O/A Visa criminal background check question

Got most all my documents for the application. The Thai Embassy visa instructions state for the criminal background check that the background check  "must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only". Does a State Background check for the county I reside, issued by the Clerk of Superior Court, with raised seal suffice? It states it only searches the county that I reside in.  I've read that maybe the different Thai Embassies may, or may not accept this background check. I see the fee is non-refundable, would hate to drop $200, only to be refused because of the background check. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Thank y'all for the rapid replies.

The FBI check appears to take up to 4 months. Think may apply for check now, and apply for the O visa, and extend. Then return to the US when background check is done, apply for O/A visa then.

That will get us out of the cold for this winter anyhows!

You don’t mention which state you reside in. Each year I obtain a non imm o-a multi entry visa via the LA Thai Consulate and get the necessary police report via the Washington State Patrol - my state. I make the request for a notarized report via their internet site and it shows up in my mail box in a week or so.

I got an fbi check years ago in one to two weeks using one of their approved agencies. Paid extra for it like 39 dollars and shipping but it was worth it to me. Google fbi reports and they should come up. They are apparently fbi approved company that gets fbi reports faster than the normal four months if you order directly from the fbi.  

I got my first report from Dallas county Sheriffs office. I called the Thai consulate and was told that would not be accepted.  They speak English and will answer your call of you call them. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Different said:

What about countries other than the US, would a local police center report be enough or it must be from records of the ministry of Interior.

The criminal background check must be for the country where you are applying for the OA visa. That would also have to be your home country or country of legal residence.

I not aware of a ministry of interior doing background checks. I assume there may be countries that do it that way.

I live in Illinois and send my request for background check to Illinois State Police. I had to establish an online account with them.

I pay them $10 with my credit card and they e-mail me the certificate.

I then print out the certificate and I'm good to go........simple!

No need to spend $200.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We really thank everyone for their insight to this process! Don't want to muck it up, want to get it correct the first time. Following Ubonjoe's link to the SBI information, I have contacted the Sheriff's dept, and am going for fingerprints today!!.

• Like 1

I've gotten my criminal records check for an O-A from both Pennsylvania State Police and Washington State Police and have never paid more than $10

A finger print check is overkill, you want a visa, not a security clearance 

DC Embassy accepted my local sheriffs Department letter stating I had no criminal record on file for my first O-A, now they are more specific,  requiring it be from the state or FBI 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is what originally confused me - Sheriff is local, but is a state LEO. I had read here that a sheriffs check sufficed for some, and not others, at different Thai Embassy locations. When I inquired at the local Sheriff's office, was informed they only do a "county you reside in check", and that is through the Clerk of Court office.  In North Carolina at least, to get the State Bureau of Investigation records check, it's required to have you fingerprints done at local law office on proper form, and submitted, along with SBI form, to the SBI. Fingerprints cost $5.00, SBI fee is $14.00.  Fingerprints, and form, on the way to the SBI now!! Thanks to all the help!

• Like 1