Rare fishing cat dies in Sattahip

Rimmer

Rare fishing cat dies in Sattahip

image.png

SATTAHIP:--A rare fishing cat died in Sattahip after being hit by a car.

Saichon Wongprasert, 56, found the largest of the Prionailurus family cats lying on Sukhumvit Road in front of Rungsrisuntorn Temple Oct. 4. He provided care for about 30 minutes before it died.

The fishing cat which is listed as “vulnerable” on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species, is found sporadically around South and Southeast Asia, most predominantly in Nepal and India. It lives around wetlands, lakes and rivers.

In Thailand, the web-footed fishing cats are extremely rare with only six photos total taken in the Kaeng Krachan and Khao Sam Roi Yot national parks and Thale Noi Non-Hunting Area as of 2014.

Saichon, who changes oil at a PTT Gas Station inside Singsamut School, said he felt badly he couldn’t save the animal given its vulnerable status.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-10-12

Interesting that previous sightings were in national parks on the other side of the Gulf. The fact that this animal was in Sattahip might mean that their range is expanding (or recovering), and that they have learned to stay out of sight around humans. I hope so anyway.

My mate from a village 10 miles away showed me a picture of his stepson who had shot one of these.i had a harmless small snake in the garden last week and my builder killed it.i had another mate tell me he paid 1,000b to free a pair of eaglets or falcons that they were keeping in a cage and trying to feed rice.thais have the sick mentality to kill anything other than soi dogs and elephants.if you are an endangered animal in Thailand your days are numbered im afraid to say.

6 hours ago, happy chappie said:

My mate from a village 10 miles away showed me a picture of his stepson who had shot one of these.i had a harmless small snake in the garden last week and my builder killed it.i had another mate tell me he paid 1,000b to free a pair of eaglets or falcons that they were keeping in a cage and trying to feed rice.thais have the sick mentality to kill anything other than soi dogs and elephants.if you are an endangered animal in Thailand your days are numbered im afraid to say.

Report the stepson...:post-4641-1156693976:

10 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Report the stepson...:post-4641-1156693976:

The thing is you can't really blame the boy through being uneducated and virtually living in the jungle and I kid you not.my pals mrs is the missing link.also me being a farang with a lot to lose don't help as it would probably backfire and some family making hell for me.as a farang it best to not be seen or heard around these parts.in my country no problem and report it.here it's totally different I'm sorry to say.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:44 AM, LawrenceN said:

Interesting that previous sightings were in national parks on the other side of the Gulf. The fact that this animal was in Sattahip might mean that their range is expanding (or recovering), and that they have learned to stay out of sight around humans. I hope so anyway.

Could have been held captive at someone's place around there...

Archived