Dental experience - bridge or implants

dennis123

Just want to share my latest dental experience after I created another topic on this.

Implants cost on average 50,000 baht/implant in Thailand and you often need four of them (on top or bottom) as when you only have two there is room for it to move. So the total price would come down to 200,000+ baht (4 implants + extra costs for the denture).

The dentist I went to due to missing most of my back molars, suggested two bridges, left and right, at a total cost of 80,000 baht, though I decided to do only one side for 40k baht, and on the other side I had the last back molar pulled as it's broken on all sides and already had multiple fill-ups and will put a crown on the last molar in the front.

So now I'm missing all my wisdom teeth and 2 back molars on each side, leaving me with my front teeth, corner molars and one back molar, just enough to be able to eat I guess.

Afterward, I started to think about the total costs, although it's more natural I have less chewing power, and there's no guarantee that I'm done as I still have my original front teeth that might need work in the future, and who knows what can go wrong, a crown that breaks off or something.

Then I started to compare this to prices in India where implants cost $400-$500 a piece so for approx $2000-2500 I could get 4 implants + a denture and be done for life, for almost the same price as if I went for two bridges.

If my upper teeth start to hurt, a lot of decay there as well though in better shape then the bottom, with hardly any molars missing, I think I'll just get it all pulled with a denture on 4 and be done with it as it starts to feel like a never-ending battle.

Just want to share my latest dental experience after I created another topic on this.

Implants cost on average 50,000 baht/implant in Thailand and you often need four of them (on top or bottom) as when you only have two there is room for it to move. So the total price would come down to 200,000+ baht (4 implants + extra costs for the denture).

The dentist I went to due to missing most of my back molars, suggested two bridges, left and right, at a total cost of 80,000 baht, though I decided to do only one side for 40k baht, and on the other side I had the last back molar pulled as it's broken on all sides and already had multiple fill-ups and will put a crown on the last molar in the front.

So now I'm missing all my wisdom teeth and 2 back molars on each side, leaving me with my front teeth, corner molars and one back molar, just enough to be able to eat I guess.

Afterward, I started to think about the total costs, although it's more natural I have less chewing power, and there's no guarantee that I'm done as I still have my original front teeth that might need work in the future, and who knows what can go wrong, a crown that breaks off or something.

Then I started to compare this to prices in India where implants cost $400-$500 a piece so for approx $2000-2500 I could get 4 implants + a denture and be done for life, for almost the same price as if I went for two bridges.

If my upper teeth start to hurt, a lot of decay there as well though in better shape then the bottom, with hardly any molars missing, I think I'll just get it all pulled with a denture on 4 and be done with it as it starts to feel like a never-ending battle.

Why don't you get the top lot out and have the all on four system done, only four implants are needed to anchor the full top set and they look tremendous, save any future worries.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Why don't you get the top lot out and have the all on four system done, only four implants are needed to anchor the full top set and they look tremendous, save any future worries.

Had 2 bridges done 5-6 years ago, had to fix them and couple times in between until recently they were to be removed due too cracks, broken edges and discomfort. Went to a local dentist and they suggested implants, a set of 2 if made local costs 40,000 if imported it costs 60,000, decide to do the local, same quality as the imported ones but lees costly because no taxes (at least that's what the dentists said), it's much better than a bridge, more expensive but better feeling, chewing easy, didn't know about the India price, that's interesting, if quality it's good and safe maybe would consider for the next set, do you have any details on the India price and work to be done, here have to wait 3 months for the final teeth and during that waiting time have to visit the dentist, check up, 2-3 times, if India is the same thus have to consider to travel there a couple extra times thus adding to the costs, appreciate your feed back

Edited by Mavideol

Just now, Mavideol said:

Had 2 bridges done 5-6 years ago, had to fix them and couple times in between until recently they were to be removed due too cracks, broken edges and discomfort. Went to a local dentist and they suggested implants, a set of 2 if made local costs 40,000 if imported it costs 60,000, decide to do the local, same quality as the imported ones but lees costly because no taxes (at least that's what the dentists said), it's much better than a bridge, more expensive but better feeling, chewing easy, didn't know about the India price, that's interesting, if quality it's good and safe maybe would consider for the next set, do you have any details on the India price and work to be done, here have to wait 3 months for the final teeth and during that waiting time have to visit the dentist, check up, 2-3 times, if India is the same thus have to consider to travel there a couple extra times thus adding to the costs, appreciate your feed back

was trying to quote Dennis123, sorry for the mistake

36 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Yeah I think I'll do that but so far so good, as long as it doesn't hurt much I rather keep them for now, plus the costs of course, would be better to wait a little.

23 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

40,000/piece or for the two? If for the two that's pretty cheap.

Today I was browsing around and found a dentist in Pattaya on Facebook that does implants for 22,500 baht/implant (crown included), while my local dentist here on the darkside charges 50,000 baht/implant.

Here is the link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DioDentalPattaya/

I've Googled around a lot about dentists in India so nothing specific but it appears it's all around the price class that I quoted, and it definitely shouldn't take months, max a few weeks so if I were to go there, most likely Kolkata / Calcutta as that's the nearest I'd probably find a cheap hotel for a few weeks instead of going back & forth.

But as said, now that I saw this dentist in Pattaya that charges 22,500/implant I think I'll pay him a visit to enquire about the total costs as I have no idea how much they charge for the actual teeth if I need all replaced. You'd think he provide a healthy discount per implant due to no single crowns needed, and then an extra price for the whole teeth structure that can be clicked on. That's what none of those sites really mention.

1 minute ago, dennis123 said:

40,000/piece or for the two? If for the two that's pretty cheap.

Today I was browsing around and found a dentist in Pattaya on Facebook that does implants for 22,500 baht/implant (crown included), while my local dentist here on the darkside charges 50,000 baht/implant.

Here is the link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DioDentalPattaya/

I've Googled around a lot about dentists in India so nothing specific but it appears it's all around the price class that I quoted, and it definitely shouldn't take months, max a few weeks so if I were to go there, most likely Kolkata / Calcutta as that's the nearest I'd probably find a cheap hotel for a few weeks instead of going back & forth.

But as said, now that I saw this dentist in Pattaya that charges 22,500/implant I think I'll pay him a visit to enquire about the total costs as I have no idea how much they charge for the actual teeth if I need all replaced. You'd think he provide a healthy discount per implant due to no single crowns needed, and then an extra price for the whole teeth structure that can be clicked on. That's what none of those sites really mention.

Do you know the procedure? first they drill the bone and insert the screw base, after that you have to wait for 3 months for the healing process and once all is well and safe then they will add the screws and a different dentist will add the implant. I paid 40,000 for 2 (molars) teeth (20,000 one tooth) and did it in Krabi, if you live near Pattaya the price you indicated appears good, would prefer to do it locally than going back and forth to India, it's a long process if no complications, one of my friends did 4 implants 12 years ago and it took him almost 2 years to complete the process, he had some bone calcification problems, thus longer healing time

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Do you know the procedure? first they drill the bone and insert the screw base, after that you have to wait for 3 months for the healing process and once all is well and safe then they will add the screws and a different dentist will add the implant. I paid 40,000 for 2 (molars) teeth (20,000 one tooth) and did it in Krabi, if you live near Pattaya the price you indicated appears good, would prefer to do it locally than going back and forth to India, it's a long process if no complications, one of my friends did 4 implants 12 years ago and it took him almost 2 years to complete the process, he had some bone calcification problems, thus longer healing time

I viewed a video where it's done the way you explained but I've read plenty of stuff where people had it done in a matter of weeks and sometimes the same day.

Drill the screw in, put the crown on it, DONE, it doesn't look all that complicated lol.

I mean, why can't it heal with a crown on top....

Edited by dennis123

There is something called mini implants, let me quote an article:

In another technique, implants and healing caps are placed at the same time. If the dentist is using mini implants, he or she will place them as well as the crown, bridge or denture at the same visit. A one-stage procedure is now used sometimes for implants. In this procedure, your dentist can place the implants, abutments and a temporary crown or bridge all in one visit.

2 hours ago, dennis123 said:

I viewed a video where it's done the way you explained but I've read plenty of stuff where people had it done in a matter of weeks and sometimes the same day.

Drill the screw in, put the crown on it, DONE, it doesn't look all that complicated lol.

I did asked my dentist why it would take 3 months, answer.... it's a standard time on this type of procedure, maybe you are correct about the same day procedure, but in Krabi there's not much of a choice, you do half a job at one place for 40,000 and the other half (place the implants) at the relative or good friend and give another 40,000

3 hours ago, dennis123 said:

Those are so-called instant implants. My dentist in Europe advised me to avoid them at any cost.

Personally I have four implants, each with one crown. Each cost 40,000B and there was no disruption to the surrounding teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

in Krabi there's not much of a choice, you do half a job at one place for 40,000 and the other half (place the implants) at the relative or good friend and give another 40,000

? Sounds like complete nonsense to me.

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Went to a local dentist and they suggested implants, a set of 2 if made local costs 40,000 if imported it costs 60,000, decide to do the local, same quality as the imported ones but lees costly because no taxes (at least that's what the dentists said),

I have never heard of locally-made implants. Is your dentist actually qualified in anything?

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

? Sounds like complete nonsense to me.

I have never heard of locally-made implants. Is your dentist actually qualified in anything?

He did said ""local"" and no tax, now that you mentioned it, I will check the place of origin

I had two about 7 years ago , theyve been great but I had them done in the Uk buy a guy who had "experience", I would make that your priority, Ill replace  all mine as/if they fall out with implants.

Upper   molars are often harder to do as not a lot of bone to fasten into may need sinus  lift bone graft, = more expensive.

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Almost the same as my UK dentist and he recommended the "not fast" method like you state, these ones who promise all done in a day Id  steer well clear of, a  lot of bodge jobs out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I had two about 7 years ago , theyve been great but I had them done in the Uk buy a guy who had "experience", I would make that your priority, Ill replace  all mine as/if they fall out with implants.

Upper   molars are often harder to do as not a lot of bone to fasten into may need sinus  lift bone graft, = more expensive.

thks, you are correct, the top ones are harder and more complicated to do, was lucky enough as mine were the down ones,