Naturalisation

Hi,

I am just checking to see once my Thai wife who has Leave to Remain receives her Indefinite Leave to Remain (5 year route) will see be able to apply for naturalisation straight away or will she need to wait for 1 year once receiving the IRL?

Hope you can help.

Best regards,

Chris

This is a kinda musing.

We as Americans get whacked pretty often in these forums for immigration.
Yet in reality, we're actually a lot more liberal than the UK and many of the European countries.

For example my my wife got permanent residency for the US within 100 days of me applying, and without all the language tests (although she she speaks fluent English) that the Brits seem to require.
In terms of citizenship, after three years of her being in US, married to a US citizen, she's automatically eligible to become a US citizen

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, that's one of the odd things about the EU. While they go about setting common standards on the pettiest things, when it comes to immigration and naturalisation, each member country is pretty much free to set its own rules. So if you've got Irish ancestry, then getting Irish citizenship is often not that difficult, but if you've got German ancestry, forget it.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, 7by7 said:

If you, yourself, are British, then yes, she can apply as soon as she has ILR; assuming she meets the other requirements of course.

If you are not British then she will need to have held ILR, or the equivalent, for at least one year before she can apply.

Can an individual just stay on ILR permanently and not do naturalisation ?

If that is possible are there problems that arise regarding working, additional health surcharge etc

What are the actual benefits of being a British citizen if you already have ILR ?

Thanks

Guest jonzboy
2 hours ago, raven0099 said:

Can an individual just stay on ILR permanently and not do naturalisation ?

If that is possible are there problems that arise regarding working, additional health surcharge etc

What are the actual benefits of being a British citizen if you already have ILR ?

Thanks

Yes you can, and there are no additional health care charges and no restrictions on working in UK that I know of.  However, with ILR you have to rely on, for example, your Thai passport, thereby needing visas to travel to countries where visas are not required with a British passport.  Also, you have to stay living in UK.  Overseas visits are OK, but as soon as you leave and cut your ties to UK, ILR can be revoked.

14 minutes ago, jonzboy said:

Yes you can, and there are no additional health care charges and no restrictions on working in UK that I know of.  However, with ILR you have to rely on, for example, your Thai passport, thereby needing visas to travel to countries where visas are not required with a British passport.  Also, you have to stay living in UK.  Overseas visits are OK, but as soon as you leave and cut your ties to UK, ILR can be revoked.

100 % worth getting for the wife then.

What's the limit on trips back to Thailand on ILR ?

Thanks

Edited by raven0099
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...