Conservative lawmaker calls on UK PM May to resign just minutes before speech

snoop1130

Conservative lawmaker calls on UK PM May to resign just minutes before speech

LONDON (Reuters) - British Conservative lawmaker James Duddridge on Wednesday called on Prime Minister Theresa May to resign just minutes before she took the stage for the party’s annual conference.

“Theresa May is not the right person... Boris Johnson yesterday was inspirational. We can have a transformational leader. We can have a different choice,” Duddridge told Sky News, saying he had written to the 1922 committee of senior Conservative lawmakers to call for May’s resignation.

“I don’t know any Conservative MPs that expect Theresa May to be leading us in the next general election,” he said. “Given that’s the case, let’s get on, let’s make the change now and let’s get someone that believes in Brexit delivering Brexit.”

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Only a fool would take over in the present situation. 

Only if that person would stick to Brexit. That was her mistake from the beginning on; to accept a job offer that came with an impossible job to achieve job description, and even to buy into that nonsense.

Every half-smart leader know what to do first when having to turnaround a sinking ship: you shake things up. Clearly point out who was/is responsible; get rid of the troublemakers; demand what you need; walk into the right direction.

I would have told everyone clearly that the nonsense people were told cannot be achieved and will never be on the table. Period. I would have demanded the best advisors, and free rein doing whatever is best for the country. I would never have accepted a job that can only damage my reputation. She was a naive little girl walking right into a trap. 

There would be a chance for someone (and a party) to take over now. But that one would need to have the commitment that he can call the whole Desaster off. The people would appreciate it big times. Tory would be history; that person would be a legend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TommyUK1960 said:

It was always wrong that they allowed a remainer to be Prime Minister. After Boris's inspirational speech she has to change her plans or step down. She has always been useless.

People voted to leave and understood it was going to be difficult through the divorce process. EU dictatorship is dyeing and the quicker the better.  

OK lets have a Brexiteer at the helm, and really <deleted> up the UK...

Edited by Basil B
  • Haha 2

Even more so after that entry today for her speech. I’ve never seen a more embarrassing cringeworthy effort than her “dancing”on her way to the podium to ABBA’ s Dancing Queen. 

Christ who is advising her. Give me strength. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Even more so after that entry today for her speech. I’ve never seen a more embarrassing cringeworthy effort than her “dancing”on her way to the podium to ABBA’ s Dancing Queen. 

Christ who is advising her. Give me strength. 

Hard Brexiteers prefer Headbanging White Noise.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Only if that person would stick to Brexit. That was her mistake from the beginning on; to accept a job offer that came with an impossible job to achieve job description, and even to buy into that nonsense.

Every half-smart leader know what to do first when having to turnaround a sinking ship: you shake things up. Clearly point out who was/is responsible; get rid of the troublemakers; demand what you need; walk into the right direction.

I would have told everyone clearly that the nonsense people were told cannot be achieved and will never be on the table. Period. I would have demanded the best advisors, and free rein doing whatever is best for the country. I would never have accepted a job that can only damage my reputation. She was a naive little girl walking right into a trap. 

There would be a chance for someone (and a party) to take over now. But that one would need to have the commitment that he can call the whole Desaster off. The people would appreciate it big times. Tory would be history; that person would be a legend. 

That person might end up hanging from a lamppost, thereby becoming a legend.

almost 2 years to sort this out and it seems it has been 2 years wasted with May not doing the job she was elected to do. What the hell was with her dancing on the walk to the podium to speech? she looked like and is acting like a clown, not the leader of a great nation.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, guest879 said:

almost 2 years to sort this out and it seems it has been 2 years wasted with May not doing the job she was elected to do. What the hell was with her dancing on the walk to the podium to speech? she looked like and is acting like a clown, not the leader of a great nation.

I dread to think what the EU leaders were thinking when they saw her. 

38 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You do realise, don't you, that Boris Johnson is not standing up for what was has been a long held ideological position of his, but is shamelessly exploiting the division he helped create in a bid to promote himself above all others?

Micheal Heseltine has said Boris Johnson waits to see which way the crowd is running before jumping to the front and yelling “follow me”.

there are many on the international scene that work along those principles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You do realise, don't you, that Boris Johnson is not standing up for what was has been a long held ideological position of his, but is shamelessly exploiting the division he helped create in a bid to promote himself above all others?

Micheal Heseltine has said Boris Johnson waits to see which way the crowd is running before jumping to the front and yelling “follow me”.

Much the same as the vast majority of politicians - and May is a prime example....

But I do agree that Boris is an even worse example of this type of politician ☹️.  It's inconceivable (?.....) that he could ever be elected as PM.

• Like 1

Boris had his chance to become PM when Cameron resigned; had he not withdrawn then he almost certainly would have won.

But for all he projects a public image of an amiable bufoon who can't keep it in his trousers, he is actually highly intelligent.

He knew that whoever was PM during the Brexit negotiations couldn't win. Whatever deal is reached, half the party, and country, wouild hate it and blame whoever was the PM. He wants no part of that.

Instead he took the long view, seeing himself as some sort of white knight who will come to the rescue of party and country after Brexit.

Love her or hate her, and her attempt to make a joke of her embarrasment in South Africa was ill advised, at least we know where May stands: "I think Brexit is a mistake, but it's what the country voted for so I will do my best to obtain the best deal possible; which I believe is the Chequers one."

What does Boris stand for? It depends on what's popular today!

As for Corbyn; leader of a party which criticises Tory Brexit policy, but doesn't appear to have any of it's own!

• Like 2

She was only a remainer as she did not want to appear disloyal to the then leader Cameron and scupper her future prospects. She then went into hiding during the campaign earning the nickname of submarine. Boris is an opportunist who dithered about being a brexiteer or a remainer until he saw the chance to advance his own leadership prospects. I despair if this intelligent clown is the future.

• Like 1