my backpack cover (worth 400 baht), traded a posh hiking camp for it, I returned (gasp!) some mosquitoe netting I didn't need (full 200 baht refund), then sold me on over 2000 baht worth of stuff: a backpack for my girlfriend, some batteries, and other stuff. He made out! And I got everything I wanted a more.

I like doing business with folks like that. Willing to give a little to get a lot. If a person won't give even just a little bit with me, I'll move on.

If however, the price is straight, then I'll take it of course. It's a shame people just don't tack on 10-20 baht. Then they can go down just a bit, and still offer a competitive price right out the gate. Most Chinese do that.

It's a shame people just don't tack on 10-20 baht. Then they can go down just a bit, and still offer a competitive price right out the gate. Most Chinese do that.

That suits you, but how about people who just want too offer things at the real price to everybody - even people that aren't pushy - rather than bickering with idiots who won't accept any price and just want to argue with someone so they can walk away in the end unless the seller makes no profit at all?

The whole system is a waste of time. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.