Change the reason for extension of stay from taking care of Thai child to work

One for Ubonjoe, as you know I recently changed the reason for my EOS from work to taking care of one my sons, tragically in the last couple of weeks (actually the day the EOS was approved by BKK) the son I presented to immigration was killed in a motorcycle accident.

Jomtien Immigration did take all of the details of my elder son, so I have not yet informed them of this, as to my mind the reason remains the same i.e. looking after the other son.

I am now working again in the Sriracha area with a 2 year (IEAT) work permit and my company went with myself today to Sriracha immigration to see if the reason for the EOS can be changed back to work, they are saying it is not possible and that the only way is to go out of the country and get a new non b visa?

The original entry in 2004 was using a SE non b visa, this has always been used as the basis of the EOS over the past 14 years, all of the previous EOS were based on work, only this last one was different, as at the time I was not aware of this new job.

My understanding was that I could change the reason for the EOS from being based on a child to work just prior to the extension is due for renewal in September 2019 and that there was no requirement to leave the country to get a new visa?

Would it be possible to cancel the current EOS and then immediately reapply for one based on work?

• Sad 1

Sorry for you loss.

You don't have to change the reason for your extension of stay unless you want to. You can work with that category of extension.

Your extension even without having another son will remain valid until it expires. 

The from the condition of an extension of stay.

image.png.e3fe8573626b03a7e56b5f05f66cb083.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry for you loss.

You don't have to change the reason for your extension of stay unless you want to. You can work with that category of extension.

Your extension even without having another son will remain valid until it expires. 

The from the condition of an extension of stay.

image.png.e3fe8573626b03a7e56b5f05f66cb083.png

Joe, thanks, I am thinking ahead a little to next year, can the reason be changed back to work then without having to go out of the country?

Sriracha say it can't and the only way is to go out of the country?

I always thought that it was not possible to change a non imm visa category, b to o, or o to b, but you can change the reason for the EOS either way if the original visa was a non b? 

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's really sad mate, I feel for your loss, deepest sympathies.

Thanks, it has been a crappy couple of weeks that is for sure, it is going to take a long time to come to terms with it, 16 is way too young to leave this life.

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Joe, thanks, I am thinking ahead a little to next year, can the reason be changed back to work then without having to go out of the country?

Sriracha say it can't and the only way is to go out of the country?

I always thought that it was not possible to change a non imm visa category, b to o, or o to b, but you can change the reason for the EOS either way if the original visa was a non b? 

You cannot change the reason for your extension now since there is no valid reason to cancel your current one. It requires canceling the current one in order to apply for a new one.

You could change the reason for it near the end of your current extension.

55 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Would it be possible to cancel the current EOS and then immediately reapply for one based on work?

My condolences Matt.

There is no reason to change the reason for your EOS so long as your eldest son (regardless of age) can be attend immigration the next time you have to renew.

The EOS is issued on the basis of being a parent (relationship), not “taking care of” the child.