Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

18 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

how will they know your Social Security statement is correct? you should ask the embassy if they will do any legwork along those lines. 

let us know what they say.

I beleive you can get certified copies from the Soc Sec administration. Regardless I dont beleive that the Consulate can refuse to notarize an affidavit of fact from you. But its academic at this time until we know what Thais will require. But I bet folks can be expecting visits from Immigration ????

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I beleive you can get certified copies from the Soc Sec administration. Regardless I dont beleive that the Consulate can refuse to notarize an affidavit of fact from you. But its academic at this time until we know what Thais will require. But I bet folks can be expecting visits from Immigration ????

Thats all they had been doing, they stamped a affidavit that you swore to be accurate. Thai immigration accepted it for many years even though they knew the embassy did not verify the amount

48 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Pay an agent to sort it out for you. I know far more people who do it that way than I know people who either deposit the cash or get income letters.

Next step from B.J. immigration ….. send th "agents " out of offices …?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

" money pooling " could help some who has 2-3 trusted friends , like the agents game ,only must use the 3 months seasoning time intact  ????

ther you go already making the 800,000 deposit a scam and now you will have to prove the money came from abroad

7 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Thats all they had been doing, they stamped a affidavit that you swore to be accurate. Thai immigration accepted it for many years even though they knew the embassy did not verify the amount

No its different:

"I, state your name, hereby swear that the attached certified Social Security Staement is a true and exact copy of the SS Statement sent to me by the US Government SS Admin and that the amounts reflected therein are the amounts I receive from the US SS Admin, blah blah blah."

You can get certified copies from SS. 

• Like 1

For the 65,000 monthly income minimum...

does this have to be deposited into one single account, on the same day each month, over how many months?

and, how does "proof" of a combination method get satisfied? Can you have 400,000 in an account (for 90 days), and then deposit another ~ 33,000 each month, into the same account? over how many months (3?, 6? 12?).

I assume Immigration will only be accepting bank book(s) w/same-day bank certification letters, and not foreign pension/income/tax documents?

• Like 2

Just now, Nyezhov said:

No its different:

"I, state your name, hereby swear that the attached certified Social Security Staement is a true and exact copy of the SS Statement sent to me by the US Government SS Admin and that the amounts reflected therein are the amounts I receive from the US SS Admin, blah blah blah."

You can get certified copies from SS. 

Yes, SS will let you get a copy of your benefits. All the country's I have looked into getting a retirement visa from,  require this.

If the Thai immigration only wants money in the bank. Then it is pretty clear where this is coming from. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They are not allowed by law to verify anything at a US embassy.

OK, but couldn't they issue a document saying something like -- Joe Blow has presented us with a letter from Social Security stating his current U.S. government Social Security pension income of $xxxx per month. Joe Blow swears under penalty of (?) that it is a valid document truthfully and accurately stating his income from the U.S. government Social Security pension program.

Military pensions too of course.

I'm suggesting that with this idea they would not issue documents for any other kind of income. As the U.S. government issuing a document about U.S. government pensions carries more credibility even if they don't literally validate the income. 

At the very least, couldn't the U.S. embassy officials ASK Thai immigration if they would accept such a document for their U.S. government pension recipients? That is, if they really want to help at least some of our citizens here. (That may be too generous an assumption.) 

It's implied that if people have this evidence of their U.S. government pensions to show to the embassy that they would have the same evidence to present to Thai immigration on request.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, garyk said:

Over 100 billion baht just dropped into the laps of the Thai banking system.

Pretty good payday IMO.

I doubt it even reach 1/10 of this amount.

How did you estimate the number of UK&US expats who used the income letter option ??

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

For the 65,000 monthly income minimum...

does this have to be deposited into one single account, on the same day each month, over how many months?

and, how does "proof" of a combination method get satisfied? Can you have 400,000 in an account (for 90 days), and then deposit another ~ 33,000 each month, into the same account? over how many months (3?, 6? 12?).

I assume Immigration will only be accepting bank book(s) w/same-day bank certification letters, and not foreign pension/income/tax documents?

Not without the letter. With no letter, no combination method.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Well it doesn’t say I can’t still get one at the consular outreach in Phuket in November so will do so as planned. My pension is well over the required income amount it’s up to Thailand to explain what proof they will want of that moving forward but my pension company simply offers letters stating that fact not leather bound presidential decrees signed in blood and sealed with the Whitehouse crest. Knowing Thailand they will want just that.

Yes, I have three sources of retirement income. Social Security and Pension have fairly believable printed evidence, but the third source I can only verify with print outs from their website. They are pretty much paperless now.

I do have Thai bank book verification of money brought in which averages more than Baht 65,000 a month, but from one month to another it varies since I usually bring in what I assume will be needed for the next month.

I hope they clarify the combination method. Hopefully if you put Baht 200,000 in a Thai bank and have easily verifiable monthly income/deposits of Baht 600,000/12 = > Baht 50,000 a month that will suffice.

Not really sure how they calculate the combination method since 12 x 65,000 is Baht 780,000, not Baht 800,000. I realize the difference between the two is negligible, but curious about the way they decide what monthly income is required if a balance in a Thai bank is part of the equation.

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Lovely.  My retirement extension is up for renewal mid-January, so it's now too late to have the B800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank for 90 days.  What the heck am I supposed to do?

You can still get the letter until the end of the year

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I doubt it even reach 1/10 of this amount.

How did you estimate the number of UK&US expats who used the income letter option ??

125,000 total U.S. + U.K expats x 800,000 = 100 billion baht?

Just speculation on my part but I would bet 95-98% used the letter. It was required, and anyone that actually put 800K in a Thai bank just for that purpose would be ignorant IMO.

Edited by garyk
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Lovely.  My retirement extension is up for renewal mid-January, so it's now too late to have the B800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank for 90 days.  What the heck am I supposed to do?

You should still be able to get the income letter now. If the renewal date is mid-January you should be able to do the renewal before the end of this year.