Visa run with an expired visa

What do you mean by your visa has expired? Once you are in the country your visas expiration date means nothing.

If you are actually stating your permit to stay in the country has ended then you will have to pay a fine of 500 baht per day for overstaying.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, glee said:

OK. Thanks.

But can I still do the visa run, pay the overstaying fee and get back to Bangkok?

Rgds.

I take it you have a 30 day stamp, ie a visa exempt entry, and you have stayed longer than the 30 days.

'If' that is the case and with all the people being arrested for no visa/expired visa etc I would book a cheap return out of Thailand to KL and back the same day.

Carry 20,000 baht, a plane ticket out within 30 days and a booking showing where you are going to stay.

Be prepared to pay 500 baht a day for every day you have overstayed and a few questions when you come back.

If you go to a land border and there might be some checks on the way you stand a good chance of being arrested fined and maybe blacklisted for a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glee said:

My visa has been expired for 1 week. Can I still make a visa run (cambodia, vietnam or laos) to extend my visa?

And are there any charges or fess I need to pay?

It just amazes me that people still don't have any clues about  visa exempt entry, visa and permission of stay but wants to do border run. I wonder why?

1. A single entry visa expires as soon as you enter the country.

2. And expired visa (single or multiple entry) cannot be used to enter the country.

3. You can enter the country either with a valid visa, visa exempt (passport dependent) , or visa on arrival (passport dependent).

4. If you over stay your permission of stay, you pay a fine per day of overstay.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

It just amazes me that people still don't have any clues about  visa exempt entry, visa and permission of stay but wants to do border run. I wonder why?

1. A single entry visa expires as soon as you enter the country.

2. And expired visa (single or multiple entry) cannot be used to enter the country.

3. You can enter the country either with a valid visa, visa exempt (passport dependent) , or visa on arrival (passport dependent).

4. If you over stay your permission of stay, you pay a fine per day of overstay.

and risk being arrested, fined and blacklisted if caught on overstay.

The visa has a specific period of validity i.e. 30 days, 60 days, 6 months, 1 year, etc. If you have gone past the expiration date on the period of validity (marked on your visa), you are on overstay and subject to penalties of fines, imprisonment, expulsion and possibly black listing. 

• Sad 1

Just now, thaikahuna said:

The visa has a specific period of validity i.e. 30 days, 60 days, 6 months, 1 year, etc. If you have gone past the expiration date on the period of validity (marked on your visa), you are on overstay and subject to penalties of fines, imprisonment, expulsion and possibly black listing. 

Visa validity has nothing to do with overstay.

It's permission to stay that you get when entering or extension of stay that you receive at immigration that matters.

My latest visa exiped 10 years ago

• Like 1

With any overstay, it is best to leave by air. There will be a fine of 500 baht for each day you have overstayed. After an overstay, it is best to return with an actual visa, rather than relying on a visa exempt entry. A good solution may be to fly to Vientiane, and get a tourist visa there to use to return to Thailand (which can very safely be done by land via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai).

If wanting to live dangerously, and the overstay is just a few days, you can travel to a land border crossing, leave Thailand there, and return for a 30-day visa exempt entry (assuming you are from a country that is eligible for visa exempt entry). If doing this, under no circumstances leave or re-enter Thailand via the crossing at Aran/Poipet. Also, as others have mentioned, it is conceivable you could be stopped at a road block for a passport check, and be given grief based on the overstay. In addition to the normal fine for the overstay, this might involve you in bribes to avoid arrest.

• Like 1

Be aware, I have done two border bounces using a METV. On both occasions, the van was stopped and everyone's passport/visa page was checked. I would not risk a van ride to the border with an expired visa. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

Be aware, I have done two border bounces using a METV. On both occasions, the van was stopped and everyone's passport/visa page was checked. I would not risk a van ride to the border with an expired visa. 

I answered thanks because no-one believes me when I say to them.

One year ago, no problem, nowadays??????