‘Big Joke’ vows to get rid of 7,000 overstaying foreigners by end of month

webfact

2 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Big Joke needs to focus on ending corruption in his department before thinking about overstayers. Classic diversion tactic. Immigration is rotten to the core. Start there and then address overstayers and illegals.

What would be the benefits for Thailand to get rid of all overstayers and illegals? I'm probably ignorant but I'm not aware of what problems they cause... At least they are not making queues longer at immigration lol.

But seriously explain to me what type of cost they are to society. I'm open minded.

38 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"or some type of anti corruption unit." If any individual ever tries to interfere with certain income streams, then I do not fancy their chances of continuing in the job.

Hehe, maybe that's why he was transferred to immigration after shutting down some tramadol factories etc...

• Haha 1

Only 7000 overstayers in a country that has 30M visitors a year. Who makes these numbers up.?
  The exact number of unlawful workers in Australia is unknown. But in May this year at Senate Estimates, it was estimated that there were 64,600 non-citizens who had overstayed their visa. This is in a country with a quarter the population of Thailand and no land borders with another country.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ironbark said:

Only 7000 overstayers in a country that has 30M visitors a year. Who makes these numbers up.?
  The exact number of unlawful workers in Australia is unknown. But in May this year at Senate Estimates, it was estimated that there were 64,600 non-citizens who had overstayed their visa. This is in a country with a quarter the population of Thailand and no land borders with another country.

They said a few days ago that there is 200000 overstayers. 7000 Will get arrested soon. 

47 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Thailand does the right thing for Thailand, pity the UK cant do the same for the UK.

I agree with you, I really do, and you are right, but Thailand should also treat decent tourists and Expats more fairly if they have genuine respect for Thailand, and taking people and families out of poverty, and contributing well to the Thai economy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hobz said:

What would be the benefits for Thailand to get rid of all overstayers and illegals? I'm probably ignorant but I'm not aware of what problems they cause... At least they are not making queues longer at immigration lol.

But seriously explain to me what type of cost they are to society. I'm open minded.

I think you missed the entire point of my post.

I did not once state going after overstayers was a good idea.

I suggested they need to clean up the corruption in immigration. Every other post on this thread extols the virtue of chasing overstayers yet you point your criticism my way?

Learn to read.

15 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I think you missed the entire point of my post.

I did not once state going after overstayers was a good idea.

I suggested they need to clean up the corruption in immigration. Every other post on this thread extols the virtue of chasing overstayers yet you point your criticism my way?

Learn to read.

Sorry, didn't mean to criticize you. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As far as I am concerned he can go for his life catching them all. If you can't play by the visa rules, you have no right to be here. Those of us here legally cop continuous flak from the bad reputation such people give the rest of us.

But we'll miss so many of the perpetual whiners here on TV.  I suspect there's a significant overlap of the chronic whingers and those who hold immigrations rules in contempt.

Maybe we could open a new forum for Farang who've resettled in another country that they want to kvetch about.

• Haha 2

Can someone explain how overstayers are costing Thailand?

I think overstayers probably are bringing in more money than they are a cost to Thailand.

Educate me. Correct me.

PS. I'm not an overstayer. I have business Visa and work permit and pay taxes. The only crime I commit is running red lights among with everyone else here ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

The prisons will be bursting at the seams I say good luck to the guy   In catching them hope it doesn’t have an adverse effect on the economy !

Presumably many/most of those who are here on overstay are doing so because they can't afford to legitimize their presence in the country one way or another.  Doubt many of them are making a major positive impact on the economy.

I might be paranoid but there may be be some general movement afoot to identify overstayers, apart from Big Joke's publicity stunts. Like, sending in a team of officers to look around a particular area. A couple of weeks ago I (as a Farang) was eyeballed by what looked like a fairly high ranking officer accompanied by two underlings, not PC plod anyway, at the local CJ, and, after exchanging the usual pleasantries, the guy said oh, you're staying at the so-and-so condo, as if he knew me and my history. Being the only long term Farang in the area I'm pretty well-known. Luckily, I'm legal, until next year anyway. The days of melting into the background as an overstayer may well be numbered. Of course, this might be total paranoia on my part, and he could well have been there for some other legitimate reason, and just saw a Farang and took an interest.

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Quite agree, I hope he does away the the dodgy visa services providing extensions for those without the funds, those people need to go home.

It is time some credit is given to those of us who are here legally and always comply with the laws even when some Thai official make it difficult for us.   Those of us married to Thais should be given long term visas to live quiet lives with our families.  90 day reporting and annual renewal of visa for married persons is a bit wrong, most of us support fully our other halfs what would they do.if we were not here. I am in my 22 year of living here,I am married to a beautiful Thai lady and have become a part of the Thai family, I have no.desire to ever leave Thailand, the family would be very unhappy if I did leave yet there is no way I can get a long term visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hobz said:

I think overstayers probably are bringing in more money than they are a cost to Thailand.

Educate me. Correct me.

PS. I'm not an overstayer. I have business Visa and work permit and pay taxes. The only crime I commit is running red lights among with everyone else here ????

Well..you gottra  beat up on someone..

Congratulations on being so squeaky clean.

I couldn't give a flying fox myself self.No graaping..no waiing..no living life on my knees whilst proclaiming that I am Persil white..for gawdsakes..

Are you men?

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, falangjim said:

Wow.  Foreigners who overstay. Big effn deal.  If it wasn't so easy for these turds to get in e.g. with bribing the numb nuts he employs, maybe he wouldn't have to work so hard rounding them up.  This guy...Joke, lives up to his name.  He's got to be as corrupt as any Thai cop. What makes him so special?  Nothing imho.

Yay!

Spot on...keep 'em coming.A bit of honesty for a change.I  couldn't give  a flying  fox for the jumped up little mountebank myself and neither would any other sane or semi crazy person living elsewhere on the planet.

Truly unique series of posts.

12 minutes ago, hobz said:

Educate me. Correct me.

I don't think they are costing Thailand anything.

Perhaps the ones working illegally and not paying taxes are a problem. 

Maybe the type of person who would over stay may also be the kind of person involved in nefarious business. Pure conjecture of course.

I don't think this should be BJ's priority.

Political, police, immigration corruption , and corruption in general should be Thailand's focus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, falangjim said:

Wow.  Foreigners who overstay. Big effn deal.  If it wasn't so easy for these turds to get in e.g. with bribing the numb nuts he employs, maybe he wouldn't have to work so hard rounding them up.  This guy...Joke, lives up to his name.  He's got to be as corrupt as any Thai cop. What makes him so special?  Nothing imho.

Apart from most people who arrive in Thailand , do not bribe anyone to get in .

You seem to be blaming immigration for people overstaying and making up something completely false about people bribing I.O to be allowed in , in the first place

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As far as I am concerned he can go for his life catching them all. If you can't play by the visa rules, you have no right to be here. Those of us here legally cop continuous flak from the bad reputation such people give the rest of us.

yes, but according to the article, the press conference was at 2:30am, so he might have been a little worse for wear!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I don't think they are costing Thailand anything.

Perhaps the ones working illegally and not paying taxes are a problem. 

Maybe the type of person who would over stay may also be the kind of person involved in nefarious business. Pure conjecture of course.

I don't think this should be BJ's priority.

Political, police, immigration corruption , and corruption in general should be Thailand's focus.

I think you are right about your conjecture. I think also overstayer might be the same people that when they end up in hospital they don't have health insurance and can't afford the bill and Thai government ends up picking up the tab.... But that goes for many non-overstayers as well afaik ... And the solution for that is not to go after overstayer but to make sure that everyone is insured somehow.. oh well.. thanks for reply!

• Like 1

They should ask why there are so many overstayers. Maybe the visa requirements are not set in a rational way. Maybe it would benefit Thailand if visa requirements were lowered. And then that would solve / reduce the overstayer problem automatically. 

I could be wrong. But I somehow doubt that the requirements are perfect.. I mean, what are the odds? Either they need to be lowered or increased probably.. not an exact science i guess.. but odds of any government getting it just perfectly right is very low IMHO.

32 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Presumably many/most of those who are here on overstay are doing so because they can't afford to legitimize their presence in the country one way or another.  Doubt many of them are making a major positive impact on the economy.

200000 people, even if they make a small positive effect to the economy that's huge when combined. And what about the cost of finding them and deporting them?

This reminds me of the whole failed drug war..

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I just wonder roughly what percentage do in reality report their address?

I'm sure it will be a flash in the pan, but who knows.

Regardless of the percentage, I fully agree with darksidedog (post #2) on this. You can't be here illegally "by mistake" - so if you're illegal, start packing. Big Joke's just round the corner!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hobz said:

200000 people, even if they make a small positive effect to the economy that's huge when combined. And what about the cost of finding them and deporting them?

This reminds me of the whole failed drug war..

I thought that  it might remind you of Xenophobia,queen of Palmyra.

Bit before my time of course but Xenophobia..she was a beauty...

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

I thought that  it might remind you of Xenophobia,queen of Palmyra.

Bit before my time of course but Xenophobia..she was a beauty...

Yeah xenophobia ofcourse ... The classic strawman = our biggest problem is the foreigners. Let's get rid of them. Happening recently in UK and US and Sweden .... and probably many other countries.

Had to Google queen of Palmyra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironbark said:

The numbers are easy to get.  Look at the entry and subtract the exits and visas.  It is I admit arithmetic but not a very high level.  I think any 8 year old could do it.  

Edited by marcusarelus

12 minutes ago, hobz said:

They should ask why there are so many overstayers. Maybe the visa requirements are not set in a rational way. Maybe it would benefit Thailand if visa requirements were lowered. And then that would solve / reduce the overstayer problem automatically. 

I could be wrong. But I somehow doubt that the requirements are perfect.. I mean, what are the odds? Either they need to be lowered or increased probably.. not an exact science i guess.. but odds of any government getting it just perfectly right is very low IMHO.

People couldnt be bothered to go to Laos and get a visa and decided not to bother , go on overstay and just pay a fine when they leave ?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nonsense..

It wouldn't be able to tackle an issue if you had two exceedingly ugly props,a dwarf hooker,two second rowers who were disavowed by their mothers,a lock who was dislexic and two breakaways with penguin issues (please see S.Freud)

You live in complete and utter fantasy land.

The problems with commenting on local issues while living thousands of miles away are obvious.  There has been some drastic changes in the last couple of weeks.  I won't go into it because my pearls of wisdom would be lost and might actually cause harm so I'll just be quiet and wait and see if there is an improvement. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, racket said:

Overstayers, criminals and other people who doesn't follow the laws should be arrested, fined and deported. It's just common sense, and this will put a relief on the burden for normal folks who're adhering to the laws and not become a subject for a minority who doesn't. But honestly, I think this is just a PR move for BJ and we don't really know what these numbers truly are. 

Where would they get all the enormous amount of extra prisonguards from ?