Landlord doesnot want to file TM 30 or give his docs so I can file. What to do?

5 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

Right now it seems like they go quite hard on the landlords that refuse or simply do not report foreigners staying at their place.

In your case, I would take a trip to my Immigration office and explain the problem to them.

My Immigration office lets me report by myself, becuase they believe it´s better to have the information than not get it.

Ok I will go to immigration and see what they have to say. Hopefully i can file it.

but this looks to be a big headache as I travel a lot, so everytime I will have to file TM 30.

regards

Also If anyone had similar experience or any advise plz reply.

2 minutes ago, MonsterInsideMe said:

Ok I will go to immigration and see what they have to say. Hopefully i can file it.

but this looks to be a big headache as I travel a lot, so everytime I will have to file TM 30.

regards

Also If anyone had similar experience or any advise plz reply.

I also move a lot, but everytime I come back it has been easier to file the TM30. For me it was only the first time they wanted to have a little bit of papers as proof. The other times I don´t have to fill in anything. They just read my passport in the scanner and up it comes. They print out again and I sign. Hope it works like that in most places. Super easy!

Good Luck!

5 hours ago, MonsterInsideMe said:

I talked and explained to my landlord about filing TM 30 with local immigration office( at chaengwattana) but he refused and dont want to give his docs( his id copy, housebook copy).

So what are my options?

Can I go to immigration office and file the TM 30 by myself?

According to the Immigration Act, you can submit the TM.30 in your own name.

Section 4 defines you as the house-master, meaning the chief possessor of the residence in your capacity as tenant.

Section 38 requires the house-master (you) or the owner or the possessor (you) to report the arrival of foreigners at your residence.

However, some immigration offices want to see copies of documents from the lessor, ie the owner in your case, such as his ID card and/or his house registration book and/or his land title deed. If this is the case for your immigration office, you are still left in a quandary.

• Thanks 1

Actually, whether the landlord reports an alien tenant or not using the TM30 form is of no concern for the tenant. The tenant's reporting obligation is stipulated in Section 37.3 of the Immigration Act using form TM28.

" Section 37.3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty–four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty–four hours from the time of arrival."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, stgrhe said:

Actually, whether the landlord reports an alien tenant or not using the TM30 form is of no concern for the tenant. The tenant's reporting obligation is stipulated in Section 37.3 of the Immigration Act using form TM28.

Thankfully that is not largely enforced since in most cases immigration would have no way of knowing you had stayed somewhere else or moved. You would also find that most police stations will not have a clue about what a TM28 form is and tell you to take to the immigration office for the province where you are staying.

• Like 1

Friend of mine in Patti ya about a year ago had to end up moving homes and rent from a Thai person 

Officer wanted to see tax papers from foriegner. Obviously there are none so instead of punishing the non tax paying foreigner my friend was punished for doing nothing wrong. He was not given a visa renewal until he moved to a Thai owned rental.  What a cruel world. 

Although only know of this happening to one person.  I hope just a one off. Ultimately,  a housemaster, I.e renter should be able to report their own TM30. But as they say,  anything can happen on the day. 

Have a rippa day! 

1 hour ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Sorry if I'm confused... Do I need the TM-28 or TM-30? Thankfully our local immigration when I report back they tell me my visa has been stamped at the airport and dont bother with those form. However, the rules seem to change everytime we show up.

You can only go by what your immigration office tells you.

The TM28 is only needed if you change your address. The TM30 when you first arrive at your residence at many offices and they only want another one if you change your address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 11:23 AM, HappyAndRich said:

Right now it seems like they go quite hard on the landlords that refuse or simply do not report foreigners staying at their place.

In your case, I would take a trip to my Immigration office and explain the problem to them.

My Immigration office lets me report by myself, becuase they believe it´s better to have the information than not get it.

Yes and with some real policing fine that dirty landlord

• Like 1

I think that all you need is your lease with the landlord to get the TM 30

. Otherwise, you should go to the Thai Immigration TM 30 people (New building at old Airport location) and explain your issue with the landlord. I believe that actually, the landlord is responsible for getting the TM 30 for you from Thai Immigration although you can get it on your own if you wish.

Unless you have a need to visit your local immigration office (i.e. for 90 day reports, or for an extension - for retirement or marriage)  I wouldn't even bother to file a TM30 or 28.

OK, I know you're supposed to file (legally), but most tourists and short term visitors don't know about this requirement and if you're staying in a larger hotel then they do it for you anyway... but many of the smaller guesthouses don't.

If you are wanting to extend a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa for 30 more days, then most I/Os don't need a permanent address, and will usually accept a hotel receipt.

So you only really NEED to file a permanent address if you're needing to do 90 day reports, or if you are planning to extend your PtS for marriage or retirement.

Edited by steve73

13 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

...Chiang Mai would NOT let me file the TM30 on the landlords behalf.. But failed to go further as the landlord was some hi so bangkok judge who brushed them off on the phone and left them red faced and impotent..

You should have done it on your own behalf, being the house-master as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act

Why didn't you get those documents (ID card + House registration) from the landlord when you signed the lease and before you paid the deposit?

How do even know that the person who claims to be the landlord is in fact the actual owner of the property?

It's just comonsense. Seems a pretty easy scam to run on stupid foreigners and I've heard of a few cases where maids rent out properties belonging to overseas owners without their knowledge.

Edited by Time Traveller

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Exactly.. Chiang Mai would NOT let me file the TM30 on the landlords behalf.. But failed to go further as the landlord was some hi so bangkok judge who brushed them off on the phone and left them red faced and impotent. 

They then accepted to do a TM28 by me, partly because I made a pain in the ass of myself of going and reporting EVERY time I was away from home (almost weekly) with a smile until they said ok stop. 

I like this approach.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 8:25 PM, Maestro said:

You should have done it on your own behalf, being the house-master as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act

As I reported at the time.. 

Chiang mai would not allow 'me' to report a TM30 in any way.. Even though they would allow anyone the judge appointed to do it (My landlord when TM28/TM30s first came up lived in switzerland.. that baffled them) and joked it could be an agent, anyone the judge said so, even she joked it could be his mai noi.. I held firm and said 'ok you call him and get him to appoint someone.. Not my job' 

In short it, back then, it could be anyone in the world except me.. I had the contract in my name and they did eventually issue me a TM28, but they would not let me report my address. 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1