Help On Thai Visa Plans?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here ???? Just wondering if I could run my Thailand visa plans by people here? I think I have it all right, but I’d like to be sure because there is soooooo much conflicting advice online. 

I’m Australian, I arrived in Thailand on the 30 days, extended it for another 30 days which expires mid-November. I need to be here until early February.

My plans are:

- Land border run to Myanmar to get another 30 days (until mid-Dec 2018)
- Extend that at Immigration for another 30 days (until mid-Jan 2019)
- Do another land border run in mid-Jan for another 30 days (until mid-Feb)

I guess my primary concerns are: 

1) As an Australian, will I get 30 days at the border instead of the old 15?

2) Am I able to extend the border run visas at Immigration?

I really appreciate the time from anyone who has read this and can help ????

Warm regards

1. You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing. There is no longer a 15 day entry rule since the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings rule went into effect.

2. You can extend any 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a visa) for 30 days at a immigration office.

One option you might want to consider is to apply for a single entry tourist visa at a nearby embassy or consulate that will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

• Like 1

1. Yes

2. Yes

You can make a maximum of 2 land border entries using visa exemption per calendar year. If you are planning on staying long term — as a tourist— you are best advised to use Tourist Visas whenever possible, and only use visa exemption if necessary. However, your plan shouldn’t be a problem.

Thank you to both of you, that is a huge help ???? Yep the 60 day Tourist Visa would absolutely be the best way to go. I need to go to Yangon or Vientiane for that right? They're not available at the border if I stay 2-3 nights for it?

4 minutes ago, HelloJo said:

Thank you to both of you, that is a huge help ???? Yep the 60 day Tourist Visa would absolutely be the best way to go. I need to go to Yangon or Vientiane for that right? They're not available at the border if I stay 2-3 nights for it?

They are not available at the border so you must apply at an embassy/consulate. Vientiane would be the easier option of the two, but available at both.