True Online 1Gbit packages start at 1599 baht

muratremix

12 hours ago, lapd said:

You will never get that sort of speed on most of your internet connections.  Probably only on connections that stay on the AIS or True network which would be almost none of them.

I get full 200 mbit speed when I download from google drive or google services (cloud?) using 3bb.

Yes you may not get 1gbit speed to USA or Europe but you can probably get most of it from Singapore servers. 

The router they currently supply, Huawei HG 8247H, with the 1 Gbps service is limited on the air (WiFi) interface to 300 Mbps. And this router can support 1 Gbps up and down on the GPON uplink.

I've seen NPERF results of ~ 945/115 on the True Online 1 Gbps service offer, although I'm not certain the router can really handle variable length packets (layer 3) is real-world applications, i.e. PPS and sessions?

The bundles would be more interesting with 4K UHD programming. But 1,599 is certainly an eye-catcher. Thanks.

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

The router they currently supply, Huawei HG 8247H, with the 1 Gbps service is limited on the air (WiFi) interface to 300 Mbps. And this router can support 1 Gbps up and down on the GPON uplink.

I've seen NPERF results of ~ 945/115 on the True Online 1 Gbps service offer, although I'm not certain the router can really handle variable length packets (layer 3) is real-world applications, i.e. PPS and sessions?

The bundles would be more interesting with 4K UHD programming. But 1,599 is certainly an eye-catcher. Thanks.

I don't think current WiFi standards are capable of 1Gbps.  I think 802.11ac is theoretically capable of 1.3Gbps (166MBps)  but the most you will ever get is about 750Mbps

Edited by lapd

What surprises me is this promotion is from True...and it's "on-the-offensive" type promotion.  By that I mean True has put out a package that significantly undercuts other ISP pricing for 1GB speed and it's just not a promotion that's a day late and dollar short to match another ISP's equivalent promotion.  True is actually going on the offensive.

I expect AIS, 3BB, and TOT fiber plans have really eat into True's customer base....and AIS  with their various TV packages has helped to eat into True's/TrueVisions TV package base.  This "eating" must be forcing True to go on the offensive versus being on the defensive.

But for me a 200Mb speed plan is all I can effectively use as the majority of my devices (end devices) connect via Wifi to my router....and the few devices that are connected by Ethernet such as TV boxes which only need around 25Mb speed to stream 4K video and VOIP adapters which only need around 100Kb speed just don't have a need for speed faster than around 25Mb.    And my computers/smartphones/tablets all connect via Wifi connection where getting 1Gb "real world" Wifi speed with current, retail technology just ain't going to happen....not even going to get close.

From short-term speed testing when my AIS Fibre 200/50 plan got upgraded for free to 300/300 for 3 days and one time again for 1 day, around 250Mb download/upload is all i can really get via Wifi connection "from typical connection distances/locations in my house...from places I actually use the devices."  To get the 300/300 I had to be within a few meters and no obstructions between the router and end device.....for those end devices that even had the capability to reach 300Mb....some don't even have that capability.  But with my current 200Mb speed plan I can easily get that 200Mb speed from typical use locations within my home on those devices that can handle 200Mb speed which most can.

I have a high end ASUS 86U router which can easily handle 300Mb Wifi speed.  Unfortunately some of my Wifi end devices can not handle 300Mb speed...and the ones that can appear to just barely make it to a little over 300/300 speed (around 325Mb) at close range from other testing I've done using my NAS as the internet source which generates speed exceeding 300Mb by a good amount....and from testing during the the AIS Fibre short term upgrade to 300Mb speed.

A Wifi chain is no faster than the slowest link in the chain....no use upgrading one end of the chain to a  really fast internet plan such as 1Gb if other end end is not upgraded also/can't even come close to handling 1Gb speed.

I'll probably be staying with my 200Mb speed plan for a long time as that's all I can effectively and routinely use on a day-to-day basis since most of my connections are via Wifi.  But if my ISP wants to offer a faster plan say around 300Mb say for only around a 100 baht more than I'm paying now for my 200Mb plan, well, I would upgrade.  I couldn't really use that 300Mb speed on many of my devices but in some cases I could on some devices....so I would fork another 100 baht.

• Like 1