Junk/spam mail in inbox.

Andrew Dwyer

I use gmail and very rarely ( one every three months or so) do I get any junk or spam in my inbox.
My junk folder gets it all and on occasion I have a quick scan what’s in there and then delete all.

BUT: recently something has changed and I get junk mail in my inbox ( plus some in my junk folder).

I’m not sure if there was a gmail update ? but I certainly have updated my iPhone ( iOS 12.0.1 ).

I am dealing with each email individually now and unsubscribing but it’s a PITA and annoying as I get a notification of an email and it’s some garbage.

The junk is usually something that Is no way related to me, US tax , buying furniture in UK, etc etc

What could have changed and how do I get back to having junk go straight into junk folder ??

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I am dealing with each email individually now and unsubscribing

Are you replying to the junk mail to unsubscribe from them?

If yes, don't do that! That only confirms that you received the mail and you read it.

Just delete it, that's it.

It's impossible to not get junk and it's impossible to unsubscribe from junk. It's only possible to make it as little annoying as possible by deleting it all. Problem "solved" within seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you replying to the junk mail to unsubscribe from them?

If yes, don't do that! That only confirms that you received the mail and you read it.

Just delete it, that's it.

It's impossible to not get junk and it's impossible to unsubscribe from junk. It's only possible to make it as little annoying as possible by deleting it all. Problem "solved" within seconds.

Yes, I understand I’m gonna get junk mail, it’s just before it always goes straight into my junk folder, now the annoying thing is it is split between my junk and inbox folders.

Just want to get it back how it was before.

Yes, your probably right, unsubscribing is not a good idea as have to open it to do that, will just delete from now on .

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, I understand I’m gonna get junk mail, it’s just before it always goes straight into my junk folder, now the annoying thing is it is split between my junk and inbox folders.

Just want to get it back how it was before.

Yes, your probably right, unsubscribing is not a good idea as have to open it to do that, will just delete from now on .

Some junk is obvious junk and with other mails it's not so sure.

Any anti-spam system will try to sort this as good as possible. But that is obviously sometimes difficult.

On some mail systems it is possible to select different level of how aggressive the spam filter should be.

You can set it so that basically all spam is filtered out, but then it's also likely that maybe one or two good mails end up in your spam folder.

It will never be perfect...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some junk is obvious junk and with other mails it's not so sure.

Any anti-spam system will try to sort this as good as possible. But that is obviously sometimes difficult.

On some mail systems it is possible to select different level of how aggressive the spam filter should be.

You can set it so that basically all spam is filtered out, but then it's also likely that maybe one or two good mails end up in your spam folder.

It will never be perfect...

I’ll have a look at my mail settings ( gmail ) and see if I can set it how it was before ( if it’s changed ).

I suspect there has been an update to Gmail and setting has changed , but don’t remember .

gmail does have a filter which can be set to various levels. As another poster has said, when it is set high, you may miss emails which you wanted in the inbox occasionally. No problem - just check the spam box if you are expecting something that doesn't arrive.

• Like 1

gmail does have a filter which can be set to various levels. As another poster has said, when it is set high, you may miss emails which you wanted in the inbox occasionally. No problem - just check the spam box if you are expecting something that doesn't arrive.

Struggling to find how to adjust it, appears to be automatic and you can add a filter ( i.e. add an email address ), other than that can’t find any adjustment.

I dont want to go off subject but its close-ish to a concern I have. Delete if Im out of order. Sometimes I want to download something .. an example yesterday was a chart showing average rainfall per month in Thailand.

I was using Firefox browser .. a common and popular browser. .. A dialogue box came up and said to download it I had to agree for Firefox to have access to my photographs and files,  <deleted> !!!

I declined to agree and my download would not happen because I not agree.

I have noticed this requirement before.  I think occasionally I have agreed to such requests to get whatever I was trying to download. A couple of times I have got collages of my own pics on my tablet as notifications .. not emails just notifications I think .. previews. Spooky .. someone or thing is processing my provate photos.

I have family, holiday and various girlfriend pix (portraits only honest ) that are private thank you. Why do they ever need access. 

I am guessing it is for targetted adverts. No idea really.

Deleted Firefox .. Not noticed it before loading that browser.

Only loaded it because installed browser on my Android tablet not compatible apparently with some sites .. like when I tried to order a sports event tickets. It your browser they said on phone .. ... use Forefox.

As I say .. what is justication to ask access to photographs and files. Scary stuff.

Any experts able to convince me nothing to worry about ?

18 hours ago, PAWNEESE said:

As I say .. what is justication to ask access to photographs and files. Scary stuff.

Any experts able to convince me nothing to worry about ?

Depends on your level of paranoia :thumbsup:

If you go into Settings and then Apps and click on individual Apps and scroll down and have a look at the permissions they have you will probably be horrified. Why does my camera need access to my phone calls for example...... 

Other than the camera I stripped out and replaced most of the original Apps and replaced where I could with ones that do not request such permissions. You can also add Apps (normally need to root phone) to restrict what Apps can communicate back.