Windows 10 1809 Fall update

damole

Yea, I'm going to wait also.  I had major problems when going to 1703 (or maybe it was 1709) on both my Lenovo laptops which required me to do a OS reset on both.  The problem didn't surface until days after the update.   Ever since then I've been gun-shy on these major Win 10 Feature updates so I now delay Feature updates by 30 days.   

I have Win 10 "Pro" on both laptops which allow you delay/pause Feature updates (i.e., like going from 1803 to 1809) and Quality updates (i.e., normal Win 10 Cumulative updates).   I delay Feature upgrades like 1809 for approx 30 days to give MS time to find and fix bugs it didn't catch before releasing to the public.

• Like 1

I updated yesterday, but it did take a while. I began at 11.50am. At 1.10pm it threw error code 0x8024401f (internal server error). I hit the retry button 10 minutes later at 1.20pm. It finally finished at 8.00pm. A total of 6hrs 40 mins. Everything seems to be working fine. The File Explorer Dark Theme is a nice improvement.

I updated overnight, all went OK. 

Thankfully I only have one box running Win 10, these 'Feature' updates are no small undertaking, I invariably hesitate when it's time to restart.

Edited by Stocky

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

I updated overnight, all went OK. 

Thankfully I only have one box running Win 10, these 'Feature' updates are no small undertaking, I invariably hesitate when it's time to restart.

yea, the restart process after the initial features download/install step is "butt-puckering" time as you watch and hope Windows successfully gets thru the restart process.   Getting back to the Windows main screen after a successful restart is almost an orgasmic feeling.   :laugh:

2 hours ago, Pib said:

download/install step is "butt-puckering" time .... a successful restart is almost an orgasmic feeling. 

I prefer to have butt puckering and orgasms just once a year or less as I get older... why is win10 doing this just to get a new snip & sketch app I could have downloaded from someone else it a fraction the time?

2 hours ago, Pib said:

is "butt-puckering" time as you watch and hope Windows successfully gets thru the restart process.

By comparison the 6 monthly update cycles on Linux Mint don't elicit the same sense of trepidation, they also don't take half a day to download, install, update and restart.

More bugs and some projected fix dates for 1809.  Yeap, as I mentioned earlier, I now prefer to delay/pause a major update of Win 10 (e.g., 1803 to 1809) for approx 30 days and I can easily do that with the Win 10 Pro version.  I like to wait until MS releases one or two bug patches which usually occurs within the first 30 days....or first few weeks.

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/win10-version-1809-buglog-including-troubling-tales-of-lost-user-data/

Win10 version 1809 buglog – including troubling tales of lost user data

Posted on October 4th, 2018 at 08:05 

I’m keeping a log of bugs that are uncovered in the just-released Win10 version 1809. Not that I recommend you install it, mind you — quite the opposite. But I figure the world could use a one-stop bug shop, to stay on top of things.

So far, we have one officially recognized bug:

Intel Audio displays an intcdaud.sys notification. Microsoft and Intel have identified a compatibility issue with a range of Intel Display Audio device drivers that may result in excessive processor demand and reduced battery life. As a result, the update process to Windows 10, version 1809 fails (KB4465877).

Customers who see this notification when setting up their Windows 10 October 2018 Update have an Intel Audio Display device driver (intcdaud.sys, versions 10.25.0.3 – 10.25.0.8) installed on their systems.

On the “What needs your attention notification”, select the backbutton to remain on your current version of Windows 10.

And a bunch of unacknowledged problems, with the most distressing involving deleted user data:

• I’m seeing reports all over about user data getting deleted during the upgrade. Still don’t see a unifying cause. (Brad Sams has an independent report on Petri.com.)
  • Various user folders (in this case C:\Users\Public\Documents and C:\Users\<user>\Documents) disappear.
  • Entire user profiles disappear. In this case, the problem may be with the Group Policy setting “Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart.” But this thread says that’s bunk, because the problem occurs on Home machines.
  • Deleted almost all the data on a solid state drive. It’s possible that the data was shuffled off to OneDrive, and is sitting there awaiting a full sync.
  • There’s the always-reliable problem set with the isntaller trying to bring in bad drivers.
  • The installer uninstalls CCleaner — which may be a bug or a feature, your choice.

The known problems with Task Manager are supposedly solved in the next-next version of Win10, RS6 version 19H1, which moved to build 18252 yesterday:

• We fixed the issue causing Task Manager to report inaccurate CPU usage.
  • We fixed the issue where the arrows to expand “Background processes” in Task Manager blink constantly and weirdly.

Of course, that doesn’t fix the bug in Win10 version 1809, but it’s likely that we’ll see a fix in the first cumulative update (which I expect next Tuesday).

There are the usual problems with PCs that don’t upgrade properly — an HP notebook, for example, that hangs during the upgrade process and another report blaming UX Patcher.

Have you hit a bug? If so, please reply to this post and include links whenever possible.

Apparently the latest version of CCleaner which a lot of people use (but not me) is not fully incompatible with 1809....Piriform the maker of CCleaner says they are working a fix.

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52706-547-partially-brokenwin-10-1809/

Thank you for reporting. We are aiming to fix this for the next release. Keep your eyes on the Beta Releases forum as we may publish it there first to get the fix out more quickly.

I understand your perspective and used to do the same thing.  My current laptop is only month old and so I wouldn't be too unhappy to clean install Windows as I didn't make my clean system image the first time I installed Windows.  As it has a Core i7-8750H and a Samsung Evo 970 M.2 NVME drive for the boot drive it doesn't take too long to install.   All my data is on the 2.5" SATA SSHD drive so I don't have to worry so much about the data and of course I backed it all up when I migrated from my old laptop recently.

best thing about this update is that you can use Dark mode with Windows Explorer.

in Settings, write "color settings" in the search, click that and then scroll all the way down for the option

now I just wish it would apply to task manager as well but oh well!

• 4 weeks later...

And as of 31 Oct/10pm Thailand time 1809 is still paused for public release per MS webpage below.  Now it was resumed around 10 Oct for those folks on their "Insider" (a.k.a., beta version testers)...but still paused for mass release to the general public.

image.png.0b5ffc4dfa10103b02299b25b74f449f.png

And per below 22 Oct Softpedia News article they thought 1809 was going to resume within days....but that was 9 days ago now.  I expect the MS wants to be triple sure there will not be any major bugs once they resume 1809 release because the File Deletion/Data Loss bug some folks experienced during the upgrade process gave 1809 a black eye....resuming it again and another major bug(s) appearing would be very, very bad.   

Now if MS don't resume release today, the last day of Oct, I guess a person could say this File Deletion bug caused MS to miss its every six month major Win 10 update/upgrade to the masses....but they'll probably say technically they still met that schedule since they did release it for a few days in early Oct before pausing it.  Time will tell....maybe today...the last day of Oct...will be the resume day.  But I will still hold off around two weeks after it resumes before I do the 1809 upgrade just to play it safe. 

https://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-might-resume-windows-10-version-1809-rollout-in-just-a-few-days-523351.shtml

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

And as of 31 Oct/10pm Thailand time 1809 is still paused for public release per MS webpage below.  Now it was resumed around 10 Oct for those folks on their "Insider" (a.k.a., beta version testers)...but still paused for mass release to the general public.

image.png.0b5ffc4dfa10103b02299b25b74f449f.png

And per below 22 Oct Softpedia News article they thought 1809 was going to resume within days....but that was 9 days ago now.  I expect the MS wants to be triple sure there will not be any major bugs once they resume 1809 release because the File Deletion/Data Loss bug some folks experienced during the upgrade process gave 1809 a black eye....resuming it again and another major bug(s) appearing would be very, very bad.   

Now if MS don't resume release today, the last day of Oct, I guess a person could say this File Deletion bug caused MS to miss its every six month major Win 10 update/upgrade to the masses....but they'll probably say technically they still met that schedule since they did release it for a few days in early Oct before pausing it.  Time will tell....maybe today...the last day of Oct...will be the resume day.  But I will still hold off around two weeks after it resumes before I do the 1809 upgrade just to play it safe. 

https://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-might-resume-windows-10-version-1809-rollout-in-just-a-few-days-523351.shtml

I'm on the Release Preview Ring and kb4464455 arrived this morning (zip file fix). I personally haven't experienced any problems with 1809. The Dark Theme is a good improvement. 

Yea, the zip file problem (unintentional file overwrite which is a form of data loss) is what a lot of folks seem to think is the probable reason 1809 distro hasn't been resumed.  Especially since the zip file issue was discovered about a week after they paused distro for the main file deletion issue. 

This is just one of those major releases that had a major issue---sh$t happens.   Thank goodness they caught it early before many people had installed 1809 and since it didn't affect everyone who installed 1809....just certain configurations.