China slams 'irresponsible' United States over shelved security talks

webfact

China slams 'irresponsible' United States over shelved security talks

2018-10-04T021015Z_1_LYNXNPEE93054_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-NUCLEAR-CHINA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Hua Chunying, spokeswoman of China's Foreign Ministry, speaks at a regular news conference in Beijing, China, January 6, 2016. REUTERS/Jason Lee

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China's foreign ministry criticised the United States for suggesting that Beijing was behind the cancellation of sensitive security talks planned for this month, underscoring the severity of trade tensions between the world's two biggest economies.

China's foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement late on Wednesday suggestions made by a U.S. official that China had delayed the talks "completely distorted the facts, had a hidden motive and were extremely irresponsible".

A senior U.S. official told Reuters on Sunday that China had cancelled a security meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis that had been planned for October.

"China is extremely dissatisfied with this. The facts are that the United States a few days ago told China it hoped to postpone the second round of the China Diplomatic and Security Dialogue," Hua said.

"We request related parties stop this sort of behaviour of making something out of nothing and spreading rumours," she said.

Beijing and Washington are locked in a spiralling trade war, with frictions between them threatening to move beyond trade.

The meeting of the U.S. China Diplomatic and Security Dialogue, which first took place in Washington last year, was due to be held with Mattis and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

China said on Tuesday it had postponed the talks with the United States at the request of Washington.

Reuters reported last week, citing sources briefed on the matter, that the key diplomatic and security meeting may not take place due to tensions in relations.

(Reporting by Adam Jourdan; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-04

Apparently there was a very close call today at South China Sea, where US and Chinese military ships almost collided together. 

What good that would bring to the rest of us?

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

Please provide your credentials as an international spokesperson. Otherwise, your comments are personal and don't reflect the "international" sentiment, whatever that may be.

Lol.... credentials.... ???????????? when the gathered leaders of this planet, join in laughing at the potus.... that would be an international reaction conveying their feelings, or sentiment.... which was laughter.... or derision (I threw derision in as a suggestion for a word to use to explain “sentiment”... lol)... their credentials will be well published, I think... check that if you think it a talking point.

but you introduced “sentiment”.... so I shouldn’t have to attempt to explain what you mean

and yes... my comments are personal, but that does not mean I’m unqualified to make them, or that opinions reflected are wrong.

to defuse your ire, let’s examine this premise;

(Statement) i believe war criminals should be held accountable for war crimes. Any country that does not, has a deficit of honor and credibility.

thats an internationally applicable comment..... its my personal view, and I believe, reflective of most sane peoples view. How qualified do I have to be to hold or repeat this view? And should I have to have (or produce) accreditation to do so?.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

when the gathered leaders of this planet, join in laughing at the potus....

Like we give a hoot if the Peoples Republic of Poopistan laughs.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Like we give a hoot if the Peoples Republic of Poopistan laughs.......

Sure you do;otherwise you would not be posting and your crazed president would not be a'twittering would he?

More to the point-who gives a tweet about you?

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure you do;otherwise you would not be posting and your crazed president would not be a'twittering would he?

More to the point-who gives a tweet about you?

Well you responded. And me..I am Millwall!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, observer90210 said:

Seems that one is not any better then the other.....

Some sort of a montessori playground brawl....

Agreed and it certainly hasn't got any better in the last 100 thousand years or so..

A whole lot more bull droppings and spin but the extremely primitive basics remain just about the same.

A fact duly noted by Herman Goering and a whole host of others including Theodore Roosevelt.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, farcanell said:

A good display of your grasp on national pride.... YEAH!

the world laughs at your president and you neither care, nor understand why.... YEAH!

A really stupid, drunk, frat boy answer... YEAH!

Anyway.... i remember a man, some time ago, who was very worried about y’all being the end of y’all... and with attitudes towards allies, and others, as displayed by yourself, perhaps that man was right to be concerned

B6A64A1B-5F8B-43FA-A42F-2B072D817ACD.png

You should check your meds, maybe that last batch was expired. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Benmart said:

A somewhat juvenile and deflective response.

But when the response is well balanced and logical, including allegorical examples to simplify the issue, you ignore that, which is equally as juvenile and worse than deflective.... calling your qualifications to participate into question, unless you have credentials to share with us, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

A somewhat juvenile and deflective response.

Do you have ANY qualifications as an international spokesman?

If not then your comments are merely personal too.

How do know what the international sentiment really is?

Have you spoken to many people in countries other than your own? Perhaps you personally organised an international poll and if you did can you post the results here on TVF, with the questions of course?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its a war..not a shooting one but a war nonetheless with one winner. Choose sides wisely.

I'm not afraid, I will die with everyone else.  It will be a spectacular battle~no need for fiction anymore!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its a war..not a shooting one but a war nonetheless with one winner. Choose sides wisely.

The US should enact a trade embargo against China, just as it did against Japan in the 1930s.  And, yes, they should be taking names of just who decides to go with China and let them suffer the consequences.

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

The US should enact a trade embargo against China, just as it did against Japan in the 1930s.  And, yes, they should be taking names of just who decides to go with China and let them suffer the consequences.

That didn't go down that well either.

How many human casualties were there then. Millions IIRC.

The USA is no longer the be all and all of the world and in its own way has caused millions of human tragedies in the many wars it has started since WW2.

Perhaps the world should consider a trade embargo on the USA who would suffer the most.

The USA would probably threaten to close all their overseas bases and bring their troops home. Home to what? No jobs, no homes for them. The US defence industry would collapse if they had no one to fight, the aircraft industry would collapse without overseas sales.

Be careful what you wish for as you may get it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I disagree. That trade embargo in the 30s led to Pearl Harbour. Embargo is not the answer. Weakening them is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Ha ha ... a bankrupt country with not much manufacturing base wanting to enact a trade embargo against its largest creditor and hoarder of t bills? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1