Jump to content

Thai economy expected to hit 4.5 per cent, says World Bank


webfact

Recommended Posts

Thai economy expected to hit 4.5 per cent, says World Bank

By The Nation

 

4203f3f940150068a7840cf84da646cf.jpeg

 

Thailand's economy will grow 4.5 per cent this year, 0.4 percentage points higher than forecast in April this year, the World Bank said on Thursday.

 

Public spending on infrastructure projects has been driving economic growth, which is at a faster pace since 2013, according to the World Bank East Asia and Pacific Economic Update released on Thursday in Manila.

 

However, over the medium term, Thailand needs to improve its human capital and education system to increase its competitiveness, Sudhir Sherry, World Bank chief economist for the East Asia and Pacific said via a video conference.

 

Thailand’s growth is expected to slow down to 3.9 per cent in 2019 and 2020.

 

While growth in developing East Asia and Pacific countries is expected to be 6.3 per cent in 2018, lower than 2017 of 6.6 per cent, due to the continued moderation in China's growth as its economy continues to rebalance.

 

Risks include the impact of trade disputes and financial market turbulence, caused by the US rate rise, which has led to capital outflows from emerging markets, the Bank warned.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355780

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-04
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s growth is expected to slow down to 3.9 per cent in 2019 and 2020.

And that's if current economic and political status quo continues.
Otherwise the slowdown might be much greater.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might this supposed growth trickle down to benefit [or reflect] the general population - the real base of the economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah right 'o, is this the real data or the fudging data to make it look whoopee gold rush time. Apart from the stock market companies and their massive conglomerates(who are increasing growth), i look around and see a economy on a local scale decreasing. Less spending, less new cars, more rent/sales signs

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Might this supposed growth trickle down to benefit [or reflect] the general population - the real base of the economy.

Since the military coup it hasn't.

ANALYSIS: Growing wealth gap belies reform

Indicators look good on paper but discrepancy between rich and poor has continued to widen under the junta.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30345955

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's economy will grow 4.5 per cent this year,

The economy they talk about is the white economy which is only 59% of the total economy. The other 41% is the black economy. So how can any conclusions be drawn from these outwardly glowing statistics.

The growth of the economy might even be +5% or - 3% but no one really knows what the black economy is so how can a conclusion be drawn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...