Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

The US FAQ above says

"or a local bank statement showing a monthly deposit of at least 65,000 Thai Baht. "

So looks like the letters' work will move from embassies to banks...

Yes it does say that. But let's wait for OFFICIAL word from Thai immigration to confirm.

I was talking about assuming statements from NON-THAI banks, etc. will be accepted is basically INSANE at this point. Maybe later. Maybe never. I think more likely never.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackhorse said:

Agreed that's the way to go . I have a good friend in my condo block who I'm always lending a few thousand baht to just before pension day. No way he can raise even 200k and to old to start again in the USA.

Just another option

Not sure if someone to lend you the money would be available to all, and quite honestly there would have to be implicit trust. What happens if the borrower dies before he pays you back?

I’m a bit confused ( quite easy these days)

As a Brit I have to provide printed out copies of bank statements- I suppose you could forge them - but not so easy.

Is it an urban myth - if you are American- you just go along and swear some oath in front  of your flag and say - yes my income is $3000 a month or whatever . 

Then hey presto- the income letter appears .

Please tell me that is an urban myth. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I could be wrong; however, I believe you have to supply a lot of backup evidence to demonstrate the money came in. My understanding is it's not as simple as just making a withdrawal.

When you transfer money in it shows up in your bank book as a foreign transfer in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Huh? Why are you even talking about what they SHOULD do? It's about what they DO do. Currently they require embassy income letters. A person would have to be nuts to go in there and ASSUME they will accept evidence of foreign bank statements at this EARLY stage. Cheers.

Yes I know that is what they require and I never suggested to go in there with bank statements. The point is that there is a possibility Thai immi could accept bank statements  in the future if income letters become non existent. But at this point be prepared for the 800 option .

17 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, but that only establishes what you did during the past year. No proof you'd be able to manage it during the life of a new extension.

And for someone who stays in Thailand for 9 months of the year, would he need to shift Baht 65000 a month in during the months he was out of the country?

Showing (genuine) social security and pension payments suggests your income will be there for the next year as well. 

That's a good question....We're gone 3 months a year = and they happen to be the 3 months right before annual renewal .....Typically, we're back 5-10 days before renewing.....Stuck in that time slot due to school schedule.....

Why does the Thai Immigration office not verify the applicants income themselves???
Sounds crazy, I know, but they would be doing the same thing as an embassy, and they have exactly the same powers that the embassy have to confirm the income. (ie. none)
Oh thats right they're too stupid, too lazy, and expect other people to do their jobs for them. 

They don’t verify anything themselves but require verification from another authority. I am on a marriage extension and as well as the letter from my bank verifying my bank book balance is correct they require a form from the amphur to verify my marriage certificate is valid and photos of me and wife in house to verify my address is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What are they supposed to do?

Leave their Thai families behind and go back to their own country on their own?

And if you're in your 70's or 80's, have sufficient income to cover the Baht 65,000 a month but can't or won't put Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank account, maybe own your own condo and have already lived here for many years ...going back "home" really means abandoning your actual home here to return to what?

Probably a good time for everyone to steer clear of walking beneath any balconies. You could get flattened by some elderly expat who has a different idea of what "going home" means.

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I’m a bit confused ( quite easy these days)

As a Brit I have to provide printed out copies of bank statements- I suppose you could forge them - but not so easy.

Is it an urban myth - if you are American- you just go along and swear some oath in front  of your flag and say - yes my income is $3000 a month or whatever . 

Then hey presto- the income letter appears .

Please tell me that is an urban myth. 

No, it's true. To get the U.S. document (still issued for now) you just swear you are telling the truth. They don't even want to see documentation and won't look at it if you bring it.

Cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

The British Embassy made a pigs ear of presenting this to the public but are nonetheless vindicated by this announcement.

"The British Embassy made a pigs ear of presenting this...".

What?  How did the British Embassy make a pig's ear of it?  All it did was make the announcement that has now also been made by the US Embassy.  How is the US Embassy's announcement not a "pig's ear"?

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

That's a good question....We're gone 3 months a year = and they happen to be the 3 months right before annual renewal .....Typically, we're back 5-10 days before renewing.....Stuck in that time slot due to school schedule.....

I'm in the same boat. I come and go. This year I will be here for about 4 months. I am hoping they will let me show proof of SS + verified pension from another source. Wait and see. But, I am not holding my breath.

9 minutes ago, MikeOKitches said:

How are they screwed? ????They can still get an Income Affidavit notarized NOW, and it's still good for 6 months after issuance. It's all in black and white (see attachment). If they get it next month November 2018, it'll be good until April 2019. People who have to renew in January and February 2019 will still be covered. 

From what I understand if you get your Embassy Letter 30 Nov 18- it is good to the date of application- 6 months later- which would be 30 May 2019 but  you can make your application at least 30 days  days earlier than the end of your extension. So if your extension is due 30 June- the letter is still good for you since 30 May 2019 would be 6 months.

11 minutes ago, puyaidon said:

Did anyone notice that this came out on the last Friday of the month when the embassy is closed so no one can get any info until next week?  If they don't want to give us some help, I will be dispatching about 300 messages to any Congressional Representatives as well as Senators showing the lack of assistance they provide us.  I wonder if they understand how much money for the notary stamp they will lose.  Or do they even care?  Maybe one also to President Trump to drain the swamp we have here in Thailand in the embassy.

Once again, laying the blame on the embassy for withdrawing the letter.  It's about what the Thai authorities require.  Not what the embassies will supply!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

The money in my US accounts is available worldwide through my ATM card. Not the same as leaving with 800,000 Baht.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good point....The card I have for BKK bank is only good for ATM withdrawls here - not in the US.....But, it is the only bank you can tie in a with a deposit from the US......

Damned if you do, damned if you don't......

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the Brits and Yanks should consider applying for Australian citizenship. Why not, you would be more welcome than some other immigrants.

The Australian system is different. It's a Statutory Declaration, and there are criminal penalties including jail for anyone making a false declaration. I don't know if Thai Immigration is taking account of this difference. Wait and see.

Exactly the same as the US system, notice of discontinuation of which has just been given.

It was always odd that the UK embassy seemed to be the odd one out when their release came out earlier this month, and with hindsight they were only the first of what is highly likely to be many, including Australia.   Though maybe not appreciated at the time, the UK Embassy was giving as much fore warning as possible, including publishing the final date for issuing letters (12 December 2018).

Until Thai Immigration update their definitive requirements for what will be accepted as proof of income whether frequency and source of transfers and how to use the 'combined method', everything posted here is pure conjecture in spite of previously reliable and sound advice from certain posters.

• Like 2