Durian leaf antracnose

Klong Song

I went to my local garden supply shop looking for liquid seaweed extract and they said that they didn’t but this (see images) mixed with 20 liters of water would be the same thing. Just mix and spray. Does anyone have experience with this product?IMG_0104.JPGIMG_0106.JPG

I went to my local garden supply shop looking for liquid seaweed extract and they said that they didn’t but this (see images) mixed with 20 liters of water would be the same thing. Just mix and spray. Does anyone have experience with this product?IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.8993c23c7619705795e77847086edf2a.JPGIMG_0106.thumb.JPG.fd4a4a2a12858f612a6a826f5829be39.JPG

I had my daughter translate the info on the package and it seems that this stuff is meant more for garden vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage etc.). Makes no mention of fruit trees.

This could be a good material for foliar application of micro-nutrients.  That's interesting because I have a packet sitting here on my desk that I was going to photograph and post for you, but didn't get around to it yet.  I purchased several packets like that in MaeJo, Chiang Mai. I didn't use it for foliar but used mine in a small lot of a homemade fertilizer blend, instead of buying larger sacks of individual micronutrients. 

This product is not the same as seaweed extract. Seaweed is excellent for trace minerals and some other properties.  Seaweed may have some of the micronutrients, but not in measurable quantities for supplying essential amounts of Boron, Copper, Zinc, Iron and Manganese.  The product you show has these as well as Magnesium  and Molybdenum. 

Even though it is not labeled for trees does not mean it is not suitable. But it may not be practical or affordable. Foliar fertilzation of trees requires a sprayer that can reach the entire foliar canopy, and a lot of solution to get thorough coverage. It also requires an adjuvant (surfactant) to facilitate absorbtion through the leaf waxy cuticle. Folar fertilization requires frequent repeat applications in order to deliver an adequate amount of nutrients to make a difference; it's not a one time thing but a once a week or two weeks thing. Practical for a veggie garden, but maybe not for a tree or an orchard. Foliar can be a good addition to a fertility program, but cannot get close to replacing soil mineral and biological amendments. 

Don

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:17 PM, Klong Song said:

I had my daughter translate the info on the package and it seems that this stuff is meant more for garden vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage etc.). Makes no mention of fruit trees.

Daughters are great for that; brings back memories. Mine translated all kinds of ingredients and mixing rates for me when we were farming and I was discovering Thai fertilizer and pesticide materials. 

• Like 1

This could be a good material for foliar application of micro-nutrients.  That's interesting because I have a packet sitting here on my desk that I was going to photograph and post for you, but didn't get around to it yet.  I purchased several packets like that in MaeJo, Chiang Mai. I didn't use it for foliar but used mine in a small lot of a homemade fertilizer blend, instead of buying larger sacks of individual micronutrients. 

This product is not the same as seaweed extract. Seaweed is excellent for trace minerals and some other properties.  Seaweed may have some of the micronutrients, but not in measurable quantities for supplying essential amounts of Boron, Copper, Zinc, Iron and Manganese.  The product you show has these as well as Magnesium  and Molybdenum. 

Even though it is not labeled for trees does not mean it is not suitable. But it may not be practical or affordable. Foliar fertilzation of trees requires a sprayer that can reach the entire foliar canopy, and a lot of solution to get thorough coverage. It also requires an adjuvant (surfactant) to facilitate absorbtion through the leaf waxy cuticle. Folar fertilization requires frequent repeat applications in order to deliver an adequate amount of nutrients to make a difference; it's not a one time thing but a once a week or two weeks thing. Practical for a veggie garden, but maybe not for a tree or an orchard. Foliar can be a good addition to a fertility program, but cannot get close to replacing soil mineral and biological amendments. 
Don

Thanks Don, this small packet was only a few Baht and at this point I can reach the whole canopy so I think I will go with this for now and observe the results. I was out to Talad Thai in Rangsit yesterday looking for seaweed extract and Haifa fertilizer products with no luck so I ventured out again today going to Megahome, Homepro and Thai Watsadu. Again the result was negative. If someone could steer me towards an agro chemical supply shop it would be greatly appreciated.
Garry
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 3:50 PM, Thian said:

My durian also had leaves like that in the past, i always thought it was fertilizer burn or so...it also disappeared by itself...Durian is the only tree in my garden which never has issues, no insects eat it. 

The ony spray my durian gets is seaweedextract or chemical micronutrients. It always looked healthy to me and gave it's first fruit this year.

Durian is the only tree in my garden which never has issues, no insects eat it. .... smells so bad insects run away

I use Resistim which is for foliar feeding against rootrot..it is a mix of potassiumphosphate and some other beneficials to keep the tree strong and healthy. I brought it from Europe though.

Also i prune the durian to keep it open so light and wind can go into the canopy easy.

When i see flowerbuds i spray seaweed extract (homepro) and that worked well last year. This big tree looks very healthy now.

My 2  small lab-lae duriantree's have yellow spots in the leaves and look crappy, they are in pots and i'll have to treat them better i guess (more sun).

I grew a big avocado on the same spot for years and it never had any issue except for the hass grafted on it, that always looked sick and finally died. (the tree consisted of 4 varieties). But i culled that tree since it never bloomed here in BKK.
Next to it i had a cocktail mangotree consisting of 25 different varieties grafted on it but that also had anthtracnose which i sprayed with sulfur/copper...that didn't work well though.

When you google for growing durian you'll see that the Thai use a different approach than the rest of the world...Thai don't use mulch and prefer chemical fertilizers against rootrot.

I prefer to grow my tree's without spraying chemicals, i only spray it in emergency but seaweedextract or multi-micro's i spray regularly...

About neem i noticed there are different strengths for sale...i now have a clear neem (others were brown) which costed much more and is much stronger...

0-52-34 fertilizer sold in thailand is mono potassiumphosphate against rootrot, that's sold in thailand in every plantshop.

I'm no expert at all and just use google for info. Durian is the most easy fruittree that i grow (i have loads). 

Thian, in which Homepro did you buy the seaweed extract? I may have to travel a bit.

Thanks Don, this small packet was only a few Baht and at this point I can reach the whole canopy so I think I will go with this for now and observe the results. I was out to Talad Thai in Rangsit yesterday looking for seaweed extract and Haifa fertilizer products with no luck so I ventured out again today going to Megahome, Homepro and Thai Watsadu. Again the result was negative. If someone could steer me towards an agro chemical supply shop it would be greatly appreciated.
Garry
You could probably buy one issue of a agricultural magazine.
For me I regularly buy the Kehakaset (Home Agriculture Magazine) for 70 Baht.
Half of the pages are advertisements of agricultural companies.
I'm sure you can find seaweed products or similar there.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Klong Song said:

Garry

Did you look on Lazada? 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, scubastephen said:

Used phosjet in Australia on mangos. Also used for jarhha die back on plums, worked well but don't know if available in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

PhosJet may be same or similar to PhosphoJet and Agrifos products that I have used extensively in the California central coast for prevention of sudden oak death syndrome (Phytophthora ramorum) and other fungal and watermold diseases.  It is a phosphite product (Mono-and di-potassium salts of Phosphorous Acid) first developed for the avocado industry I believe, for suppression of phytophthora crown rot. It's part of the latest generation of systemic fungicides.  It works to build resistance to disease, as preventive treatment and for suppression of advance of a vascular disease, not necessarily as a cure.  

I have not seen it in Thailand. 

• Like 2

PhosJet may be same or similar to PhosphoJet and Agrifos products that I have used extensively in the California central coast for prevention of sudden oak death syndrome (Phytophthora ramorum) and other fungal and watermold diseases.  It is a phosphite product (Mono-and di-potassium salts of Phosphorous Acid) first developed for the avocado industry I believe, for suppression of phytophthora crown rot. It's part of the latest generation of systemic fungicides.  It works to build resistance to disease, as preventive treatment and for suppression of advance of a vascular disease, not necessarily as a cure.  

I have not seen it in Thailand. 
The one used in Australia was used as a foliage spray to control phytopythora to eucalyptus trees, which attack the root systems causing them to die back at the lateral stems( hence die back). A couple of years of drought equal one dead tree.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, scubastephen said:

The one used in Australia was used as a foliage spray to control phytopythora to eucalyptus trees, which attack the root systems causing them to die back at the lateral stems( hence die back). A couple of years of drought equal one dead tree.

Yes, if the same chemistry I'm thinking, it can be applied as a dilute foliar spray application in a stress reduction formula, in concentrated form by stem injection or basal bark spray with a bark penetrating surfactant, and also as a soil drench.  

It's a very useful, low toxicity, preventive treatment. If anybody sees a similar product in Thailand please post.  

For a Phytophthora curative fungicide, for active infections, there are better choices, like mefanozam (Subdue Maxx in the US)

Agri-Fos specimen 12-09-071.pdf

POTASSIUM_PHOSPHITE1.pdf

• Like 1

There are several fungicides available in Thailand for managing phytophthora.

My first choice is Aliette from Bayer. It can be applied as a soil drench or foliar spray. I am using both approaches for my young avocado trees. 

Another product is Ridomil Gold from Syngenta - a combination of 2 fungicides metalaxyl and mancozeb that are also available separately in Thailand from other manufacturers under different brand names. 

Another product I have seen is a Thai product Foli-r-fos 400 containing phosphonic acid. 

• Like 1