Opening A Bank Account In Thailand

Anyone had any experience in this area ?

I know all banks are different when it comes to deciding if a farang can open a savings account. Ranging from "difficult" by needing a visa/work permit, to "simple" by merely being in possession of a pulse !

But would they allow you to open an account with a PO box as an address ?

If memory serves me correctly, for a Bangkok Bank account you must provide an actual physical address, but can list your mailing address (PO Box) separately in the application.

I opened an account with Kasikornbank two weeks ago and it was very quick. All I needed was my passport with a tourist visa stamp and a PO Box address, which I opened on the way to the bank.

Since then I have transferred funds from overseas into the account and used the on-line banking service to make transfers within Thailand. When there was a hic-up with one transaction, I phoned their call centre and the problem was solved in minutes.

I think the question is not the banks, but the branches, them all seem to work on different standards. My history is kinda old but will let you have it.

2000 BOA in china town, no problem, later they wouldnt let me withraw my last 100 thb without closing the account, which they didn't recomment as they said the laws had been changed and tourists wouldnt be able to open accounts anymore.

2003 BB and SCB, Klong Toey, both complaint first, no WP no Acc, so how can I study and live here then? So they said OK. Lots of Thai language papers involved.

Good luck.

I know all banks are different when it comes to deciding if a farang can open a savings account. Ranging from "difficult" by needing a visa/work permit, to "simple" by merely being in possession of a pulse !

Back in October of '06, you needed a work permit to open up a bank account. I was in Thailand in January, and you're able to open a bank account. You need a form from the embassy saying that you live in your country of residence.

It took me almost two hours to open an bank account, including the wait time at the embassy. Once I got to the Bangkok Bank in Silom, I had asked about opening a non-resident account. They asked me why I wanted a non-resident account. They told me to open a regular savings account instead.

The only thing I don't like about this account is not having online access to it. They told me that I needed a work permit . I didn't understand that. Why do I need a work permit for online access? Ridicilous!

You may want to ask these people.

www.mysecurepost.com

I have just opened an account with them. Run by a Thai company. Look after everything on your behalf and give you your own PO box address in Thailand. They will handle your mail for you and can forward to anywhere in the world at Thai postal/EMS rates.

All done online and you even get a password protected account, which has to be worth the sign up fee alone !

Not sure about the bank side of things.

• 6 months later...

www.mysecurepost.com

I have just opened an account with them. Run by a Thai company. Look after everything on your behalf and give you your own PO box address in Thailand. They will handle your mail for you and can forward to anywhere in the world at Thai postal/EMS rates.

Hello,

have you ever received post through them?

I opened an account with mysecurepost.com in April 4th, 2007.

Because of a server problem they debited my CC twice for €136 two times.

After talking on the phone with Iaon (the boss there as far as I understood), after countless emails (will be refunded early next week, I'm sorry as I'm on the Philippines now, the check is in the mail) and after being in their office (they are in Patong and me in Rawai) I still didn't got any refund of the double payment today, August 21st, 2007.

As for the post box: I used it for opening a bank account, had a small parcel being send from Germany in May, a letter from Google US in June and a letter from Patong from myself as a test in July ---> still nothing in my Post Box.

And the emails stay unanswered.

It's a bunch of scammers as far as I can judge. maybe someone here has succeeded to receive some post through them?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't automatically go to Bangkok Bank thinking it is the most foreigner friendly bank just bacause it is the biggest. That may have been the case years ago. Banks such as Military Bank, Farmers Bank and others have gotten good reviews on the forums such as this one for availability of ATM, ease of opening accounts, transferring money, etc.; much better than Bangkok Bank. Customer service and technology at the smaller banks seems to have passed up BKK bank over the past few years.

All you need to open a Bank Account is :

- Passport / ID Card

If you're concered about PO Box, you just enter the PO Box of where you're living in.

Even if they ask for an additional document, it's either Visa or your country's ID Card.

Nothing more is ever needed.

you want to show you meen business get a certified copy of yr passport and give it to them when you apply ,along with the minimum amount of bahts needed to open account.

tell em you can stick that work permit where the sun dont shine...... only joking here.

im not sure but i dont think previous posters way is the way to go. i bet this way they tell you you need work permit.

Edited by blizzard

I think the question is not the banks, but the branches, them all seem to work on different standards.

I followed 3 posts on the forum and went to 3 different banks, the branches that were either clearly identified here or I could guess.

In all 3 posts, people opened their accounts with passport and tourist stamp.

In all 3 places I was asked to present work permit.

Not only a branch of a bank works differently, apparently the individual clerks within them have their own criterias too.

www.mysecurepost.com

Hello,

have you ever received post through them?

I opened an account with mysecurepost.com in April 4th, 2007.

Because of a server problem they debited my CC twice for €136 two times.

After talking on the phone with Iaon (the boss there as far as I understood), after countless emails (will be refunded early next week, I'm sorry as I'm on the Philippines now, the check is in the mail) and after being in their office (they are in Patong and me in Rawai) I still didn't got any refund of the double payment today, August 21st, 2007.

As for the post box: I used it for opening a bank account, had a small parcel being send from Germany in May, a letter from Google US in June and a letter from Patong from myself as a test in July ---> still nothing in my Post Box.

And the emails stay unanswered.

It's a bunch of scammers as far as I can judge. maybe someone here has succeeded to receive some post through them?

OK,

problem with mysecurepost.com solved.

After sending a "friendly" mail to the Head office in BKK I got a mail back... and today after 5 month they even handed me out my post in their office in Patong! For the refund of the double payment they have to wait until Iaon Couchman is out of hospital in the Philippines.

I will see.

Anyway...take care