Work permit

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a work permit that expires March 31, 2019. I quit my last teaching job last term and was told to just hold onto my work permit (which doesn’t sound right but hey, this is Thailand). I will be teaching at another school this coming term. Could anyone advise me what I have to do about my work permit?

thanks in advance

It seems you mean if your work permit has a date from next year and no big stamp "expired" it is not expired.

Wrong!

If you don't work there anymore than your work permit is expired and a visa which is connected to that work permit is not valid anymore.

It does not mean you will get into trouble but you could get into trouble so better think twice about who you tell and what you do.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, joninisaan said:

Thanks for the response OneMoreFarang. Would you know if I need to give it back to the government office I got it from or I can just hold on to it? Of course not try to use it anymore though.

I don't think you have to give it back.

I don't know the details.

But I know a guy who stopped working and he though he still had a valid business visa. Until immigration told him that was wrong.

I think in that case it was only two weeks or so and he sorted it out.

But I think it's a good idea for you to ask an expert for advise - I wouldn't rely on TV members telling you: don't worry...

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't work there anymore than your work permit is expired and a visa which is connected to that work permit is not valid anymore.

A visa or a permission to stay based on a visa entry would not become invalid.

An extension of stay does end when the reason for it ends.

Visas and extensions of stay are not the same and in cases like this there are important differences.

Don't know what visa you're on but you may well be on an overstay. A Non-b is only good for the term of your contract. Work permit which I think would also become void might be the least of your concerns.????

Edited by dinsdale

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

A visa or a permission to stay based on a visa entry would not become invalid.

An extension of stay does end when the reason for it ends.

Visas and extensions of stay are not the same and in cases like this there are important differences.

Thanks for your response. I’m here with a Non “O” so No worries with my visa.

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think you have to give it back.

I don't know the details.

But I know a guy who stopped working and he though he still had a valid business visa. Until immigration told him that was wrong.

I think in that case it was only two weeks or so and he sorted it out.

But I think it's a good idea for you to ask an expert for advise - I wouldn't rely on TV members telling you: don't worry...

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Don't know what visa you're on but you may well be on an overstay. A Non-b is only good for the term of your contract. Work permit which I think would also become void might be the least of your concerns.????

Thanks Dinsdale. I’m on a Non “O” so no worries in that.

• Thanks 1