Thais and Toyota Hi-Lux pickup trucks

RamenRaven

My girlfriend wanted a pick-up for the food smells. When we buy food, we always put it in the back of the car. I also feel a pick-up in general is a good choice on the country-side, where we live.

I wanted a Toyota because of the reliability and easy (so cheap) to repair. I wanted the 4-door version, because they're pretty comfortable to sit in the back, compared to the 2-door version. It's also easier for a long to get in and out of the car when sitting behind of course.

My girlfriend then wanted the "Rocco" version, probably for "face" reasons. 

So I don't know the Thai reasoning for the Toyota pick-ups, but perhaps they're similar to our reasoning.

Edited by wolf81

15 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Not Thailand i know, but throughout the middle east they are the vehicle of choice. Cheap, reliable, fixable anywhere. 

I like them. 

The gun mounts are optional.

And in the hands of ISIS (and others) probably only lasted a few weeks.

Gotta give it to Toyota - they know how to market to buyers that are going to provide regular re-orders! Toyota are up there with the armaments manufacturers. ????

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

My girlfriend wanted a pick-up for the food smells. When we buy food, we always put it in the back of the car. I also feel a pick-up in general is a good choice on the country-side, where we live.

I wanted a Toyota because of the reliability and easy (so cheap) to repair. I wanted the 4-door version, because they're pretty comfortable to sit in the back, compared to the 2-door version. It's also easier for a long to get in and out of the car when sitting behind of course.

My girlfriend then wanted the "Rocco" version, probably for "face" reasons. 

So I don't know the Thai reasoning for the Toyota pick-ups, but perhaps they're similar to our reasoning.

I was always told that a pick-up is not a real pick-up unless you can lay an 8 x 4 foot sheet of ply flat.  As 8 foot is around 2.44 metres there are not many real pick-ups available in Thailand. Less than that they only qualify as motorised shopping trollies

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

That used to be a selling point with Mercedes.  They all look the same for so many years that people don't realise you are still driving the same one.  In my old home country paint shops used to change colours on Mercedes just to make them look new (and a new series number plate), because no one new knew. 555    I love that most people cant tell if I drive a new Revo or an old Vigo at first glance if I have just washed it.  And you think Thais are stupid.   The same stupid that makes them buy a truck that wont look old is the same stupid that makes 68% of them buy an Isuzu or a Toyota.  They are the only two brands that Somchai can guarantee will always have the right parts available and service the vehicle correctly for him virtually anywhere in Thailand.  Not the same with Ford or some other exciting brands here, where people write that the part they want is often not available and the service department is useless in some towns.   37% buy Isuzu 31% buy Toyota Hilux.  That is 68% Ford, Mazda, Chevrolet, Tatra, Nissan & Mitsubishi shared the other 32%. (Tatra closed down manufacture recently. Couldn't find enough intelligent people to buy their trucks, maybe?????.) 

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

In the US it depends on where you live. Lots of folks in suburbia use PUs for carrying mulch and what not. ...

Mine was leased for 3 years by a former boss' wife.  They also had two cars, so it got little use.  I got it for just over the buyout price of the lease.  She went and bought a Saleen Mustang.

I currently have a couple problems with my '98. The cigarette lighter barely gets hot enough to light up.  And the radio/cassette player works when it feels like it. :cheesy:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Toyota Camry's driven by Thai office workers are far more comfortable and spacious.

So for you it's more acceptable that they get in deep depth for a camry what also looks the same everywhere? ????

5 hours ago, Esso49 said:

I was always told that a pick-up is not a real pick-up unless you can lay an 8 x 4 foot sheet of ply flat.  As 8 foot is around 2.44 metres there are not many real pick-ups available in Thailand. Less than that they only qualify as motorised shopping trollies

Not many 8 footers left in the USA either

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I currently have a couple problems with my '98. The cigarette lighter barely gets hot enough to light up.  And the radio/cassette player works when it feels like it.

Samaritans of Thailand 
P.O. Box 63
Por Nor For Santisuk
BANGKOK 
Contact by: Face to Face check-mark.gif - Phone check-mark.gif - Letter: check-mark.gif - E-mail: check-mark.gif
Hotline: (02) 713-6793
E-mail Helpline: [email protected] 
Hours: 
    Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 12:00 - 22:00

:cheesy: :cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

I've heard from a farang friend here that the Thai government is actually subsidizing pickup trucks for Thai buyers. I wonder if this is true.

How else would car dealers be able to sell these huge pickups to all the khao man gai vendors out there? If you were a khao man gai vendor in the UK or US, chances are you'd be denied a car loan for a huge pickup.

I am struggling to understand the intent of your post.  It reads more like some how you envy Thais for buying a new truck.  People buy vehicles for a myriad of reasons some for fun, some for specific purpose others to enjoy a new ride. Their money......

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

I am struggling to understand the intent of your post.  It reads more like some how you envy Thais for buying a new truck.  People buy vehicles for a myriad of reasons some for fun, some for specific purpose others to enjoy a new ride. Their money......

The purpose of this post is as stated in the first paragraph: why the trucks all look the same.

I do not envy truck owners. I am fine riding around on my bicycle.

On Friday, October 05, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Esso49 said:

Within your text you stated "Toyota Hi-Lux pickups have got to be more common than 7-Eleven's in Thailand"   . However 7-Eleven's generally have far prettier and better dressed people than most I have seen in a Toyota pick-up. ????

The town where I live has 3 7-Elevens but I would guess , roughly , 32 Hi-Lux .

• Haha 1

On Friday, October 05, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Justgrazing said:

Hahaha yeah .. A classic episode that .. And it still lived after the tower block demo at the end ..

All I can see is a big black square but I think you must refering to Top Gear , I would rather watch TG than a local trying to park his Hilo Hiso /Vigan thing with a bystander blowing a whistle and telling him/her which way to turn the sterring wheel.

• Haha 2