Jump to content

Best for Mobile Internet.


possum1931

Recommended Posts

Who is the best for mobile internet, AIS, DTAC or True, and which package?

I only require it for backup, and to connect it with my laptop. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to compare it to but AIS is great. Very reasonable prices and probably the best coverage.  I use the 4Mb/s unlimited data plan which is adequate for most things.  They have daily, weekly, monthly, and 6 month plans. 

 

They also have limited data unlimited speed but I think the unlimited data, limited speed plans are a better deal for most things.  If your signal is not strong enough you will not get the higher speed anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried AIS, but use True and DTAC as a back up plan for internet. I find I always end up using DTAC as it seems to offer the highest unlimited speed of 10mbps. True gets close but is a pita trying to set up for speeds higher than 6mbps unlimited. I find only 10mbps works for me with live IPTV and other high bandwidth apps. 4mbps plans are cheap but only of use for web surfing and emails afaik.

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I haven't tried AIS, but use True and DTAC as a back up plan for internet. I find I always end up using DTAC as it seems to offer the highest unlimited speed of 10mbps. True gets close but is a pita trying to set up for speeds higher than 6mbps unlimited. I find only 10mbps works for me with live IPTV and other high bandwidth apps. 4mbps plans are cheap but only of use for web surfing and emails afaik.

That probably comes down to signal strength.   You probably have a DTAC tower closest to you.  I have gotten 60Mb/s up and down with AIS.  But only when the signal is strong enough.  That will be the case for all the providers.  It also depends how busy the tower you are using is and how much capacity it has.  I know with AIS I usually can only get up to about 20Mb/s in my area when I go outside. However, I can go to the mall, which I am assuming is a very busy cell site with higher capacity, and get much higher speeds.

 

Download the app called Network Cell Info Lite.  You will need a signal strength of better than around -90db to get the higher speeds.  I get -100db for AIS in my room and that is good enough for the 4Mb/s to 6Mb/s plans but not much more than that.  I notice that to get to the 60Mb/s speeds I need a signal strength of around -75db which is very hard to get indoors. At the mall I get really good signal strength, probably because they have repeaters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, lapd said:

That probably comes down to signal strength.   You probably have a DTAC tower closest to you.  I have gotten 60Mb/s up and down with AIS.  But only when the signal is strong enough.  That will be the case for all the providers.  It also depends how busy the tower you are using is and how much capacity it has.  I know with AIS I usually can only get up to about 20Mb/s in my area when I go outside. However, I can go to the mall, which I am assuming is a very busy cell site with higher capacity, and get much higher speeds.

 

Download the app called Network Cell Info Lite.  You will need a signal strength of better than around -90db to get the higher speeds.  I get -100db for AIS in my room and that is good enough for the 4Mb/s to 6Mb/s plans but not much more than that.  I notice that to get to the 60Mb/s speeds I need a signal strength of around -75db which is very hard to get indoors. At the mall I get really good signal strength, probably because they have repeaters.

I think AIS would be best, supposing I am in a hotel and wifi is faulty, can I link it up with my laptop?

I have looked at AIS website, and find it hard to understand, so many different things, instead of a simple list and cost of packages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I think AIS would be best, supposing I am in a hotel and wifi is faulty, can I link it up with my laptop?

I have looked at AIS website, and find it hard to understand, so many different things, instead of a simple list and cost of packages.

That is exactly what I do.  It has saved me several times as the WiFi at my location has had some outages recently.

 

Yes you can link it up.  On android it is called tether and hotspot.  So you can use it through the USB cable or as a hotspot through WiFi.  Only issue I had is that they block torrents.  So I had to go through a VPN to download torrents.

 

Yes their website is confusing.  For a foreigner, you will most likey want a traveller SIM and will only be using prepaid plans.  Once you have the sim and some credit added you can install the myAIS app and do it all through the app.  There are codes you can punch in but it's easier to use the app.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lapd said:

That is exactly what I do.  It has saved me several times as the WiFi at my location has had some outages recently.

 

Yes you can link it up.  On android it is called tether and hotspot.  So you can use it through the USB cable or as a hotspot through WiFi.  Only issue I had is that they block torrents.  So I had to go through a VPN to download torrents.

 

Yes their website is confusing.  For a foreigner, you will most likey want a traveller SIM and will only be using prepaid plans.  Once you have the sim and some credit added you can install the myAIS app and do it all through the app.  There are codes you can punch in but it's easier to use the app.

That's great, thanks a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AIS has the broadest coverage and largest infrastructure throughout Thailand followed by True then Dtac. If you already have mobile phone service, then just get a data plan added from your current provider or get a new phone plan that includes data. Once you have a data plan, you will also have access to your providers free wi-fi hotspots. Before I had 3BB at home, I went to Robinson's Mall and used the AIS hotspot instead of using data from my plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

AIS has the broadest coverage and largest infrastructure throughout Thailand followed by True then Dtac. If you already have mobile phone service, then just get a data plan added from your current provider or get a new phone plan that includes data. Once you have a data plan, you will also have access to your providers free wi-fi hotspots. Before I had 3BB at home, I went to Robinson's Mall and used the AIS hotspot instead of using data from my plan.

My advice is to avoid trying to use the wifi hotspots.  It's another thing to deal with finding the hotspots and entering the username/password and they are quite often slow and intermittent to the point of being almost useless a lot of the time.  I think you get AIS wifi for free when you have an active AIS sim.  I have used both AIS and 3bb hotspots but never had much luck with them.

 

If you just get an unlimited 4G data plan with AIS you will always have data almost everywhere and it will just work with more consistent and better speeds.  No looking for hotspots, no usernames/passwords with Thai script instructions. No waiting several minutes for a simple web page or internet app to load.

 

Those wifi hotspots were put in place before decent affordable data speeds with 4G.  They will probably do away with them eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lapd said:

My advice is to avoid trying to use the wifi hotspots.  It's another thing to deal with finding the hotspots and entering the username/password and they are quite often slow and intermittent to the point of being almost useless a lot of the time.  I think you get AIS wifi for free when you have an active AIS sim.  I have used both AIS and 3bb hotspots but never had much luck with them.

 

If you just get an unlimited 4G data plan with AIS you will always have data almost everywhere and it will just work with more consistent and better speeds.  No looking for hotspots, no usernames/passwords with Thai script instructions. No waiting several minutes for a simple web page or internet app to load.

 

Those wifi hotspots were put in place before decent affordable data speeds with 4G.  They will probably do away with them eventually.

  When I was using AIS's wi-fi at Robinson's (2015) the speeds were higher than their mobile data speeds and video streaming was problem free. I also had no problems logging on as I only had to enter my mobile number after the AIS Wi-Fi app opened. 

  Having used AIS and 3BB sponsored wi-fi hotspots in several locations in Surin and Bangkok I have no complaints. I can't speak for True or Dtac. The issues you describe are more likely to occur at hotspots that provide their own wi-fi service at the lowest price internet and set-up they can get. 

  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...