Denatured alcohol in Thai?

Boris Popovic

From the above link.

"Names for "methylated spirits" around the world.

In the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, metho is called methylated spirits. In the US and Canada its called denatured alcohol, methyl hydrate*, or fondue fuel. In Europe, it may be called spirits, brennspirits (Germany), alcool a bruler (France), or alcool etilico denaturato (Italy).

It is generally available in hardware stores, supermarkets, service stations, and camping/outdoors stores.

Methylated spirits may not be available in some countries due to alcohol restrictions (e.g. Pakistan)."

Thanks guys! I got something in a brown bottle, not much smell and it does the job, but not as potent in cleaning as the original denatured alcohol. I will try the above suggested. I only now realized what the "denatured" stands for. Basically they make it bad and toxic so you can't drink it, and hardware stores can sell it without alcohol license.

7 hours ago, Boris Popovic said:

Thanks guys! I got something in a brown bottle, not much smell and it does the job, but not as potent in cleaning as the original denatured alcohol. I will try the above suggested. I only now realized what the "denatured" stands for. Basically they make it bad and toxic so you can't drink it, and hardware stores can sell it without alcohol license.

Back in the old days the hobos used to put some boot polish in it to give it some colour and flovour. It still made them crazy.

Do you want methanol (wood alcohol) or denatured alcohol (ethanol with poison added so as to make it undrinkable)?

If it's the latter, it's available at any pharmacy. Thai rubbing alcohol is ethanol, the same alcohol as in whiskey, not isopropyl alcohol as is found in the US.

Look for a clear bottle containing a blue fluid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, midzo said:

Do you want methanol (wood alcohol) or denatured alcohol (ethanol with poison added so as to make it undrinkable)?

If it's the latter, it's available at any pharmacy. Thai rubbing alcohol is ethanol, the same alcohol as in whiskey, not isopropyl alcohol as is found in the US.

Look for a clear bottle containing a blue fluid. 

I'll try that too. I am just using what they use at all flute factories for cleaning flute parts. They did their research to what's the best, I guess. I have no idea.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:20 AM, CharlieH said:

From the above link.

"Names for "methylated spirits" around the world.

In the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, metho is called methylated spirits. In the US and Canada its called denatured alcohol, methyl hydrate*, or fondue fuel. In Europe, it may be called spirits, brennspirits (Germany), alcool a bruler (France), or alcool etilico denaturato (Italy).

It is generally available in hardware stores, supermarkets, service stations, and camping/outdoors stores.

Methylated spirits may not be available in some countries due to alcohol restrictions (e.g. Pakistan)."

Essentially, Methyl Alcohol is Ethyl alcohol (which is marginally drinkable but well not recommended.)  It is made more dangerous to drink by addition of a percentage of very poisonous Methanol to discourage misuse.  This makes it an ethyl alcohol which has been "methylated";  hence the names, Methylated Spirit or Methyl Alcohol.   In some countries it is coloured a light purple with Picrin to make it obvious what it is, but here it is clear.  Every local hardware store sells it.  I believe "denatured" means "not in its original natural state," because of the addition of the percentage of added Methanol.