Thai court grants bail to former PM Thaksin's son in money laundering case

snoop1130

Thai court grants bail to former PM Thaksin's son in money laundering case

Panthongtae-Shinawatra.png

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai court on Wednesday granted bail of 1 million baht ($30,000) to the son of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra after he was indicted of money laundering, a case his supporters condemned as politically motivated.

Supporters of the Shinawatras, backed by poor, rural voters, accuse the military government, which took power after a 2014 coup, of seeking to hobble the family and its allies ahead of a general election set for next year. The government denies that.

Panthongtae Shinawatra, 38, also known by his nickname "Oak", went to the attorney general's office to face the indictment, accompanied by both his sisters and many senior members of the Thaksin-backed Puea Thai Party.

"The court has set Nov. 5 as the date for my client to accept or deny the charge," his lawyer, Chumsai Sriyaphai, told Reuters. "Oak has always rejected any wrongdoing in this case."

Panthongtae declined to speak to reporters.

After granting bail, the court ordered Panthongtae not to leave the country without permission.

In a statement earlier, the attorney general said, "Panthongtae Shinawatra will be prosecuted...on charges of money laundering and conspiring to launder money of the amount of 10 million baht."

Last year, authorities formally charged him with having received a cheque for 10 million baht ($304,000) in 2004, in relation to a prior corruption case over fraudulent loans of 9.9 billion baht made by state-owned Krungthai Bank when his father was prime minister.

If found guilty, Panthongtae could face a jail term of up to 10 years. The 15-year statute of limitations on the crime was set to expire next year, had he not been taken to court.

"I believe that Oak did not know the money he received came from wrongdoing," party member Watana Muangsook told reporters.

Thaksin, whose populist movement's struggle with the Thai establishment has dominated politics for more than a decade, lives in exile after fleeing Thailand to escape a jail sentence for corruption following his overthrow in a 2006 coup.

His sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, overthrown as prime minister in 2014, fled Thailand in August last year to avoid conviction in a criminal negligence case she said was politically motivated.

Later, she was sentenced in absentia to five years in jail.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-10

Thaksin’s son indicted in the KTB loan scandal

By THE NATION 

a177c9f897a4a53f94d836be903312a7-sld.jpe

THE SON of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was indicted yesterday for collusion in money laundering in connection with the Krungthai Bank loan scandal, in a case he claimed was politically motivated.

Panthongtae Shinawatra was brought to the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases by public prosecutors.

He was indicted for obtaining a cheque for Bt10 million that was part of Bt10 billion in loans that the property group, Krisada Mahanakorn, had got dishonestly from the state-run bank at a time when his father was serving as prime minister.

The court released Panthongtae on a bail of Bt1 million yesterday on condition that he would not leave the country without court permission.

Also, the court scheduled a hearing on November 5 for the defendant to declare formally whether he admitted to or denied the charge against him.

Panthongtae, 38, who is Thaksin’s eldest child, had earlier suggested in his Facebook post that the money-laundering case against him seemed to be politically motivated.

“Pin him down with some criminal case so that he would not be a nuisance in the run-up to the election. That’s my last roar before I meet public prosecutors to hear their decision on indictment,” Panthongtae posted on Tuesday.

“Just in your dreams, Uncle Moody,” he added, seemingly referring to someone in the ruling junta.

Panthongtae also said that he felt he did not get fair treatment from authorities involved in the case, namely the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), the Anti-Money Laundering Office and public prosecutors. 

He added that like him, more than 100 other people had also obtained cheques from the same source but they were spared legal action.

Panthongtae appeared at the Office of the Attorney-General in the morning to meet with public prosecutors and later went to the court in the afternoon after being indicted.

He was accompanied by his sisters Pinthongta Kunakornwong and Paethongtarn Shinawatra, as well as their mother Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra. 

Also present to offer Panthongtae moral support were leading politicians from the Pheu Thai Party, including Phumtham Wechayachai, Chusak Sirinil, Noppadon Patama and Pichai Naripthaphan.

“I have no worries. I am still fine,” Panthongtae told reporters. His sisters added that he was “in good spirits”.

In her Instagram message, Paethongtarn said yesterday: “Thaksin’s children often get things worse than others. But you know what, because Thaksin’s flesh and blood runs in us, we will stay strong. Thank you for all the encouragement for [Panthongtae] and our family.” 

Co-defendants in the case – Kanchanapa Honghern, the former secretary of Panthongtae’s mother, and her husband Wanchai – who had received cheques for Bt26 million in connection with the loan scandal, did not show up yesterday. Public prosecutors summoned them to hear their indictment order on October 18.

Tarum Chalichandra, a spokesman for the Office of Attorney-General, told a press conference yesterday that public prosecutors had received an investigation report from the DSI regarding 159 people accused of colluding in money laundering, in connection with the loan scandal.

Public prosecutors are studying the investigation report and will inform the public later when they had a decision whether to indict the accused, Prayut Phetkhun, another spokesman for the agency, said at the press conference.

Between 2003 and 2004, Krungthai Bank executives dishonestly approved loans of Bt10.4 billion to Krisada Mahanakorn and its affiliates despite the company’s poor credit rating. The three affiliates involved were later declared bankrupt by a court.

In 2015, the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced then-senior executives of Krungthai Bank, Krisada Mahanakorn’s top executive Wichai Krisadatanon and other company executives to lengthy jail terms for their involvement in the loan scandal.

Thaksin was a co-defendant in the case. But he has lived in exile overseas since 2008 after fleeing the country shortly before the Supreme Court’s political-cases division sentenced him to two years in jail for abuse of power.

In September, public prosecutors sued Wichai and five others for money laundering.

On Tuesday, Panthongtae said in his Facebook post that he had learned that people in the government were happy after he flew to Hong Kong over the weekend to meet his father. “They said it would be a relief for them in the next election as all in this family would just flee the country,” he said.

In addition to Panthongtae, many Pheu Thai politicians also flew to Hong Kong to meet with Thaksin, who is referred to as “Big Boss” by many party figures. 

Regarding Thaksin’s meeting with Pheu Thai politicians, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday said it was the Election Commission’s duty to look into the matter and determine whether that was an act against the relevant law.

“I cannot say who is right or wrong here. It’s more about whether or not it’s appropriate,” General Prayut said. “They have the right to do it but the EC will decide whether it’s legal.”

The Political Party Act prohibits a party from allowing an outsider to influence its internal affairs. And the violating party risks being disbanded if found guilty.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30356223

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-11

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

In her Instagram message, Paethongtarn said yesterday: “Thaksin’s children often get things worse than others.

Spare me the crocodile tears. Ultra-privileged and a bunch of wimpy, wet noodles. Time they realized they are adults, and should stand up for themselves instead of crying to daddy. Not a single one of them has shown any leadership qualities nor any moral integrity - they're just parasites. I hate this junta, but I'm glad it's hounding Thaksin.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“They said it would be a relief for them in the next election as all in this family would just flee the country,” he said.

JUST flee the country, like it is going to the corner store; o well, between the junta and the shins it is a choice of bad or bad

Be afraid, be very afraid!!!

There is a Shinawatra under your bed!!! A Shinawatra will attack your daughters!!! A Shinawatra will rob and beat your grandparents!!! A Shinawatra will poison your fields!!! a Shinawatra will burn your children's school!!! A Shinawatra will put a curse on you!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid!!!

Be very very very afraid!!!

They are EVERYWHERE!!! All the Time!!! ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT!!! EVERYWHERE!!!

(sarcasm alert)

After granting bail, the court ordered Pathongate not to leave the country without permission.:cheesy:????

Priceless absolutely priceless.

Later Pathongate was overheard singing........Im leaving on a jet plane dont know when i will be back again.

Hahaha ... laundering 10 Million Baht ??

Because you use an official check with your name on it that can be traced to launder money yes?

Are they joking ?

They just can’t stop making fools out of themselves can’t they?

There are people in this country who have watches on their wrist for that amount and can’t explain where they came from!

Because nobody believes the idiotic dead friend story.

A thief can not point the finger at another thief accusing him of stealing!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Suthep must be happy as a pig in muck. His mission is complete. The golden whistle is victorious.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don’t think somebody like him can ever be happy - a dirty, rotten, cheating, thieving scoundrel can never ever be happy - whatever else they pretend - it’s their destiny to be miserable!

It’s good to know that Karma makes sure of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"I believe that Oak did not know the money he received came from wrongdoing," party member Watana Muangsook told reporters.

Just take 10 Million,and never ask where it came from,

if you believe that ........if someone offered me 10 Million

the first question would be why?,then followed, where from,

and what do you want in return.

regards worgeordie

8 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Hahaha ... laundering 10 Million Baht ??

Because you use an official check with your name on it that can be traced to launder money yes?

Are they joking ?

They just can’t stop making fools out of themselves can’t they?

There are people in this country who have watches on their wrist for that amount and can’t explain where they came from!

Because nobody believes the idiotic dead friend story.

A thief can not point the finger at another thief accusing him of stealing!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Have you read the facts of the case?

He got 10 million tip from an illegal loan his Dad ordered and then hoped he could give it back and all would be ok.

Nothing to do with politics per se. Just another hiso elite caught with his fingers in the cookie jar.

7 hours ago, Ulic said:

It may be politically motivated because most HISO would not even be charged but that does not mean he is innocent. 

Indeed. The decisions on who to prosecute and who not are indeed seemingly selective.

But the fact he turns up with a mob of politicians from the family owned and controlled political party speaks volumes. Their idea of innocence is that they can thieve all they want with impunity.

Archived