Nigerian man, Thai woman held over ‘romance' scam

webfact

Nigerian man, Thai woman held over ‘romance' scam

By The Nation

00.jpg

Picture: INN

Police have arrested a Thai woman and a Nigerian man for having allegedly deceived at least three Thai women to transfer them some Bt444,900 in a romance scam.

Acting immigration police chief Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal told a press conference on Wednesday that Chigozie Orisakwe, 41, and Panhathai Chermchan, 37, were arrested under a September warrant issued by the Criminal Court.

Surachet said victim Pojaman Sudngam filed a complaint saying she was deceived into transferring money to the gang.

The Nigerian allegedly used a Facebook account pretending to be a western man, Owen Daniel, and a Line account as Lucy Kenneth to chat to the victims and later deceived them to transfer money for the cost of mailed gifts' customs clearance.

Surachet said at least three women have been deceived.

The Thai woman allegedly pretended to be a customs official who called the victims to encourage them to transfer money, Surachet added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355714

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-03

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

and a Line account as Lucy Kenneth to chat to the victims and later deceived them to transfer money for the cost of mailed gifts' customs clearance.

Not exactly a new scam.

Over ten years ago I was chatting to a Thai female member of staff at the company I worked for.

She had received an unsolicited call via Skype from a "Dutch" guy. After a couple of calls he offered her a job and a working visa, looking after his kids in Holland.

He sent her the cash for everything she needed to pay for, via a personal courier.

Unfortunately, the courier's flight went via Malaysia and customs there impounded the undeclared cash. She would have to pay customs 20,000 Baht to clear the cash - via Moneygram to someone personally, with what sounded to me like an African name.

That was when I got involved and made her realise it was a scam. I found it listed on the net as a common type of scam too.

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Not exactly a new scam.

Over ten years ago I was chatting to a Thai female member of staff at the company I worked for.

She had received an unsolicited call via Skype from a "Dutch" guy. After a couple of calls he offered her a job and a working visa, looking after his kids in Holland.

He sent her the cash for everything she needed to pay for, via a personal courier.

Unfortunately, the courier's flight went via Malaysia and customs there impounded the undeclared cash. She would have to pay customs 20,000 Baht to clear the cash - via Moneygram to someone personally, with what sounded to me like an African name.

That was when I got involved and made her realise it was a scam. I found it listed on the net as a common type of scam too.

Friend of mine got hit with exactly the same scam around that same time.  It wasn't easy to talk her out of it.  I think they involve maybe 30 or 40 women at the same time.

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to a lot of racists post asking for the extermination of all nigerians, interestingly those comments don't exist if the nationality was Malaysian or romanian etc. The racism from the users of this board is insanely dark, Read on, you'll see them pop up soon.

2 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

Looking forward to a lot of racists post asking for the extermination of all nigerians, interestingly those comments don't exist if the nationality was Malaysian or romanian etc. The racism from the users of this board is insanely dark, Read on, you'll see them pop up soon.

This thread has been active for 17 hours and not one of the posts that you predicted has appeared .

You are the only one who is bring race into the equation .

Well done to the other posters for not making this a racial issue , why do you feel the need to do so ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jingjock said:

Had 14 skype messages in one night, all from africa, now anything that looks remotely like an african, I run a mile away now.

Good for you Jingjok not many members on here can "run a mile" these days......????

• Like 1

I would love to have the contract that produces these jumbo size heavy duty vinyl banners. He seems to have a new one every day of the week and for every crime and they must cost a fortune. Vinyl is a synthetic product made from ethylene and chlorine; it is just another form of plastic. What they do with them after their use by date is anybody's guess. 

Perhaps those with the life size photo of Big Joke himself could end up being collectors items as his self created fame grows. Modesty is certainly not one of his characteristics.

Big Joke.jpeg

On 10/4/2018 at 9:36 AM, jessebkk1 said:

Those Nigerian scammers should use their Nigerian names instead of pretending to be white people. The Nigerians are being racists about themselves.