Help Needed Please

Pattayatony

Im having trouble downloading programs. The trouble first started with Firefox and I couldnt download anything. I uninstalled Firefox and tried to download it again with IE but it shows 99% download and I cant open it, the same thing happens when trying to download anything including a new firewall. Help is needed here and a cup of coffee is your reward.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Tony

Edited by Pattayatony

Tony , I'm going to sit on this until you get help cos I have huge problems on my desktop...

BTW Has anyone heard of a virus called BLOODHOUND, I may have contracted that yesterday.

Good luck Tony.

The only thing I've heard of related to your 99% problem is in D/Ling torrents where a file called thumbs.db is placed in the same folder which prevents D/L reaching 100 %. In Torrent world this is deleted.

Best wait for the experts :o

Are you using a router? Sometimes a router that's not working well can jumble up parts of the package and cause downloads to hang at 99% or dl fully yet not run. Running the router in gaming mode, if it has one, and updating to the latest firmware should help. Also make sure your ethernet adaptor has the latest driver installed.

Tony , I'm going to sit on this until you get help cos I have huge problems on my desktop...

BTW Has anyone heard of a virus called BLOODHOUND, I may have contracted that yesterday.

Good luck Tony.

The only thing I've heard of related to your 99% problem is in D/Ling torrents where a file called thumbs.db is placed in the same folder which prevents D/L reaching 100 %. In Torrent world this is deleted.

No I havnt heard of BLOODHOUND but I got an email from a mate in Melbourne yesterday warning me about a new one that crases your hard drive and they come in email with anything to do with "Osama Bin-Laden hanged " "Osama Bin Laden Captured" and another one with attachment called "Invitation" also the damage they are doing cant be repaired.

Cheers Tony

Are you using a router? Sometimes a router that's not working well can jumble up parts of the package and cause downloads to hang at 99% or dl fully yet not run. Running the router in gaming mode, if it has one, and updating to the latest firmware should help. Also make sure your ethernet adaptor has the latest driver installed.

No router used and it dosnt make any difference if Im using adsl or loxinfo dial up.

How do I do this? (updating to the latest firmware should help. Also make sure your ethernet adaptor has the latest driver installed.)

Cheers Tony

Go to Control Panel >>> System >>> Hardware >>> Device Manager >>> Go down to Network Adaptors and expand it. Most likely you will have two listed, one saying '1394' in the description that you can ignore (that's the firewire), and the other probably has 'ethernet' somewhere in it. Right-click on that and choose 'Update Driver' and follow the wizard.

Sometimes you may have to go get the new driver from the manufacturer's website. To do this just put the model number listed (that you right-clicked on) into Google, Yahoo or whichever along with the word driver and you'll find it.

Go to Control Panel >>> System >>> Hardware >>> Device Manager >>> Go down to Network Adaptors and expand it. Most likely you will have two listed, one saying '1394' in the description that you can ignore (that's the firewire), and the other probably has 'ethernet' somewhere in it. Right-click on that and choose 'Update Driver' and follow the wizard.

Sometimes you may have to go get the new driver from the manufacturer's website. To do this just put the model number listed (that you right-clicked on) into Google, Yahoo or whichever along with the word driver and you'll find it.

No need to update the driver that what it says Driver working OK. ????? anymore I can do??

No need to update the driver that what it says Driver working OK. ????? anymore I can do??

It always says that. Replace it anyway. I just did mine this morning and got rid of a ton of latency I was getting. Most of these addaptors update their drivers every six months or so.

Edited by cdnvic

It always says that. Replace it anyway. I just did mine this morning and got rid of a ton of latency I was getting. Most of these addaptors update their drivers every six months or so.

Still I cant update just keeps saying no need!!

Went to VIA Technologies, Inc. and tried to download a new driver but same thing only 99% and cant open it.

AXE TIME!!!!!!

Still I cant update just keeps saying no need!!

Went to VIA Technologies, Inc. and tried to download a new driver but same thing only 99% and cant open it.

AXE TIME!!!!!!

I have just put the reward UP to 1 Coffee and 3 Beers. Boy Im sure missing Firefox.

PM me your ethernet adaptor model number and your email. I'll go get the file and email it to you.

cdnvic, Thank you for your help the other day. I took Computer to repair man and discovered a virus when deleted could not re- boot computer so I had a new HD installed which was really over due and all is OK again fingers crossed.

Cheers Tony

Get a good antivirus (ie..not AVG)

Free: Antivir or Avast

Paid: nod32

Glad to hear things are working again. :o

what is wrong with AVG? i've been using it for three years now. not a single virus in my box. just update it regularly. and also get AVG Anti-spyware. works like a charm.

I regularly fix virus infected PCs that almost always are running AVG. I've yet to have do this to one running any of the above programs. AVG misses too many infections, plain and simple. This is proven time and again by independant testing labs. Your surfing habits probably have the most to do with not getting infected than anything.

AVG bought Edwido antispyware recently so that part may be good as Edwido was an excellent program.

Get a good antivirus (ie..not AVG)

Free: Antivir or Avast

Paid: nod32

Glad to hear things are working again. :D

what is wrong with AVG? i've been using it for three years now. not a single virus in my box. just update it regularly. and also get AVG Anti-spyware. works like a charm.

I regularly fix virus infected PCs that almost always are running AVG. I've yet to have do this to one running any of the above programs. AVG misses too many infections, plain and simple. This is proven time and again by independant testing labs. Your surfing habits probably have the most to do with not getting infected than anything.

AVG bought Edwido antispyware recently so that part may be good as Edwido was an excellent program.

I had AVG on my computer also had Spybot, Adaware, Zone Alarm firewall, Avast, The Tech said part of the problem was I had too many anti virus , spyware etc o my computer. He deleated them all and just put AVG on and another one called spy ware blaster?????

I usually run Adaware, Spybot, and Zone labs firewall. I now have to try and find another firewall any ideas cdnvic? A couple of years ago I used the Zone Labs security suite but I found it slowed down the computer too much. I like to keep things simple. I also have another problem with Maxnet ADSL it keeps disconecting, I get all of the usual B/S from True the tecks came out on Tuesday and said it was because I also had the phone connected at the same time and to leave it disconected for 2 weeks and see if it improves. After I told them That I went through this a couple of weeks ago and the True support told me the same thing it didnt make any difference they just walked out. I will be back onto Maxnet to complain again this morning. While I have been typing this the connection has dropped out 3 times.

Cheers Tony :o

I'll recommend a complete package for you;

1. Download Antivir. It catches most viruses the others miss.

2. Zone Alarm free is fine but be sure that Windows Firewall is disabled if using it.

3. Spyware blaster is fine, but use a second antispyware scan once a week. My pick is AD-AwareSE.

Dump the AVG before installing Antivir. Here's the results of tests done by AV Comparatives' labs in % of all malware detected;

Avira Antivir: 99.69%

Grisoft AVG Pro: 91.55%

I strongly suggest a router as their firewalls are more robust.

I'll recommend a complete package for you;

1. Download Antivir. It catches most viruses the others miss.

2. Zone Alarm free is fine but be sure that Windows Firewall is disabled if using it.

3. Spyware blaster is fine, but use a second antispyware scan once a week. My pick is AD-AwareSE.

Dump the AVG before installing Antivir. Here's the results of tests done by AV Comparatives' labs in % of all malware detected;

Avira Antivir: 99.69%

Grisoft AVG Pro: 91.55%

I strongly suggest a router as their firewalls are more robust.

More Problems since I got the computer back when I try and open Briefcase and some other programs I get this message "this application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Can anyone give advice about this? Must remember your dealing with this old guy who is computer stupid.

Cheers Tony :o

Good luck Tony.

here is a way to reduce the possibility of getting a virus go to control panel click on folder & files scroll down until you find windows script host and delete it and close reboot your computer this reduces the possibility of getting a virus this go back to win/98