Its Hard To Find A Screw In Thailand !

ollyrosee

walk into any hardware shop and they have boxes and boxes of nails of every description but try finding a box of assorted screws !its really bad upcountry where its virtually impossible to find a screw . I wanted some to rebuild my window frames but in the end had to use nails !for cristes sake is everything held together with rusty nails ? is there some reason Thais are unable to make screws ? the machines can pump them out 24/7 ! elsewhere .

walk into any hardware shop and they have boxes and boxes of nails of every description but try finding a box of assorted screws !its really bad upcountry where its virtually impossible to find a screw . I wanted some to rebuild my window frames but in the end had to use nails !for cristes sake is everything held together with rusty nails ? is there some reason Thais are unable to make screws ? the machines can pump them out 24/7 ! elsewhere .

What are ou talking about??There are a lot of businesses to buy your tools.

I think you do not know where to look for them,for sure not in shopping malls.

Many many thais work as constructors,would it not be strange if they did not use screw's????

read a story in one of the national newspapers today...

a guy in bangkok, totally off his head on yaa baa, walked into a laundry shop around midday yesterday and raped both of the girls who where working there. He was disturbed by an off duty policeman who happened to be passing by, then made a clean getaway...

The headline read :

Nut Screws Washers & Bolts

i am not talking about shopping malls ,specifically HARDWARE SHOPS THAT HAVE TOOLS HOES WIRE HAMMERS LOCKS PLASTIC TUBES GLUE ETC . LOTS OF NAILS BUT NO SCREWS !

please not go angry,but in which area are you staying anyway?

If rural area I can understand ,if in a city you should look harder.

In Chiangmai ,here in the North is much to find.

I wanted to place darker / thicker shades over the bed room windows in my Chiang Mai apartment ..

also, had a heck of a time finding screws ..

am blank at this instant where I finally located .. maybe was the old Auchan store .. bet Lotus has.

as a home owner in the US, we use screws & a battery screw driver 99.9% of the time for house hold attaching .. even minor carpentry

I keep mine on the battery charger 24/7 .. always charged & ready to attach.

i am not talking about shopping malls ,specifically HARDWARE SHOPS THAT HAVE TOOLS HOES WIRE HAMMERS LOCKS PLASTIC TUBES GLUE ETC . LOTS OF NAILS BUT NO SCREWS !

You are absolutely correct. I have searched Lotus, Carrefour, even Home Pro and small "hardware stores" along Rama IV here in Bangkok and it is almost impossible to find a selection of assorted screws. Plenty of nails though. I will ask the next friend who visits LOS to bring a few packs of them, available in US in any supermarket or drug store.

Never had a problem finding a screw in Thailand.

had my stopwatch counting & a book running with the local village '35 degree' drinkers as to how long it would be before some 'brain' would post this answer...

If you weren't hanging out with boozers you could have been first! Now your day is ruined. :o

had my stopwatch counting & a book running with the local village '35 degree' drinkers as to how long it would be before some 'brain' would post this answer...

You drink the hard stuff then :D , but you've got to admit, it was too easy to leave alone..... :o

If you weren't hanging out with boozers you could have been first! Now your day is ruined. :D

:o:D:D

If you weren't hanging out with boozers you could have been first! Now your day is ruined. :o

au contrere mon ami.. within 30 minutes then yes the 'boozers' could've claimed victory. Alas, you came in at 32 with the one & only un-original answer to this post.

And 2 minutes past the magical 30 has netted me a most tidy sum of money.. so thank you for your input tonight & long may you be mai chalaat..

I guess it's all the same "you nail it or screw it" as Bill Clinton would say..............

But being serious, I had problems too finding quality assorted screws in Phuket - yes they had plenty of wood screws all length and diameters however there was no selection for head type or drive type or purpose....

I wanted to place a awning sheet on an structure with proper self-drilling sheet metal screws (SMS) with hex head and at the end I had give up my search and use wood screws with washers............. they same way I could not find proper patio screws, drywall screws, masonry screws etc...would be grateful if someone could recommend a good store in BKK or Phuket.

If you weren't hanging out with boozers you could have been first! Now your day is ruined. :D

au contrere mon ami.. within 30 minutes then yes the 'boozers' could've claimed victory. Alas, you came in at 32 with the one & only un-original answer to this post.

And 2 minutes past the magical 30 has netted me a most tidy sum of money.. so thank you for your input tonight & long may you be mai chalaat..

ne l'ecrire pas si vous n'etes pas capable, savourez vos gains mon chou.

veuillez agreer mes sentiments distingues. :o

I've always used Robertson type screws but haven't seen one here in 4 years.

You're not likely to find Robertson drive screws outside North America (I'd never seen them until someone asked on TV). Pozidrive or Supadrive (crosspoint) are equally as good IF you get the correct driver for the screw head, slotted are, and always were, a disaster.

Meanwhile, I agree with the OP, lots of screws available in all sizes, but NO assorted boxes :o

EDIT some interesting stuff on screw heads here http://www.sizes.com/tools/screw_drive.htm including the fact that the Philips head is actually designed to cam-out to avoid over tightening in aluminium aircraft installations.

Edited by Crossy

HomePro, certainly in Rangsit and Rama 3 sells boxes of assorted screws. They are in 4 sizes and in a clear plastic box with a white lid. Certainly some of the English speaking assistants may be able to help you further if you ask them for a short or long screw.