Few Thais heed Seoul’s warning on illegal work

webfact

Few Thais heed Seoul’s warning on illegal work

By The Nation

1ae8375c0856e6db0d08291c84f45e6f.jpeg

Only three of the 120,000 undocumented Thais working in South Korea have registered with the authorities to return home during a grace period continuing through next March, according to Labour Minister Pol General Adul Sangsingkeo.

He said about 900 Thais had so far found their own way home without alerting South Korean authorities.

Adul this week called a meeting of relevant agencies, including the Foreign Affairs Ministry, Royal Thai Police and Thailand Travel Agents Association, to help the Thais return home and discuss measures to stop more Thais from going to South Korea work illegally.

He cited a Labour Attache report that only three Thai workers had so far registered to return home voluntarily, while 900 had left without notifying the authorities.

Of 200,000 Thai workers in South Korea, 66,000 were there legally and 24,000 had been dispatched there under the Employment Permit System.

All the rest were working illegally, the report said.

Many Thais obtain jobs in South Korea illegally with the help of brokers and arrive posing as tourists. Dubbed “phi noi” (little ghosts) by Thai news media, they have no rights and few if any healthcare benefits.

South Korea announced on October 1 that foreigners overstaying their visas or working illegally would be allowed to leave by March 31, 2019, without penalty.

Thai media have urged the illegal Thai workers to take this opportunity, noting that their illegal activity overseas would not be shared with the Thai government so they’d be able to re-enter South Korea in the future to work legally.

South Korea warned that foreigners caught working illegally in industries such as construction, adult entertainment and massage would be immediately deported and banned from returning for up to 10 years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357068

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-24

Now just imagine "Big Joke" had to deal with 120,000 illegal Nigerians, Liberians or indeed Germans, Dutch, Brits and what not. I mean, they already make press announcements that sound like the entire country had been flooded with illegal foreigners when they arrest three dozen Cambodians, Pakistanis or Indians and state what a tremendous security risk these poor souls allegedly pose for the kingdom. 

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

I can only hope Korea treats them exactly how foreigners are being treated right now here. Raids, arrests, deportations, and so on. Targeting Thais specifically. 

That's right, "Good guys in, Bad Thai's out"

I'm actually stunned that it's taken South Korean officials this long to actually respond to this situation.

I think many of us will know, at least tangentially someone in 'Guo Le' working illegally.

My wife spoke this morning to the wife of her cousin who's there illegally, and she was totally unaware of this, and was even less bothered to check it out.

Sooner or later the visa free travel to SK is going to end

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Time to get the cameras out for Big Jokes Korean cousin. He's going to deport all 120,000 by the end of month.

Big Kim Chee?

Have a bro-in-law that jumped ship from a tour group in the US.  Worked illegally and many years later got legal through "marriage".  He worked alongside some other Thai illegals for years.  Bought a bagel shop and made money making bagels.

Another in-law was in the US for a year or more, working illegally.  His wife, my sis-in-law, worked illegally in Japan for some years.  Learned Japanese, made some money.  They bought some farm property years ago in Isaan that they are now trying to sell for 45 million Baht. Sometimes hard work pays off.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

South Korea warned that foreigners caught working illegally in industries such as construction, adult entertainment and massage would be immediately deported and banned from returning for up to 10 years.

I would have a guess that's 99% of them !

Consideration the zeal and intensity with which the Thai authorities are pursuing illegal workers here, even for the most petty of infractions, it seems only fair that South Korea does the same toward the Thai workers there. Few are going to be shedding tears over this. 

The immigration department here reeks of fake Puritanism and xenophobia. 

Any of you keyboard warriors stop to think for a minute why these people go live and work there illegally???

Do you really think that it’s for fun??  They are just normal people who want to better their and their children’s life.  I know a couple who are working in S. Korea, who are making about ฿60000 a month between them, she a seamstress and him in construction.  They’d get a third of that here!!

They do not even live together because their jobs are far apart, sleeping in dorms with other workers, sharing amenities.  

They need the money to pay for their kids’ education and a home which the bank was going to repossess.  They want to return to Thailand as soon as they make what they need. 

the Thai brokers who make money off these sort of people who risk their lives and live in squalid conditions should be the ones they should really crack down on.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Only three of the 120,000 undocumented Thais working in South Korea have registered with the authorities to return home during a grace period continuing through next March, according to Labour Minister Pol General Adul Sangsingkeo.

Thais don't want to leave 'lucrative' jobs and S. Korean employers don't want to lose cheap labor.  Maybe South Korea should implement X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner? 

1 hour ago, Jinjo14 said:

Any of you keyboard warriors stop to think for a minute why these people go live and work there illegally???

Fxxx you and anyone else like you who lacks empathy towards foreigners who live here in the midst of this harassment that is going on with immigration and expect us to be sympathetic to Thai people who are living in other countries.

I'm american, and I have written to reps and senators in my state and I hope the thais in the US get taunted and hunted and sent back to Thailand, and yes they are in the millions. The only problem is that As a Thai person in America/Europe after a few years you earn the right in there forever and become a citizen, and even contest for elections, whereas as an American living here I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than becoming a citizen/resident, and God forbid I become sick after 20 years of already being legal here and become unable get my visas due to my illness, i'll be hounded like a dog and tossed in Thai immigration Detention Center (aka gas chamber), and mind you I've raised a Thai family with kids from another Dad and bought cars and built houses for her family members and treated their kids like my own blood. I have seen this happen to countless of Foreigner with absolutely NO mercy from the Thais.

I want other countries to start tortmenting thais who live there and possibly cancel the citizenship of any Thai who visits thailand more than once in 2 years, and maybe this will cause Thais to start demonstrating about the harsh way their immigration is treating foreigners here. Most of these Thai politicians have kids who hold citizenship in other countries and they'll be the first to brag about it when you talk to them. I tell my neigbours about the constant troubles I've had with my visas over the years and they pretend to listen and pretend to care with the "oh sia dai na", and nobody gives a shit afterwards...After being here for over 20 years I have come to accept something "a thai person is like a cat who cry meow for you to give them milk or cuddle them when they want to feel loved, but will never stick their neck to fight for you because you're a foreigner. GOD, I WISH I NEVER STEPPED FOOT IN THIS PLACE, i'm stuck here financially.

2 hours ago, Jinjo14 said:

Do you really think that it’s for fun??  They are just normal people who want to better their and their children’s life.  I know a couple who are working in S. Korea, who are making about ฿60000 a month between them, she a seamstress and him in construction.  They’d get a third of that here!!

They do not even live together because their jobs are far apart, sleeping in dorms with other workers, sharing amenities.  

They need the money to pay for their kids’ education and a home which the bank was going to repossess.  They want to return to Thailand as soon as they make what they need. 

the Thai brokers who make money off these sort of people who risk their lives and live in squalid conditions should be the ones they should really crack down on.

Sound exactly the same as Cambodians, Laos and Myanmar citizens who have come to Thailand; those currently being persecuted by Thai Immigration.

Sounds to me they'd be better off in South Korea!

37 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

a thai person is like a cat who cry meow for you to give them milk or cuddle them when they want to feel loved, but will never stick their neck to fight for you because you're a foreigner.

100% true 

2 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

Fxxx you and anyone else like you who lacks empathy towards foreigners who live here in the midst of this harassment that is going on with immigration and expect us to be sympathetic to Thai people who are living in other countries.

I'm american, and I have written to reps and senators in my state and I hope the thais in the US get taunted and hunted and sent back to Thailand, and yes they are in the millions. The only problem is that As a Thai person in America/Europe after a few years you earn the right in there forever and become a citizen, and even contest for elections, whereas as an American living here I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than becoming a citizen/resident, and God forbid I become sick after 20 years of already being legal here and become unable get my visas due to my illness, i'll be hounded like a dog and tossed in Thai immigration Detention Center (aka gas chamber), and mind you I've raised a Thai family with kids from another Dad and bought cars and built houses for her family members and treated their kids like my own blood. I have seen this happen to countless of Foreigner with absolutely NO mercy from the Thais.

I want other countries to start tortmenting thais who live there and possibly cancel the citizenship of any Thai who visits thailand more than once in 2 years, and maybe this will cause Thais to start demonstrating about the harsh way their immigration is treating foreigners here. Most of these Thai politicians have kids who hold citizenship in other countries and they'll be the first to brag about it when you talk to them. I tell my neigbours about the constant troubles I've had with my visas over the years and they pretend to listen and pretend to care with the "oh sia dai na", and nobody gives a shit afterwards...After being here for over 20 years I have come to accept something "a thai person is like a cat who cry meow for you to give them milk or cuddle them when they want to feel loved, but will never stick their neck to fight for you because you're a foreigner. GOD, I WISH I NEVER STEPPED FOOT IN THIS PLACE, i'm stuck here financially.

Typical moaning attitude resorting to name calling and cursing.  

You sound as if you have made some bad choices in these last 20 years and now you’re old, bitter and blaming the Thais. In 20 years, with some effort I don’t think gaining pr is ‘like winning the lottery’.  Of course, if you just wait for it to happen without helping yourself, it never will.

And wishing all Thai people abroad get persecuted??? As if the normal Thai person in the street is to blame for the tough immigration laws the country has.  

You came here out of choice, these illegal immigrants go out of necessity.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai working in construction? In Thailand they won't do it, for punishment big Joke should force them to work in Thai construction for 5 years.

within reason, anyone will do anything if the price is right

160baht to smash rocks in the sun all day? yeah, not many thais are going to do that LOL

56 minutes ago, Jinjo14 said:

Typical moaning attitude resorting to name calling and cursing.  

You sound as if you have made some bad choices in these last 20 years and now you’re old, bitter and blaming the Thais. In 20 years, with some effort I don’t think gaining pr is ‘like winning the lottery’.  Of course, if you just wait for it to happen without helping yourself, it never will.

And wishing all Thai people abroad get persecuted??? As if the normal Thai person in the street is to blame for the tough immigration laws the country has.  

You came here out of choice, these illegal immigrants go out of necessity.

Below is my response to someone else on a different topic, I believe it suits you too.

You can continue to support this Xenophobic acts by the Thai Government, and I believe you are either four of one of these groups of people who feel they re never going to have to be under the hammer of this growing Xenophobia. You are either a luk kreung, a foreigner married to Thai but you live outside the country, one of the lucky who got a residence permit or you a retiree.

Here is what you need to understand foreigners are being used as scape goats in this political game currently ongoing in Thailand and being that most Thai's are closet Xenophobes they honestly don't have  problem with it.

And here is where the problem is for a person like you cheering on this Mania. If you are a luk kreung you already know that you'll never be considered Thai, and you'll never be able to run for a mere council office as a politician not unless your other half is asian, if you're married to a Thai woman who was raised in Thailand or by a Thai woman anywhere else then your marriage is only a marriage of comfort, and whatever children you bring fort will FOREVER be foreigners and disenfranchised in thailand, If you're a retiree - understand this you can't survive here without the other foreigners and their businesses, Thailand would never be thesame without them and yes, once they start lacking foreigners from other visa categories, they'll start harassing your old ass in the retiree dept, and if you are one of the lucky few who got the residence card, you're still not considered Thai, you're not "Thai Thai", you can't get a car loan or a house loan, and when ever you stop bending over you will be reminded that you are just a foreigner with an ID.

Where did I say I support the ‘xenophobic acts’ of the government?   Lol

Let’s get this straight mate.  I understand  where you’re coming from.  I too have suffered indignities with immigration and headaches with border runs / extensions etc when I lived here.  On the other hand, as you correctly say, my country after 3 months of marriage have my Thai wife permanent residence.   I know firsthand it doesn’t feel right.

BUT my ORIGINAL POST wasn’t disputing the draconian Thai immigration and laws was it???? 

I just can’t bear whinging people who came here of their own accord,  wishing ill on others who were born here and have no blame in what the law is. 

No no more from me now, wish you all the best, health and karma!

4 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

So now we can discern from your rant here and the other post that "you" are on overstay and are fearful of being caught up in this "good guys in  bad guys out" saying that exceptions should be made for falangs who have GF/wife kids here.. Sorry but you were young and "dumb" that you came for a visit and fell for a pretty/sexy Thai girl sold everything you had and are now stuck here. You should have checked the rules and ways to stay here long term (marriage visa)  If it came to a point of you not making enough to fullfill the mariage visa requirements then you should have left ,retuned to USA and found a job and brought your family over . Only choice now is to go to airport pay 20,000 baht overstay fine and work in USA or elsewhere till you 1--5 year ban is over. If can get good USA job bring family over. if caught on a long overstay the ban will be 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

So now we can discern from your rant here and the other post that "you" are on overstay and are fearful of being caught up in this "good guys in  bad guys out" saying that exceptions should be made for falangs who have GF/wife kids here.. Sorry but you were young and "dumb" that you came for a visit and fell for a pretty/sexy Thai girl sold everything you had and are now stuck here. You should have checked the rules and ways to stay here long term (marriage visa)  If it came to a point of you not making enough to fullfill the mariage visa requirements then you should have left ,retuned to USA and found a job and brought your family over . Only choice now is to go to airport pay 20,000 baht overstay fine and work in USA or elsewhere till you 1--5 year ban is over. If can get good USA job bring family over. if caught on a long overstay the ban will be 10 years.

Mate, just to let you know, I read your post, and I refuse to engage you because your comment reeks of an obvious drop in IQ. I guess in your very cultured brain anyone who despises what's going on in the country with regards to immigration must be on overstay? huh? That's how you've digested all the news cycle recently?  You have a great life bud, I'm no longer responding.to you, wont stoop to your level of illiteracy.

18 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm actually stunned that it's taken South Korean officials this long to actually respond to this situation.

I think many of us will know, at least tangentially someone in 'Guo Le' working illegally.

My wife spoke this morning to the wife of her cousin who's there illegally, and she was totally unaware of this, and was even less bothered to check it out.

Sooner or later the visa free travel to SK is going to end

What is it about Thai visa that encourages OPs, who are obliged to write in the English language - to include at least one transliterated Thai word, such as the example here - when everyone who reads this would understand the English word. 

Not to mention the that the transliteration is badly formed and if read the English way, comes across clearly as the sound, "goo-o leh"

Fatuous, unnecessary, usually unrecognisable in that form and always brings nothing to the subject in hand!

English please!

19 hours ago, Bundooman said:

What is it about Thai visa that encourages OPs, who are obliged to write in the English language - to include at least one transliterated Thai word, such as the example here - when everyone who reads this would understand the English word. 

Not to mention the that the transliteration is badly formed and if read the English way, comes across clearly as the sound, "goo-o leh"

Fatuous, unnecessary, usually unrecognisable in that form and always brings nothing to the subject in hand!

English please!

'gao lee' would have been easier to understand maybe. Or even 'gaue lee'. 

Archived