Thai drivers ignoring 11 million traffic tickets

webfact

Oh dear. Well, if you needed to know how integrated the Thai systems are here you have it. Perhaps instead of issuing tickets and paying the police the payment should go to a department managed by the vehicle registration then no IT integration is urgently required. Oh wait, then there's no tea money!

The smart move would have been for them to make a public announcement that everyone who has not paid their traffic tickets should do so now and give them some kind of amnesty against further action if they are very late, then issue a statement that says if you don't we are coming for you. This sounds like a perfect job for Big Joke.

No wonder they clobber the foreigners, they know the foreigners pay.

Dam. 83% not paid. Thats insanity.

We got a fine in the post one day saying we had travelled through a red light on a honda forza in bkk. Its an intersection in a place we had never been. We said send us the photo. It never came. Only one week prior we had a very public argument with the police for continually pulling us over and demanding fines for things that never happened. Always at rush hour when we need to pick up children from school so on some occasions we would just pay. Pricks would jump in frontnof the bike and grab brakes and keys and surround me like im a hardened criminal. Stupid aholes were asking for work permits saying there going to get immigration involved. I hadnt done anything wrong at all.

I have to think this ticket had something to do with this abuse.

My question is how many of the 83% were legite or police greedy childish corruption because it does happen has happened to us.

Never paid a cent. Never will until there is undeniable proof.

Edited by unamazedloso
spelling
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, markytarky said:

So, then you will have 11 million vehicles with invalid registrations. What then? 

That's ok, at least the systems will be linked - should allow for many photo op's announcing the great news.

To me, if the state really wanted to get heavy-handed then they could do something like a court-ordered garnishment or seizure.  

Those that didn’t pay would be presented to the court. The court can then approve (or not) an order of garnishment.  The government would then present that court garnishment and seize funds in any of the major banks whose records showed accounts under that persons national ID.

Given that a Thai must present their national ID card to the bank at time of opening an account and the number doesn’t change, I’d reasonably think that finding assets held in a Thai bank by a Thai national would be fairly easy.

20 hours ago, taninthai said:

Good on the Thais I say ,people in my country roll over to easy and simply pay everything ,tv license,dog license even have to pay to park when visiting sick or dying  relatives in hospital........

power to the people I say.

yes, I was glad to see the back of those embassy letters.....not

21 hours ago, webfact said:

police are hastening efforts to link their online database with the Land Transport Department’s vehicle registration system.

Great idea!  Hey, you know you don't need a computer to do this.  We've been doing it in America using only paper for decades.  ???? But yeah, with computers you can run a plate and find the outstanding tickets, issue a warrant for nonpayment, etc.  I think this is a positive move, although I'm generally not in favor of authoritarian measures.  This is helpful to public safety.  

21 hours ago, markytarky said:

So, then you will have 11 million vehicles with invalid registrations. What then? 

f they know the address to mail the ticket, surely police can have easy follow up.

Unless the address is wrong or the name is wrong or........

21 hours ago, taninthai said:

Good on the Thais I say ,people in my country roll over to easy and simply pay everything ,tv license,dog license even have to pay to park when visiting sick or dying  relatives in hospital........

Yup. I'm all for it. I'd like to see the peeps of Australia do the same. Wld really fk their illegal corporation theft funds. 

Driver education is the key. Not fines or punishment. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

The usual, know one will care.

Situation normal. PC Plonker will still sit on his arse all day long.

Carry on Thailand. 

Police frequently carry out roadblock checks near my place  - you know, the ones that the PM told them to end - and they seem to be looking mostly for those without the registration in the window. What happens to those without, I know not. Maybe they issue a fine that won't be paid ????:cheesy:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Easily solved with Balls as all the registration numbers are in the system.   Just run a TV advertising Campaign for one month advising all drivers that if their fines are not paid in 14 days their vehicles will be impounded and crushed.   If you punish offenders hard enough it will end the problem.    All this nonsense about being  'Tolerant Society' is just an excuse for disgusting behaviour by all and sundry.

just tell them they have won some money come to ??? hotel arrest them,  done a few times with criminals

3 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Crossing white line with one wheel bam! fine! I pay all fines, after so many years living in Thailand, it seems I reached the VIP membership and all my fines are capped at 500thb ????
IMG_4300.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Now this is so stupid. No other country is so strict like this. 

The dumb thing is, this is not dangerous. But the millions of motorcyclists -including Police - riding on sidewalks and dangerous to pedestrians, no problem. 

I wouldn't pay a fine like that either.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, taninthai said:

Well in that case, I urge you to hasten back to your country where you can exercise your superior Intelligence to influence a change in the system and completely stuff the place up, leaving Thailand to at least, TRY to resolve this situation.

17 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Just got my second ticket for less than 5kmh over the speed limit of 90.

It is very hard to maintain that speed over long distances on good roads.

My 5th gear is superfluous.

don't pay it, I got one in khon kaen , wife said throw in bin, so I did, never heard anymore about it, that was 3 year ago.

• Haha 1

Thing is, these tickets they are talking about are often issued for minor offenses like crossing a solid line while lane changing, parking violations etc while more serious violations like driving multiple shifts (minivan drivers falling asleep at the wheel), driving under the influence of alcohol or amphetamines (truckers and minivans) are not being seriously addressed.

The RTP is whining because they want the money, not because they want to solve the pressing issue of why Thailand is top ranked in traffic related deaths.

Their priorities are never right because the whole RTP system is based on cronyism, power trips and incentives, not to serve the public.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, taninthai said:

Until one of these drivers with no insurance crashes into You?? 

Introduce the British system that scans every vehicle on the road automatically. Anyone with an outstanding warrant or using vehicle with unpaid traffic tickets is soon stopped by the Police, vehicle impounded. If the fine is not paid, the vehicle is either auctioned or trashed.

23 hours ago, markytarky said:

They will be in really really big trouble! And receive another ticket.. and if they dont pay that one they will be in really really really big trouble... 

This is what happens when there is no consequences for anything and the best part is that it's extremely predictable for anyone with a basic low level Western education... Makes the People in power here seem completely incompetent... Incompetent is not even a strong enough word.. it's more like they are  mentally handicapped .. but that's disrespectful to people with actually handicaps... I don't know man... Not easy to have hope for road safety in Thailand... They have somewhere between 22k and 30k deaths in the roads every year and 1 million injured every year.. and they can't even figure out how to fine ppl correctly..

And this is not news btw.. this has been known for years that nobody is paying..  what has the so called it team been doing? Sniffing glue???

6 hours ago, berrec said:

Re: “ 

raiboon said he had instructed the IT team of the Royal Thai Police to work out with the Land Transport Department to link the PTM and vehicle registration”

Thailand 4.0, 5555, another knee jerk reactive feel good PR stunt,  by the time, if ever,  they get this database Intergration working effectively the offenders will be long gone from this world. 

Knee jerk reaction implies some sort of speed... This problem has been known for years... If your knee takes years to react I wouldn't call it a knee jerk reaction...

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Police frequently carry out roadblock checks near my place  - you know, the ones that the PM told them to end - and they seem to be looking mostly for those without the registration in the window. What happens to those without, I know not. Maybe they issue a fine that won't be paid ????:cheesy:

No registration = no insurance.. what happens when they have accident and no insurance?

1 hour ago, smileydude said:

Thing is, these tickets they are talking about are often issued for minor offenses like crossing a solid line while lane changing, parking violations etc while more serious violations like driving multiple shifts (minivan drivers falling asleep at the wheel), driving under the influence of alcohol or amphetamines (truckers and minivans) are not being seriously addressed.

The RTP is whining because they want the money, not because they want to solve the pressing issue of why Thailand is top ranked in traffic related deaths.

Their priorities are never right because the whole RTP system is based on cronyism, power trips and incentives, not to serve the public.

Yeah.. it's baffling that 22k-30k dead Thai and 1 million injured Thai is not enough as motivation to fix this.... They must be mentally handicapped or so corrupt and rotten to the core that it's disgusting... They have blood on their hands... Hell, they have blood up to their knees! They are bathing in it.

Edited by hobz