Welsh rant, paint, bricks, wood glue, teak oil, brickie trowel

oldwelshman

What is it with Thailand that they are so far behind with basic diy items?

As for meggahome has to be the most useless bunch of people ever employed with zero knowledge and they try to convince you to buy whet they try to sell lol

1) Where can I buy a standard face brick , not the miniature ones they sell here which take an infinite amount of mortar to build and back breaking job?

2)  Where can I buy some PVA wood glue, like evostick or any other one. The don't even know what OVA is even when shown on internet.?

3) Wood paint!! Arghhh went to 8 different stores none even ever heard of water based gloss paint !! Why do they have 30 different tyoes of thinners and all paint is enamel metallic paint they insist is ok for wood. I suggested they try to come and paint my wood with it if its ok. I did find 1 tin of dulux in meggahome and the assistant showed me some nice colours in brochure so I selected red, only to be told they only do whit <deleted>. Then they procedded to show me many tyoes of woodstain and lacquer!! No Pain tplease, red. Wood primer/undercoat?  forget it, again told enamel undercoat is fine, whoch goes on as easy as if I was using syrup.

4) Next I enquired about a brickies trowel only to be shown a pointing trowel, then even tried to sell me a tillers float!! to lay bricks?

5) This is my favourite, I have  a few tables made from badoo and want to sand them down as they are stunning in natural colour so thought, being in Thailand, lets get some teak oil. They never even heard of it !! again shown the usual lacquer but no such thing as Danish oil, linseed oil or teak oil. next trip to UK I am bringing a trowel with me, jointing tool and a few bottles of teak from B&Q!!

Many things you have to get the right local terminology. Likewise with things on Lazada try different variations in your searches or you wont find it easily.

Wood glue is widely available in Thaiwatsadu or Homepro or GlobalHouse.

It may help to ask what you are looking for in the "local area forum" as someone there may know exactly where you can get what you need (or similar).

Some of the things you are looking for are available at Homepro.

These are from the Homepro online shop (but available at the stores too) ...

Teak oil, several brands https://www.homepro.co.th/search?q=teak+oil

Latex glues (PVA) https://www.homepro.co.th/search?q=glue&c=12813

Water based wood primer https://www.homepro.co.th/category/13214?lang=en

38 minutes ago, oldwelshman said:

Thanks for replies. My nearest homepro is in Korat about 90 mins away but I want to go cycling on the track there so could be good excuse ???? That teak oil is verrryyyyyy expensive compared to UK though home pro looks reasonable.

No B&Q Superstores or Screwfix here (unfortunately, IMO).

Good luck with your projects.

TeakOil from TOA and WoodTect is readily available at family owned Buriram Builders Merchants Stores. Staff who understand and speak German, Spanish, English as well as Thai languages. HomePro or Lazada is not the low cost seller of name brand goods or genuine name brand tools that expats might be inclined to buy looking at long term living in Isaan. Megahome is a branch of HomePro.   You might find a store where top management of major brands visit to bring experienced teachers to train local store staff. 

Buriram Thailand TOA House Paint Sales Manager.jpg

Buriram Isaan TOA TEAK oil near Solar Panels.jpg

Buriram Village House Teak Wood Ceiling WoodTect Stain.jpg

Buriram Teak Wood Deck Patio Stain.jpg