Can hang double slide door so it fully opens?

cheeryble

IMG_5467.JPG.0a7df0cff931dd854973a28a97e69bc1.JPG

Forget the carport on the right.
You'll see two 3.1m wide openings for UPVC sliding glass doors.
I was thinking to have just two sliding panels in each, it looks well.
The left one facing us is our main bedroom to be. The other one facing left Is for the sitting room.
there will be a pond in the angle between the verandahs and both windows will look across it to more garden....very nice.
So, I’m fine with the bedroom window being two panels INSIDE the frame as normal.
But for the sitting room I’m wondering, as there is clear wall space either side of the opening on the INSIDE....and for that matter on the outside.....if instead of half the opening always being restricted with glass panels, if the panels could slide wide of the opening on the inside of the wall to leave a clear space as one gets with much more expensive bifold doors.
Obviously it would need to be sealed when shut against air movement and mosquitoes.

Any experts out there?

Thanx

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pocket doors are your friends http://www.eclisse.co.uk/pocket-doors-with-architrave

With the door running against the inside surface of the wall it's going to be difficult to seal against draughts and wildlife, but if you give up a door thickness plus a bit inside your room you can box it in so it's sealed and opens the full width. Hang a light picture on the boxing if you wish.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Pocket doors are your friends http://www.eclisse.co.uk/pocket-doors-with-architrave

With the door running against the inside surface of the wall it's going to be difficult to seal against draughts and wildlife, but if you give up a door thickness plus a bit inside your room you can box it in so it's sealed and opens the full width. Hang a light picture on the boxing if you wish.

Cheers Crossy

......needs boxing in to keep the critters and draughts out eh?

I had hoped maybe one of those flexible rubber flap seals might be enough.

If it was boxed it could actually be boxed on one side (of the inside) only with both doors sliding to, say, the right.

Even if the boxing had to be a little deeper this might be less intrusive than a box both sides.

It just occurs to me about insect screen now.........presumably this needs two sliders also which would mean a four channel guide at the bottom and top.

This could all add a bit to the price but it's sure nice to have the opening free of anything. The weight should be borne at the bottom so the top rail could just be screwed into the wall and the boxing done with a bit of framing and plasterboard.

(in fact there's not quite room to open them 100% but less than a foot of glass at the sides due to obstructions like construction pillars......not bad.

2 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

I had hoped maybe one of those flexible rubber flap seals might be enough.

You may get away with that, or one of the brush "seals". If you can get a door gear that pushes the door outwards when it reaches the closed postition that would help (think tram doors but with a less exagerated movement).

The only real issue I see with not boxing it (if you can achieve a seal) is that it will leave a large area of wall unusable and bare, unless you do a Banksy mural on it.

Like these?

image.thumb.jpg.486b99fc91e79343a2d2dc6ecc1982df.jpg&key=5397d91cc34bb46884a001dc6662f36cd084749b57a8eb7b7bd909be53ed3d40image.thumb.jpg.f03cf8548ca4dec855af57794381e9fc.jpg&key=1d6f645c0a039dbf16a4f85317a2136411f50b21e9eba46325a127cdbd28db5a

Kinda like that STWW

Though as the doors will be quite big, 1.6m wide each, and as they need to be secure, I’m thinking it might need a rail in the floor

I’ve been keeping my eyes open and have so far only seen what I’m thinking of as large electrically operated doors in big stores, hospitals, etc. These don’t have rails at the bottom.

I’ve looked carefully at the gap between wall and door and whilst it’s pretty small there is typically either side of a centimeter there......saw one last night with a brush seal at Ram CM which was fitted direct to the vertical edge of the door, but it was a glass door no frame. There was still a little gap, under a cm, and it probably could have been sealed closer, but if I don’t have framed glass panels it starts getting into thick glass and stainless fittings and expensive may as well get bifold.

I have a window shop on my list, will check them out ASAP

Crossy's boxing in May be the way to go, it'll need to accommodate one door and one insect screen panel depth wise, and needs to have a good fit inside the boxing. It is also possible that if it’s a bit deep for good looks and taking up space it could go on the outside. Maybe a boxing with weatherboarding outside might look a bit like shutters.

There’s a 3metre roof overhang so no need to worry about rain

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

At last made it to the likely window supplier today to enquire about fully opening slide doors.
It seems they can indeed do them.....only in aluminium which is a shame as the other large sliding doors and all windows are priced for UPVC.....but the benefit of making the 6m x 3m roofed verandah and the sizeable lit up square pond beyond almost into an extension of the sitting room when the doors are open would much more than compensate for a slight mismatch of mamterials.
I asked if they planned a rail in the floor and they said no.
I asked if it would be strong they said it’s fine especially when locked.
I said the motorized Ones I had seen had a gap of a centimeter for air and mosquitoes. The technician explained something I didn’t quite understand, but he showed me a distance on e end of his finger nearer a half centimetre so I suspect he was speaking of a seal or a brush.
I’d also add that right now in grandma,s house we sleep in a room with no glass but shutters only one of which has flyscreen the others stay shut but the point is that there,s a gap of a good centimeter in places and the mozzies d9nt come in.
So I suspect they’re speaking of a double version of STWW's door.

I didn’t have time to go into the detail of the flyscreen etc for the doors I want but it sounds doable.
Thought of a nice way to box them even though it may not be necessary and also thought it maybe be nicer the have the doors both sliding to one side.
Stay tuned I gotta get the detail on this.
Price was 10,800 whereas we have been costed 9700 for UPVC which slides inside the frame as normal

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived