AIS - New Internet Subscription

anchadian

We have been with True internet now for many years and have decided enough is enough.

The last problem I had with them was that the technicians were working on the network around our area which stopped the connection for approx 13 hrs.  We were not informed of this stoppage (not like the banks).  Our only way of knowing what was the problem was to call them.  They certainly inform you on-line if you are overdue with your bill.

This morning, along with my Thai wife, I visited an AIS shop and requested installation of the 100/40 package in my name at our townhouse.

I was ready to pay out for the installation costs, etc, approx B5,000 as advertised on their website but the agent in the shop informed my wife that if the package was in her name then it would only cost B699 + VAT per month on a 12 month contract.  Therefore, what I am saying is if a farang buys a package, he/she would have to pay the initial installation costs but a Thai national would not.....just commit to a 12 months contract.  Doesn't seem fair to me.

Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Did you try 3BB. I got in my own name, Bht 1800 for the router, free fitting, Bht 749 per month, 100/30. No problems at all.

No, I didn't.

Not bothered about whose name it's in, I was more confused (if that's the right word) with the different package prices for Thai and Farangs.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

No, I didn't.

Not bothered about whose name it's in, I was more confused (if that's the right word) with the different package prices for Thai and Farangs.

AIS give special price of 699 bahts/month to AIS Seranade members. Is your wife an AIS Seranade Customer?

image.png.af48e182b91a1bd376664bc8fa18875b.png

image.png.e79cdfe8cf5acd288688d061001a2915.png

Do what I do. Just subscribe to the 450 baht/month AIS unlimited 4g package on your phone. Then turn on the hotspot on your phone and connect to the internet like that. Saves money, no routers, power goes out and you still have internet because it's on your phone through 4g, and when you leave the house you have a full 4g unlimited internet package on your phone so no additional bill on top of the internet bill. 

OP,

3BB does the same 12 months up-front thing for farangs in some parts of Thailand....doesn't seem to be any pattern...just happens to some farangs/in some areas.

Little surprised to hear AIS Fibre doing it.  I've been with AIS Fibre for a little over two years now....account in my name (I be a farang here in Bangkok) and didn't not have to pay any big installation cost (I think back then it was Bt1000 although they adverised the installation cost to be much higher).  Now the actual installation cost is Bt650 although AIS still values it close to Bt5,000. 

Where you mention an installation cost of around Bt5,000, that's just what AIS estimates it to be valued at....they don't actually charge that.  See snapshot from their website below.   Ditto for other Thai ISPs where they advertised Free or low cost installation costs "valued at a much higher price" which makes you feel like you are getting a big discount.

You can get the account in your name.  However, Thai companies feel more comfortable when they can get the account in a Thai national name using their Thai ID card as it makes going after unpaid bills much easier compared to a farang who can easily skip country, farangs can be harder to communicate with due to the language barrier, etc.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_homeplus.html

image.png.d3692ecf3035b187f043fb113bb5a15d.png

9 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,

3BB does the same 12 months up-front thing for farangs in some parts of Thailand....doesn't seem to be any pattern...just happens to some farangs/in some areas.

Little surprised to hear AIS Fibre doing it.  I've been with AIS Fibre for a little over two years now....account in my name (I be a farang here in Bangkok) and didn't not have to pay any big installation cost (I think back then it was Bt1000 although they adverised the installation cost to be much higher).  Now the actual installation cost is Bt650 although AIS still values it close to Bt5,000. 

Where you mention an installation cost of around Bt5,000, that's just what AIS estimates it to be valued at....they don't actually charge that.  See snapshot from their website below.   Ditto for other Thai ISPs where they advertised Free or low cost installation costs "valued at a much higher price" which makes you feel like you are getting a big discount.

You can get the account in your name.  However, Thai companies feel more comfortable when they can get the account in a Thai national name using their Thai ID card as it makes going after unpaid bills much easier compared to a farang who can easily skip country, farangs can be harder to communicate with due to the language barrier, etc.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_homeplus.html

image.png.d3692ecf3035b187f043fb113bb5a15d.png

Thanks Pib, that's just what I thought.

Bye True and hello AIS.

Archived