No taxi mafia in Chiang Mai, says media - but things may get worse with "Jet Car"

rooster59

No taxi mafia in Chiang Mai, says media - but things may get worse with "Jet Car"

2-435.jpg-435-696x419.jpg

Image: Chiang Mai News

Chiang Mai news said there was no public transport mafia in their city.

But transport services are constantly changing and the feuds between the red bus drivers, tuk-tuks and people like Grab are unresolved. 

In fact, said the media, things could only get more confused with the arrival of another company next year - "Jet Car".

Chiang Mai News gave no evidence for their assertions but said that the situation was something of a mess. 

There are 2,000 red song thaews, minibuses, modern buses, and tuk-tuks all vying for tourists. Add to that the two million locally registered motorbikes and you have a mess. 

Grab seems to be illegal but operate regardless. Though when Grab drivers are seen frequently in an area trouble can erupt - as happened recently with two tourists obliged to get out of a cab when a tuk-tuk driver threatened the Grab man with a club. 

There are taxi ranks and apps - but no mafia, said the media. Though some areas are no-go for Grab.

When Jet Car comes a further edge will come to the discussion on transport arrangements in the northern Thai city. 

They said Grab are now operating in 17 mainly tourism provinces in Thailand.

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-06

4-388.jpg-388-696x425.jpg

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Add to that the two million locally registered motorbikes and you have a mess.

nonsense. first, lots and lots of those motorbikes are for rent, and mostly sit idle waiting for tourists. second, a motorbike helps to reduce the mess, when compared to a car.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If Grab is illegal why doesn’t authorities put a stop to them?

What impact would that have on local businesses and especially on tourism.  
It would be interesting to see the monthly ride numbers for Chiang Mai.  

Used Grab taxi to go from my house to CM airport and cost 108baht. On my arrival last week an airport taxi driver who was heading to her car with a customer asked me did I want a ride. I said yes and told her where. She wanted 400baht. But she indicated to other passenger who was going further 200baht. I said too much and she said 250. As I had been awake over 30 hours I just wanted to get home and some sleep so I paid. 

My point? Some regulation needed in this non mafia run transport.

• Like 1

For the first time I experienced a GRAG cab in Chiang Mai just a couple of days ago. My Thai business friend ordered the cab for me and instructed the lady driver which hotel to go to. She started following voice instructions (in English) from her smart phone but got utterly confused. She negotiated narrow sois near the Night Bazaar and we ended back where we started - hilarious but annoying. Knowing Chiang Mai I took over the instructions giving left or right hand signals from the rear seat. We eventually reached the hotel after some considerable time. The cost was 100 baht - same as a tuk-tuk and 20 baht dearer than a red song taew. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 11:05 AM, worgeordie said:

No Mafia ?, but that's exactly how they act,protecting

their turf.

regards worgeordie

and what is wrong with that? you dont protect your own turf?

well, i sure do the same if i make my bread from that and feed my family and also sure help friends to protect their turf therefore families too if i was in that situation.

and that doesn't make me a mafia of course!

Just be fair.

Edited by Galactus

2 minutes ago, Galactus said:

well, i sure do the same if i make my bread from that and feed my family and also sure help friends to protect their turf therefore families too if i was in that situation.

Just be fair.

Yes violence is the answer,tourists numbers are down,no surpise

when it's not even safe just to take a Grab cab.,shooting themselves

in the foot,so nobody gets to eat.

regards worgeordie

On 10/6/2018 at 11:05 AM, worgeordie said:

No Mafia ?, but that's exactly how they act,protecting

their turf.

regards worgeordie

It's a typical case of using different definitions to suit an agenda. It's like when people in Thailand think paying a bribe is not corruption, just a 'gift' for expedited services. 

What Chiang Mai News is saying, is that there are no people in the transport business that are walking around in suits, wearing fedoras, and smoking cigars...you know, the mafia. And they'd be right.????

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 11:16 AM, Galactus said:

Just be fair.

Coming at a Grab car full of falang with a weapon and threatening violence in a beserk manner is hardly "protecting turf."

More like, ruining the industry.

How many folks watch that video and now will never step foot in a tuk tuk?

That guy didn't even have a license which means it isn't really his turf to protect.

That is what is clearly "wrong with that."

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 10:22 AM, YogaVeg said:

Coming at a Grab car full of falang with a weapon and threatening violence in a beserk manner is hardly "protecting turf."

More like, ruining the industry.

How many folks watch that video and now will never step foot in a tuk tuk?

That guy didn't even have a license which means it isn't really his turf to protect.

That is what is clearly "wrong with that."

well, that is the problem of authorities that cannot prevent an illegal taxi system. so citizens or concerned parties react by themselves bc law cannot help them somehow.

they should start to fine customers found in grab taxi cars that can lead to the bankrupt of grab taxi, at least Thai Grab Taxi.

please focus on the root of the problem, not for some poor guys protecting their turf. easy to blame such a guy.

• Confused 1

No mercy for the gang of cheats who drive the official metered taxis and tuk tuks in Thailand.

They are professionnal crooks and cheats. So some extra competition, prices crashing,  will create some heat that would be a good lesson to many. And the consumer will benefit from a smooth pick up, no cheating on refusing the meter and a smooth ride.

Customers are entitled to hail a taxi and not have to argue systematically on turning on the meter, not having the lazy driver choose his errands etc. etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone ever managed to get a taximeter to turn on the meter in Chiang Mai? 

Instead of chasing grab drivers they might want to learn how to turn on the meter. If they used meter I would call them any time just like I do when I'm in BKK..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2018 at 11:16 AM, Galactus said:

Just be fair.

Hoodlums, thugs, mafiosos, they use violence against competitors.

Good decent people adapt and try to outcompete the competition. They can join grab and use their taxi skills to get good ratings and become too earners in grab system. And they can start using the meter...

But no, they rather double down on the idiocy and keep overcharging, keep refusing meter and waste time chasing ghosts in form of grab drivers, imagined and real... And every time they make the news it's just free PR for grab. 

Adapt or die.

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear 
The fabulousness of Chang Mai seems to be getting a bit of a battering:
Clip Joints charging 160 000 for a couple of beers, rampaging ladyboys and mafia taxi wars .
I personally could never see the attraction, yes the surrounding countryside is pleasant if you can see it through the smog .
Otherwise a dull town - now with horrendous traffic 
Since you seem to be an expert on the subject regarding Ladyboy behavior in particular the rampaging type would you mind sharing with us where they are so we can avoid those areas. In my four years here I have never come across rampaging Ladyboys and your character assination of them is IMO totally <deleted>.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 4:49 PM, Galactus said:

they should start to fine customers found in grab taxi cars that can lead to the bankrupt of grab taxi, at least Thai Grab Taxi.

please focus on the root of the problem, not for some poor guys protecting their turf. easy to blame such a guy.

The root of the problem with your statement is you don't yet understand that Grab is allowed in Thailand:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ride-hailing-taxi-service-ok-cars-must-properly-registered/

On 10/12/2018 at 5:06 PM, observer90210 said:

Customers are entitled to hail a taxi and not have to argue systematically on turning on the meter

Precisely why I won't use taxis or tuk tuks anymore. I'm tired of arguing price with unhappy people trying to scam me.

The red trucks try to gouge too sometimes, but not as much money, and they are easy to walk away from because there will be another along in a minute. They tend to be friendlier it seems.

I like the blue bus more and more.

20 baht no arguments, nice drivers, safer and no fumes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Precisely why I won't use taxis or tuk tuks anymore. I'm tired of arguing price with unhappy people trying to scam me.

The red trucks try to gouge too sometimes, but not as much money, and they are easy to walk away from because there will be another along in a minute. They tend to be friendlier it seems.

I like the blue bus more and more.

20 baht no arguments, nice drivers, safer and no fumes.

I can't work out the blue busses.  Last time I was told it was going to central festival by the staff, got on.  Then told to get off as it was not going there, then get on the one behind. Only to be told that was not going there either.  Told to wait 30 minutes till next buss (in the full sun with no seats or shade).  So got a red songtaew that was passing by for 30 baht instead.