Tourist Visa - Vientiene

Well I have to do a 60 day visa run this week and was wondering what the deal with Vientiene is now? Are they issuing tourist visas there and if so how long does it normally take? I've read about the Savannaket border runs but I'd rather fly or take the train so Vientiene sounds a little better to me. Anyone out there have any recent info on getting a tourist visa there?

After having read all the postings about the Savannakhet runs, I feel that you would be better off going to Vientiane to get your visa. I would, but that is problably I am in Udon Thani which is closer to Vientiane. The embassy in Vientiane in my opinion is better organised, nothing like the 2 X 3 meters office in Savannakhet.

Same procedure. Submit today before 12.00 noon. Get your tourist visa the next day after 13.00.

If you prefer to extend your present 60 day visa by another 30 days, you can proceed to any immigration office nearest to you. The fee is bht 1900. I did my in Udon thani, AEK Udon Hospital. Waiting time ........ 1/2 hour.

Thanks for the advice Seagull, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. One question though; how long does it take to get from Nong Khai to Vientiene? I was thinking of taking the overnight train which gets in to Nong Khai at either 6 or 8:45 am. Should both of those give me enough time to get to the embassy or should I plan on an overnight stay before going to the embassy?

Thanks again for all the help.

If the train is on time, you have all papers ready and Laos visa you'll probably make it. I wouldnt recomend the train though, not really comfortable and the money you save is not worth it. But if youve done the ride before and know what to expect and are ok with that.

Thanks for the advice Seagull, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. One question though; how long does it take to get from Nong Khai to Vientiene? I was thinking of taking the overnight train which gets in to Nong Khai at either 6 or 8:45 am. Should both of those give me enough time to get to the embassy or should I plan on an overnight stay before going to the embassy?

Thanks again for all the help.

Travel time from Nongkhai Border Immigration to Vientiene by bus is approximately half an hour. You can purchase your bus tickets from the Nongkhai bus station. The bus will wait for you to complete your immigration clearance both on the Thai and Laos side, before heading for Vientiene. From the bus station in Vientienne, take a tuk tuk to the embassy. It should take you another 15 minutes.

As long as you can clear Lao Immigration latest by 10.00 am, you should be okay to meet that day's submission for visa. It really depends on the human traffic at both immigrations.

Can't I get a visa at the border? I thought you could get 15 day visas on arrival in Laos for about 1500 baht (for US citizens). Is this not the case? Do I need to get a visa from the Lao embassy in Bangkok?

You can get a visa at the border for 1500 or 30 dollars - dollar being the best option at the present exchange rates. You do then however risk missing the morning deadline for the visa application. Bu that's only factor if time is not an issue and you are staying a few days in Vientiane. Can take up to an hour just to obtain visa on arrival if busy.