Penang Tourist Visa

4 hours ago, sfokevin said:

If you are trying to look like a “tourist” I don’t think a showing a lease on a flat in Bangkok is the way to go... :coffee1:

Why?

Many embassies and consulate even have it shown on their website as an option for the proof of accommodations.; Not all tourists stay in hotels and etc.

• Like 1

I went a month ago and was woken up by the agent who was at the embassy saying they thought my rental agreement was fake because it didnt include the owners id. I stay in a place that has both rooms and houses so not rented out privately. Also a ticked to your home country was required, this can be "sorted" out though. My rental thing was eventually "sorted" as well.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mosquitotweeter said:

Is it possible to say you will be staying with a friend for the duration of the visa?  Can you provide a letter from said friend and does anybody have an example of one that has worked?

If it were me, I'd do an online booking (free) with a guesthouse or hotel, rather than try something unknown - unless someone can post a recent success-story at the Penang-consulate using such a letter, with a supplied-template.

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If it were me, I'd do an online booking (free) with a guesthouse or hotel, rather than try something unknown - unless someone can post a recent success-story at the Penang-consulate using such a letter, with a supplied-template.

Went there in May.

I called to the embassy and they said ok with an invitation letter.

So I wrote one in Thai language for my partner.

The letter was directly attention to the embassy saying the purpose of his travel as a tourist and showing dates, duration of staying and my apartment address which is the place of staying. I also mentioned he will leave the country by the date of permission (within 60 days since I didn't want to have any issues with the extension which we did it later anyway) plus enclosed a copy of my Thai ID card with certified true copy. 

There is no supplied-template for the letter, but if your person is Thai, he/she should know how to type a proper one for a government body. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Do you have to show proof of income for a standard tourist visa in Penang?

I do not think any consulates ask for proof of income for a tourist visa. They could, theoretically, ask to see a recent bank statement showing a current balance of some amount (possibly 20,000 or 30,000 baht equivalent). Historically, Penang have not asked for this.

2 hours ago, alocmrlj said:

I have 3 overstays in my passport... 1day,3day,1day. Would that mean my visa application gets automatically denied? 

According to reports,yes.

Better contact an agent before traveling there to see if they can fix it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:49 AM, BritTim said:

I do not think any consulates ask for proof of income for a tourist visa. They could, theoretically, ask to see a recent bank statement showing a current balance of some amount (possibly 20,000 or 30,000 baht equivalent). Historically, Penang have not asked for this.

Went there in May 2018. They asked to see a bank statement for a tourist visa.