WINDOWS 10

Neilcnx

I was forced to to convert to Windows 10 From. 7 In addition to my age, the incredible complicated program has kept me up at night. I finally got my email communications connected but the only other thing i really want is to be able to convert a movie to a DVD. Windows 7was quite straight forward: select a movie from pirate or ITS, a suitable, English subtitle (I'm hard of hearing), and add both to Utorrent. When finished, Utorrent would send to convertavitoDVX where there were boxes to enter for the movie and the subtitle. 'Convert' would convert and the program with the subtitle and whatever else it did and would automatically complete the program with subtitle and burn to a DVD.

Now i am unable to accomplish this due to  the complexity of new programs on the market. If anyone has a successful way of accomplishing this, please respond or send me a personal message.

Buy a new "DVD" player that  that can play files (Avi,DIVX,MPG etc)  from a memory card or USB stick...

rename the subtitles to ****movie name*** .srt  copy to USB drive..lots of recent TVs have a USB port and can often play the files  so maybe you don't even have to buy anything.

Subtitles are easy to add using Windows 10 and VLC.

Download movie, go to subscene.com and download subtitle.

Drag subtitle to movie file.

Start movie video using VLC.

Click on subtitle drop down menu.

click on first drop down menu line.

Double click the srt. file for the movie.

Movie will continue with subtitles.

• Like 2

OP, all of the things you describe are not functions of windows 10, they are functions of individual programs. You mention convertavitoDVX, it sounds like that program is missing now. Hundreds of programs will do that function.

Maybe time to change your process completely, if you are downloading movies, there is no need to convert them to a DVD to watch them. New Televisions or even your DVD player will play the downloaded movie off a usb drive, play on your computer and a HDMI/screencast connection to your television.

Unless you have a 20 year old TV and an old DVD player, there are lots of ways to watch your movies without converting them to DVDs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, all of the things you describe are not functions of windows 10, they are functions of individual programs. You mention convertavitoDVX, it sounds like that program is missing now. Hundreds of programs will do that function.

Maybe time to change your process completely, if you are downloading movies, there is no need to convert them to a DVD to watch them. New Televisions or even your DVD player will play the downloaded movie off a usb drive, play on your computer and a HDMI/screencast connection to your television.

Unless you have a 20 year old TV and an old DVD player, there are lots of ways to watch your movies without converting them to DVDs

I have my Q-Nap 6 bay NAS drive download my stuff with sickrage and neatly put them in a directory. I add movies manually and all is stored on the NAS instead of a local computer. Then a TV box connects to the NAS drive and TV and voila all the movies and TV series at the tip of my finger. 

Many of those boxes even let the box look for subtitels, so you don't have to look for it. I let sickrage download the subs for all the TV shows i follow.

I understand that for older people its hard to change their set ways. Often they don't get what they are doing and are just following steps so that makes it hard to switch to other things. But like you said there are many other ways to look at movies that are stored on a computer.

23 hours ago, d2g said:

Subtitles are easy to add using Windows 10 and VLC.

Double click the srt. file for the movie.

are you saying that VLC can make a a downloadable to my flashdrive? (I've only ever used itto watch movies and haven't delved into great features). If so, great. If not , I'm confused as to why I should use VLC.

23 hours ago, d2g said:

I understand clearly what you're saying until you get to the point of

3 hours ago, Neilcnx said:

are you saying that VLC can make a a downloadable to my flashdrive? (I've only ever used itto watch movies and haven't delved into great features). If so, great. If not , I'm confused as to why I should use VLC.

I understand clearly what you're saying until you get to the point of

Hi, if your TV has a USB port you can usually play movies straight from the flashdrive. 

You might want to go a lil bit more advanced and buy a box that connects to your network. Then you can use all video files on your computer without converting or anything. 

My video box connects to my TV and all files that are on my computer (network nas drive) are available to the movie box and to the TV.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, d2g said:

Thanks for your response: Subtitles are easy to add using Windows 10 and VLC.

Double click the srt. file for the movie. are you saying that VLC can make a downloadable to my flashdrive? (I've only ever used it to watch movies and haven't delved into greater feature list

On 10/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, johng said:

Buy a new "DVD" player that  that can play files (Avi,DIVX,MPG etc)  from a memory card or USB stick...

rename the subtitles to ****movie name*** .srt  copy to USB drive..lots of recent TVs have a USB port and can often play the files  so maybe you don't even have to buy anything.

Thanks for your response. I have a DVD player in the bedroom (where I prefer to watch the movie). Your description feels like you're skipping a step or 2 that i should know - but don't. Pain in the ass but if you could list the steps I would really appreciate.

). If so, great. If not , I'm confused as to why I should use VLC.

@Neilcnx

does your TV have a USB port ?

does your DVD player have a USB port ?

if either do then  go buy a USB flash drive  and then copy your movie from the windows 10 Utorrent download folder  straight onto the flash drive and then stick it in TV or DVD player and see if it plays....  that's the first step  subtitles later.

VLC is for playing movies on the computer  not on the TV.  ( well yes you could link the computer to the TV but that's a whole other question with different answer)

4 hours ago, johng said:

@Neilcnx

does your TV have a USB port ?

does your DVD player have a USB port ?

if either do then  go buy a USB flash drive  and then copy your movie from the windows 10 Utorrent download folder  straight onto the flash drive and then stick it in TV or DVD player and see if it plays....  that's the first step  subtitles later.

VLC is for playing movies on the computer  not on the TV.  ( well yes you could link the computer to the TV but that's a whole other question with different answer)

most TVs can't play the VLC format...with Windows 10 I download to the laptop with VLC installed then connect to the TV via an HDMI cable the ports for which most TVs and laptops have and play the laptop image thru the TV subtitles included...works OK for my purposes as I watch a lot of films with english subtitles...

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

most TVs can't play the VLC format...with Windows 10 I download to the laptop with VLC installed then connect to the TV via an HDMI cable the ports for which most TVs and laptops have and play the laptop image thru the TV subtitles included...works OK for my purposes as I watch a lot of films with english subtitles...

Well except than VLC isn't a video "format" it's a player which can read pretty much all of the formats (codecs).

Now all of the smart TVs have players which can read most of the video formats, on some you can even download / install 3rd part software, if you haven't a smart TV but if you have a recent DVD / Blueray player they can read USB video files too.

Internet TV boxes too.

Another option if you got a smart TV, you can project your desktop / laptop screen via WIFI on your TV via windows "Project to a 2nd screen => Connect to a wireless display", no cable required, you need a decent wifi network speed (A.C)

You have to select input on your TV and select "Screen mirroring" before.

Edited by Pepper9187
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Well except than VLC isn't a video "format" it's a player which can read pretty much all of the formats (codecs).

Now all of the smart TVs have players which can read most of the video formats, on some you can even download / install 3rd part software, if you haven't a smart TV but if you have a recent DVD / Blueray player they can read USB video files too.

Internet TV boxes too.

Another option if you got a smart TV, you can project your desktop / laptop screen via WIFI on your TV via windows "Project to a 2nd screen => Connect to a wireless display", no cable required, you need a decent wifi network speed (A.C)

You have to select input on your TV and select "Screen mirroring" before.

yeah...it's a bit confusing as with the many formats .wmv, .avi, .mp4, etc sometimes the VLC software on the laptop can't read it...then you haveta open the menu and select 'open with'...

so now you can watch movies wireless from laptop to TV without an HDMI cable with wifi only? what will they think of next? us neanderthals stick with the old technology as the new stuff makes us nervous...

any buffering with the wifi? any buffering during the Seven Samurai would make Kikuchiyo very annoyed...

https://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Seven-Samurai-aka-Shichinin-No-Samurai-Toshiro-Mifune-1954-Posters_i9343601_.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yeah...it's a bit confusing as with the many formats .wmv, .avi, .mp4, etc sometimes the VLC software on the laptop can't read it...then you haveta open the menu and select 'open with'...

so now you can watch movies wireless from laptop to TV without an HDMI cable with wifi only? what will they think of next? us neanderthals stick with the old technology as the new stuff makes us nervous...

any buffering with the wifi? any buffering during the Seven Samurai would make Kikuchiyo very annoyed...

https://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Seven-Samurai-aka-Shichinin-No-Samurai-Toshiro-Mifune-1954-Posters_i9343601_.htm

Ahaha well i guess next step is that your TV is going to be able to control you through the "networks", oh wait what !? it's already happening!

Edited by Pepper9187

11 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

You can buy small boxes you connect to your TV that will play all your movies from your network (over wife or cable).  I got a NAS drive (could be normal computer too) with all my movies and TV series connected to the network. I have one of those boxes connected to the TV and and network. So all my movies and tv series can be watched anywhere i want without HDMI cables. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

You can buy small boxes you connect to your TV that will play all your movies from your network (over wife or cable).  I got a NAS drive (could be normal computer too) with all my movies and TV series connected to the network. I have one of those boxes connected to the TV and and network. So all my movies and tv series can be watched anywhere i want without HDMI cables. 

sounds good, I'll havta investigate...right now I can only watch films with subtitles on the downstairs TV that's attached to the laptop with VLC via HDMI...I can watch movies from a flash drive plugged into the upstairs TV but with no subtitles, havta have VLC for that...not that it matters much as I usually read when upstairs in bed...I had been watching Decline and Fall and Killing Eve upstairs both of which are good series but got distracted and picked up the kindle instead...

wow, to think back to the days of video cassettes and VCR machines...

18 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

sounds good, I'll havta investigate...right now I can only watch films with subtitles on the downstairs TV that's attached to the laptop with VLC via HDMI...I can watch movies from a flash drive plugged into the upstairs TV but with no subtitles, havta have VLC for that...not that it matters much as I usually read when upstairs in bed...I had been watching Decline and Fall and Killing Eve upstairs both of which are good series but got distracted and picked up the kindle instead...

wow, to think back to the days of video cassettes and VCR machines...

I got one box downstairs, connected with a short HDMI cable to the TV. The connection to the network done by wifi (some use normal cables). If you have something like a router with a harddisk on your network you could put all your movies there. The box would then be able to play them all even if your laptop is off, because the data is stored on a harddisk that connects to a router. This harddisk is always available on your network so TV or laptop can use it for the movies.

If you don't like that then the box can also use your laptop (if its turned on) and play the movies from there. My box searches for subtitles if i want to or i can add them manually. 

It has come a long way for sure im thinking of getting an other box that can play netflix to replace my old box. 

• Like 1