Prostate biopsy with general anaesthetic - costs?

Card

Hi I am looking around for the costs for a prostate biopsy under GENERAL ANAESTHETIC.. Anyone had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE of costs in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai (willing to travel).

Today I was given an estimate of 70,000 baht for the biopsy plus 15000 baht for a 2-day stay in hospital at Bangkok Christian Hospital, and 130,000-160,000 incl 1 night in hospital with the Bangkok Nursing Home.

Not interested in local anaesthetic, thx.

Any further help with a good doctor/hospital appreciated.

Believe those should be a good representative of low and high private hospital prices.  Sorry can not help with specific recommendations but believe Sheryl will return on 15th and may be able to advise if you can wait.

I had one done in BKK Pattaya hospital

You do not need to stay in hospital over night even with an anesthetic - and yes I was knocked out.

The best Urologist by far in this area is Dr Nitti https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=207&c=1&depid=28

Note : you should have an MRI Prostrate scan first before any biopsy

^^^ I had a CT Scan before a biopsy at Pattaya International Hospital, Dr Jessada. Seems to me you need to locate any suspicious objects before going in with the sampler. Don't remember the cost but I was not knocked out. Seem to remember about 17,000-22,000 for CT. Don't remember separate biopsy charge. (Sorry but my files are all packed away for a flight tomorrow.)

I had a targetted prostate biopsy procedure carried out at BNH last October. It included an overnight stay and a general anesthetic.

Quote was for 70,000 to 80,000 THB. When I asked for a receipt for my insurance, the bill went up to 140,000 THB.

The MRI scan is a good idea but it is another 30,000 to 40,000 THB

I had one done in BKK Pattaya hospital

You do not need to stay in hospital over night even with an anesthetic - and yes I was knocked out.

The best Urologist by far in this area is Dr Nitti https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=207&c=1&depid=28

Note : you should have an MRI Prostrate scan first before any biopsy

Thx for this info, but how much did the biopsy cost?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

^^^ I had a CT Scan before a biopsy at Pattaya International Hospital, Dr Jessada. Seems to me you need to locate any suspicious objects before going in with the sampler. Don't remember the cost but I was not knocked out. Seem to remember about 17,000-22,000 for CT. Don't remember separate biopsy charge. (Sorry but my files are all packed away for a flight tomorrow.)
Thx for this info. I had a MP-MRI done at Siriraj 2.5 years ago when my psa spiked but the result was negative.

I had a targetted prostate biopsy procedure carried out at BNH last October. It included an overnight stay and a general anesthetic.

Quote was for 70,000 to 80,000 THB. When I asked for a receipt for my insurance, the bill went up to 140,000 THB.

The MRI scan is a good idea but it is another 30,000 to 40,000 THB

Thx. Now I know why there is a range of charges.

The choice of urologist is extremely important as is the method of biopsy i.e. ultrasoung guided vs mri fusion guided.  It is quite possible to get a false negative on biopsy if the right location is not sampled.  Do not just look at hospitals and costs. You may be comparing apples and oranges

I suggest you contact Siriraj and see what an MRI guided biopsy there would cost. Prof Srinaulad or Prof. Woranisarakul.

Sounds very high to me. I had one 4 years ago at C.M. Ram and it was around 28K. I will be having another soon. Estimate: 25-35K. You do not need to stay in the hospital. It is an OP procedure. Arrive in the morning, leave in the afternoon.
That sounds like amount for usual ultrasound guided prostate biopsy under local anesthetic. OP is asking specifically for cost done under general anesthesia which will cost more.

If MRI fusion guided, more for that as well.

In addition costs are higher in Bkk than in CM

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When I had my last one done in pattaya bangkok hospital,  I don't know what they used But I counted down from 100 and got to 94 and that's all I remember until I woke up.  They gave me a video and a set of photos. Totally happy with everything. 

16 hours ago, elektrified said:

Sounds very high to me. I had one 4 years ago at C.M. Ram and it was around 28K. I will be having another soon. Estimate: 25-35K. You do not need to stay in the hospital. It is an OP procedure. Arrive in the morning, leave in the afternoon.

But if your medical insurance only covers you for IN patient care............stay in overnight.

12 minutes ago, how241 said:

When I had my last one done in pattaya bangkok hospital,  I don't know what they used But I counted down from 100 and got to 94 and that's all I remember until I woke up.  They gave me a video and a set of photos. Totally happy with everything. 

What did you have?

When did you have it?

What did it cost?

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What did you have?

When did you have it?

What did it cost?

Sorry,  maybe I am on the wrong thread.   I had a colonoscopy,  done about 4 years ago. I think it was about 15K  but I am not 100% sure about the price without digging up some old papers.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, how241 said:

Sorry,  maybe I am on the wrong thread.   I had a colonoscopy,  done about 4 years ago. I think it was about 15K  but I am not 100% sure about the price without digging up some old papers.  Sorry.

Easy to get confused as many different things being talked about at same time here - that explains the video - this is about prostate biopsy using external needles into it to obtain samples, and suspect we all hope the needle is not big enough to house a camera.  

On 10/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, Card said:

Thx for this info. I had a MP-MRI done at Siriraj 2.5 years ago when my psa spiked but the result was negative.

Since you are talking about prostate, I have a question if you don't mind.

I imagine that you went through previous stages before resorting to this surgical operation.

As far as I am concerned, I just came to realize that I had some kind of trouble with my prostate, because I have all the associated symptoms (difficulties to urinate and to empty the bladder, and so on).

Thus I know that I most probably have what is called prostate hypertrophy.

From then on, what should I do first, if anything?

23 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I imagine that you went through previous stages before resorting to this surgical operation.

As far as I am concerned, I just came to realize that I had some kind of trouble with my prostate, because I have all the associated symptoms (difficulties to urinate and to empty the bladder, and so on).

See a urologist.

If you want a suggested one, indicate where in Thailand you live.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That sounds like amount for usual ultrasound guided prostate biopsy under local anesthetic. OP is asking specifically for cost done under general anesthesia which will cost more.

Hi Sheryl, I had TRUS guided prostate biopsy with general anesthesia (Propofol) administered by Anesthesiologist.

• 2 weeks later...
On Mon Oct 15 2018 at 5:35 PM, Brunolem said:

See a urologist and he will start you off with a PSA test and DRE.

On Mon Oct 15 2018 at 10:08 AM, Sheryl said:

Sheryl, you make it sound so easy! The problem is how can you judge a biopsy surgeon? Of course, you read ' best doc in Thailand' and so on but hardly any reason is given, or it might be based on bedside manner, or a one-off successful outcome, or where they were trained, language competency etc, but how can anyone say this doc is the best bet for a prostate biopsy? It's often the luck of the draw with doctors anywhere, so maybe cost (charged partly by the hospital) is some kind of criterion in that it is better to get a cheap botched job than an expensive one.

Perhaps this would be a good topic for another thread.

There is no such thing as a "biopsy surgeon", this is done by a urologist.

You should never take pot luck on a doctor.  This topic has been covered extensively many, many times in this forum and a great deal of what is done here is providing specific doctor recommendations based on qualifications and first hand reports.

The things I look at are: training in a Western country (long-term training i.e. residency or fellowship not short workshop etc) and within that, which places they trained as some institutions are especially renown/hard to get into; US board certification or other foreign equivalent; academic appointment (and within that, at what medical school in Thailand since some are definitely better than others),  publications, participation in professional societies (shows above average levels of interest/motivation) and feedback from patients.  Also specific clinical interests/areas of focus relative to a specific person's problem, since medical care here tends to be highly specialize.

There is no such thing as a "biopsy surgeon", this is done by a urologist.

You should never take pot luck on a doctor.  This topic has been covered extensively many, many times in this forum and a great deal of what is done here is providing specific doctor recommendations based on qualifications and first hand reports.

The things I look at are: training in a Western country (long-term training i.e. residency or fellowship not short workshop etc) and within that, which places they trained as some institutions are especially renown/hard to get into; US board certification or other foreign equivalent; academic appointment (and within that, at what medical school in Thailand since some are definitely better than others),  publications, participation in professional societies (shows above average levels of interest/motivation) and feedback from patients.  Also specific clinical interests/areas of focus relative to a specific person's problem, since medical care here tends to be highly specialize.
Yes, I agree, Sheryl, and have used all of those criteria to select my urologist - I only used the term 'biopsy surgeon' for shorthand. My original request for costs was a starting point. After comparing costs, I would then compare doctors within that price range, or not, depending on what I found out.

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

a great deal of what is done here is providing specific doctor recommendations based on qualifications and first hand reports.

Yes, first hand reports are important, specically from those who used urologists that actually found  samples that indicates cancer. Any links to them?

What is a PSA test and a DRE...if you don't mind my asking?

Oh dear. You really need to do internet research. PSA involves sticking a needle in your arm, DRE a docs finger up your back side. Don't want to sound trivial but the internet will tell you everything you need to know.

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

What is a PSA test and a DRE...if you don't mind my asking?

PSA = prostate specific antigen, it is a blood test

DRE = digital rectal examination. Doctor palpates the size and contour of your prostate exam through the rectum.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

PSA = prostate specific antigen, it is a blood test

DRE = digital rectal examination. Doctor palpates the size and contour of your prostate exam through the rectum.

Yes I checked that...seems a bit extreme for a first visit to the doctor...

A bit like checking for lung cancer because one has been coughing for a few days.

I imagine there are preliminary, more benign examinations, to confirm this is just some ordinary prostate hypertrophia...

Yes I checked that...seems a bit extreme for a first visit to the doctor...

A bit like checking for lung cancer because one has been coughing for a few days.

I imagine there are preliminary, more benign examinations, to confirm this is just some ordinary prostate hypertrophia...
These two tests are benign! You won't get much more benign than those.

Archived