Anti-military dictatorship rap song tops iTunes downloads in Thailand

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I didn't know it was needed .I do know that theirs an overwhelming number of tourist entering Thailand.

Really ?  That is what you think?  Overwhelming ?

"In 2017 the number of tourists visiting Thailand went up to 35 millions."

"About 72 million people visited Orlando in 2017"

One city with a population of under 2 million does double the amount of tourism than Thailand ....

You are a far greater man than Prayuth, as you will debate and argue. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Its not whether I've been or not. You made a statement, is it from experience or something you have read.

That was not me.  That was a different poster.

I live in China and have business in Thailand.  The Chinese have more access to prosperity than the average Thai, and Prayuth will not take Thailand in a competitive direction. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I didn't know it was needed .I do know that theirs an overwhelming number of tourist entering Thailand.

Still waiting to hear from your good self why the military is there in the first place...

• Like 2

Well, to my mind, for the police to even think about charging the rapper has other ramifications. What is stop from investigating any artist that sings love, folk and other types of song, by simply suggesting the content offends someone. Oh boy, another one in the teeth for freedom of speech.

18 minutes ago, Denim said:

The prime minister must be thinking :

Ok.....I've read the lyrics, but don't forget that Thaksin ......bla bla bla.

This rap is going to be a real headache for the junta. It is saying what almost everyone is thinking, even the fools who at first supported the coup.

A heavy handed reaction will backfire whereas no reaction might encourage more dissent.

Still.....they do still have guns and history has shown what happens when they take the kid gloves off.

Question is .....would they still dare to resort to such extreme methods with their star so obviously on the wane.

The easiest way out of it is to call an election post haste, not interfere in it, go home and keep their heads down. But of course their - ahem - love of country and devotion to duty won't allow that.

Going by their track record, doubling down on arrests and threats is their most likely course of action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

The easiest way out of it is to call an election post haste, not interfere in it, go home and keep their heads down. But of course their - ahem - love of country and devotion to duty won't allow that.

Going by their track record, doubling down on arrests and threats is their most likely course of action. 

The election will be there in februari and it will not solve a thing mr Baboon. As long a so much money can be made from corruption in goverment people will kill to get into power. 

Until someone is serious about cleaning up corruption this will keep happening. The root of the problem is corruption, or actually the money that can be made from corruption when in power.

So how is it going to solve anything to have an election because the losers or losing money and will do whatever they need to come to power. The winners will be corrupt and in good Thai style will not listen to anyone (just like the junta now and YL in the past) resentment will build and the next round of violence will break out.

Take away the money and nothing like this will happen again. So only until Thailand can find some honest men who want the COUNTRY to benefit nothing will change. The old parties and junta have failed but in all likely hood will be back to do exactly the same again.

45 minutes ago, Percy P said:

You sure about that? Right now I am visiting Pattaya for the first time in about 6 years. Amazed at how quiet it is. So many boarded up businesses.

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

The election will be there in februari and it will not solve a thing mr Baboon. As long a so much money can be made from corruption in goverment people will kill to get into power. 

Until someone is serious about cleaning up corruption this will keep happening. The root of the problem is corruption, or actually the money that can be made from corruption when in power.

So how is it going to solve anything to have an election because the losers or losing money and will do whatever they need to come to power. The winners will be corrupt and in good Thai style will not listen to anyone (just like the junta now and YL in the past) resentment will build and the next round of violence will break out.

Take away the money and nothing like this will happen again. So only until Thailand can find some honest men who want the COUNTRY to benefit nothing will change. The old parties and junta have failed but in all likely hood will be back to do exactly the same again.

My point about elections was related to the current mob's political survival / legacy / future plans. Given that they are currently about as popular as a pork pie in a synagogue, the sensible thing to do would be to call it quits for the time being. Their men of the people makeover just isn't working as they quickly revert to type as soon as anything upsets them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its funny to see how they react to negative news.. trying to suppress it counter it and by doing so make more people hate them. 

Exactly.

The mind boggles thinking about how they / their party would cope after any election and an even slightly more level playing field - "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" springs to mind...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nanglong218 said:

While I'm back in the safe haven of Melbourne I listened to the subtitled song and cheered. This morning I asked my Thai stepchildren (age 30 and 27) for their views.  Yes, OK they said, mild approval.  Sheer apathy in my view, too busy enjoying the good life. Have no opinion, get in no trouble.  

Sadly , your experience there reflects what I see here. 

There are a few who feel strongly about the political scenario but there are a lot more who are apathetic and are too busy making ends meet to get involved beyond giving nodding approval. If it were otherwise the junta could not have gotten this far.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baboon said:

Exactly.

The mind boggles thinking about how they / their party would cope after any election and an even slightly more level playing field - "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" springs to mind...

Its a Thai politician / junta thing. The thing i hate most is when someone is in power and suddenly thinks we should believe what they are saying even when there is loads of evidence pointing the other way. Its as if when they get power they seem to think they can get away with everything. You see it often in HiSo incidents. 

And yes Prayut is worse of all.. but they all seem to have this trait.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its a Thai politician / junta thing. The thing i hate most is when someone is in power and suddenly thinks we should believe what they are saying even when there is loads of evidence pointing the other way. Its as if when they get power they seem to think they can get away with everything. You see it often in HiSo incidents. 

It's a bloody Thai wife thing as well. Believe me...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

They never been questioned in their entire life. 

It begins (at least here in the village schools) with the inability of anyone in authority (eg primary/elementary school teachers) to cope with QUESTIONS. A question calls into question the authority figure's skills, leadership, clarity, intelligence ... How DARE you ask a question, you vile child! Get out of my class!

My b/f displays the same attitude on a daily basis. You talk too much . Cleate ploblem.

Rote learning has a lot to answer for. I remember an Indonesian PhD student in engineering at one of the Queensland universities. He commented in the media that the hardest thing for him in going to Australia for his doctorate was learning to think for himself. This had never been taught or encouraged before.

• Like 1

So glad TV1 today morning show had the rap topic for a worthy lengthy time and played snippets of the song. I think they even had the rappers in the studio for an interview. Appropriately Suthep walk around followed and got a brief mention. Quite pathetic to see him with so little support.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Appropriately Suthep walk around followed and got a brief mention. Quite pathetic to see him with so little support.

Quite a relief actually.  IF this song is any indication of the true feelings of the country,  pro junta parties may start seeing defections.   The little general might get wery angwee like his doppelganger, Elmer Fudd.  Massive loss of face if little loses in a landslide

• Like 2

This is getting a lot of traction it seems, I have just watched it go from 12.5m to 12.7m in the last 20 minutes.

The English subtitles are a bit iffy but there is some scathing commentary in the lyrics.

Of course, there is a mountain of quality material on the current ‘government’, if anyone has the balls to say anything. 

These guys clearly do. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hobz said:

Freedom doesn't come free... There needs to be martyrs.

Freedom does come free, and everyone has its general form; what they seem to want is a particular kind of freedom called "Liberty", which hasn't been attained yet anywhere, including in western "democracies".

Liberty can't and doesn't exist anywhere controlled by an armed gang that coerces 100% of its livelihood from those who are not its members, and live on a territory it claims to be within its monopoly control.

For example, all have the freedom not to pay those gangs the extortion money called "taxes", but no one has the liberty to do that;

all have the freedom to travel about the world without the permission of those gangs and absurd, contrived concepts, such as "passport", "visa", "overstay", but no one has the liberty to do that.

"Martyrs" only happen because most don't know the fundamental facts above.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, realfunster said:

This is getting a lot of traction it seems, I have just watched it go from 12.5m to 12.7m in the last 20 minutes.

The English subtitles are a bit iffy but there is some scathing commentary in the lyrics.

Of course, there is a mountain of quality material on the current ‘government’, if anyone has the balls to say anything. 

These guys clearly do. 

It is bigger than Gangnam Style which only hit 500,000 uploads on the 1st day. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Rappers don't care.

Damn right. Rappers will hold a anti-coup concert next month in Thammasat U, site of the 76’ lynching. Called BNK 44, a satirical dig. Previous concerts like in May “4 years you MF” which was abruptly raided and stopped. No stopping these young guys. They seem more motivated than before. 

• Like 2