British bikes

findlay13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AllanB said:

Yes, I should have qualified that. "If your skills are sufficient", I must have done hundreds.

A pillar drill is best, sure, but many times it cannot be employed.....and that's assuming you have one. I know you do, but you are in a minority on this forum.

What I would say to others, is to get an observer.

...and do the thread tapping by hand, again using an observer.

C'mon dude........................

I bow to your "sufficient skills"....

You have done hundreds, i have done thousands, but i doubt i have done more than two hands full of hand held thread repairs.

Left a bit, right a bit with an "observer" is the absolute last chance saloon when no other option is available.

Precise it is not.

But i'm not here to have a willy waving contest.

A Chinese pillar drill is the same money as a couple of power tools.

I know a guy in my home town who makes a living from ride/drive/deliver to your premises thread repairs. You call him, when you need a thread repair. Guy earns decent money too.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, thaiguzzi said:

You have done hundreds, i have done thousands, but i doubt i have done more than two hands full of hand held thread repairs.

Left a bit, right a bit with an "observer" is the absolute last chance saloon when no other option is available.

Precise it is not.

I know a guy in my home town who makes a living from ride/drive/deliver to your premises thread repairs. You call him, when you need a thread repair. Guy earns decent money too.

Y.......a.......w.......n........

On 10/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Precise it is not.

Not wanting to sound pompous, Mr Guzzi, but some of us do have "sufficient skills" to accurately drill and tap a perpendicular hole. For my part, I served a 5 year mechanical engineering apprenticeship where they teach you basic hand tool skills. Before that I took metalwork at secondary school age 11-16 where they had a full mechanical workshop and I also learnt the basics. Unfortunately these facilities are gone from most schools now.

I taught my 2 sons and step son some of these skills by observing and correcting.them, so this is not rocket science.

Most of my experience has been in light, medium and even heavy engineering, where taking an engine out, for example, to install a helicoil is not a viable option. Others have been on irregular shaped castings which wouldn't fit in a pedestal drill or miller-driller, both of which I had at the time.

I don't think it reasonable to go out a buy a pedestal drill to install one helicoil, so suggested a hand held drill and tap by hand. Likewise taking the engine out to do so. I certainly wouldn't suggest going anywhere near any of the workshops I have seen in Thailand to use their facilities, for fear of my life.

So once again "horses for courses", if you can use a machine tool, do so, if not do it carefully by hand. The old threaded hole is a good guide and you have plenty of time.

19 hours ago, AllanB said:

Not wanting to sound pompous, Mr Guzzi, but some of us do have "sufficient skills" to accurately drill and tap a perpendicular hole. For my part, I served a 5 year mechanical engineering apprenticeship where they teach you basic hand tool skills. Before that I took metalwork at secondary school age 11-16 where they had a full mechanical workshop and I also learnt the basics. Unfortunately these facilities are gone from most schools now.

I taught my 2 sons and step son some of these skills by observing and correcting.them, so this is not rocket science.

Most of my experience has been in light, medium and even heavy engineering, where taking an engine out, for example, to install a helicoil is not a viable option. Others have been on irregular shaped castings which wouldn't fit in a pedestal drill or miller-driller, both of which I had at the time.

I don't think it reasonable to go out a buy a pedestal drill to install one helicoil, so suggested a hand held drill and tap by hand. Likewise taking the engine out to do so. I certainly wouldn't suggest going anywhere near any of the workshops I have seen in Thailand to use their facilities, for fear of my life.

So once again "horses for courses", if you can use a machine tool, do so, if not do it carefully by hand. The old threaded hole is a good guide and you have plenty of time.

You just won't leave the willy waving contest will you.

No, you don't sound pompous, because i realize, just like the majority of people who read any of your posts, that you are a mechanical numpty.

You remind me of that idiot Brit on You Tube with a shIt load of subscribers - Dellboy's Garage? Basically constantly giving out bad advice, real bad advice, and giving really bad unsafe practices video lessons. Trouble is, newbies and kids (or adults) who don't know any better, believe all this crap as gospel and end up hurting themselves or breaking their (crap) tools. The guy is a sold his soul to freebies mechanical imbecile.

# It's not about having "sufficient skills" to drill new "perpendicular" holes for a tapped thread. It's about PRECISION and USING THE CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB. Which in this case is not a Black & Decker hand held power tool.

#Sorry, but most machine shops i've come across, remove a component for a thread repair.

# No matter the complexity of a components awkward shape, 19 times out of 20 it is still doable on a machine tool. Sounds like where you worked they were either lazy, incapable or like a quick fix (bodge) or all 3.

# This is in the m/c forum on a topic started about British Bikes, which unsurprisingly, and understandably, veered off onto thread repairs. Not heavy engineering. There is not a part on a m/c that should have a thread repaired by hand held B&D. Every component can & should be removed and repaired off the bike on a pillar drill or mill table. Anything else is lazy or bodged or both. "likewise taking the engine out to do so". Lazy. Inept.

# If someone wants helicoil kits in his home shed @ 20-30 quid a pop, then he should also buy a pillar drill.

2 brand name power tools (your grinder, your drill for instance) = the price of 1 cheapo Chinese pillar/bench drill.

# If you don't want to own a pillar drill, don't buy helicoil kits as you are not doing the job properly and leave it to a local machine/repair shop.

# Nearly every market town and city has a decent machine/repair shop, some are outstanding. My experience obviously differs to yours and that's not surprising........

Archived