Temporary Move Decision

Hexkraut

I am standing in front of a decision here that I have to make fairly soon.

I will quit my good paying Engineering job (Engineering Advisor for a law firm) and move for 1 year to Thailand to make my Diving instructor and internship. The ED visa forms are already taken care of. I want to chill out for one year and live a more leisure life. Not sure how leisure it will be diving every day and being on the boat just about every day. Anybody that did this please share your experience from your expectation to how you liked it. Thanks

Now I have a one bedroom apartment and can not necessary sell everything like all my dress cloth for my job and certain furniture (nice shirts and suits or bedroom set). A I would not get much for it or nothing at all and I would have to re-purchase it when I come back.

I also have a nice fullsize truck that I'm not sure if I sell it (if I even find a buyer).

Anybody been in that situation before? Storage for the truck a 10'x25' cost US$150 per month plus a regular 10'x5' for some of my other belongings US$60/mo. So for the whole year I am looking at US$2520

I could save US$1800 by selling my truck (worth about 10K) if I can sell it that is. But when I come back I will have to find a vehicle in good condition again and until then will need a rental car which could run US$200 a week.

Any suggestions? Anybody did this before and how did you decide?

Used vehicles command a high price in Thailand....test the waters, you may get more than you think.

Determine the monetary value of your furniture and compare it to the storage price.

Try finding a friend or friend of a friend to store your clothes for a one time fee.

all my relatives live in Europe so no option of relatives. But I may ask some friends. Still can't decide if I sell my vehicle or store it for the time being. I won't be buying a vehicle in Thailand that's for sure. maybe a Moped if needed. I'll be on a island.

Used vehicles command a high price in Thailand....test the waters, you may get more than you think.

Determine the monetary value of your furniture and compare it to the storage price.

Try finding a friend or friend of a friend to store your clothes for a one time fee.

I read it that he's in the USA ppm and coming to LOS for a year then going back.

This is the same guy who just had a little gold digger, sorry girlfriend, chasing him around for gold and a new house for her folks.

Mai khaw chai.

Don't onderstand the questions hex, you seem to have all the figures just do the math (as you americans would say). Why not bundle all your belongings in the back of the truck and cut down the storage space? Okay if the truck is under cover but could/would be a problem if not.

When we moved over here we put our car in storage back home - I'd bought it from new and still wanted to keep it, figured I might as well keep making the payments. Been a good move, it's handy having a car when we go home to visit and as well as that, I won't have to re-purchase it (and pay again for all the off-the-showroom-floor depreciation) when we move back permanently.

When we moved over here we put our car in storage back home - I'd bought it from new and still wanted to keep it, figured I might as well keep making the payments. Been a good move, it's handy having a car when we go home to visit and as well as that, I won't have to re-purchase it (and pay again for all the off-the-showroom-floor depreciation) when we move back permanently.

yeah that's what I think. Although it may seem costly in the beginning to store everything, in the long run when returning it will be less hassle to get everything back.

I'll try to store everything in the truck as much as I can though. But couch set will have to go in storage maybe it fits on the side and I might just need one storage. Will have to see. Thanks for the responses.

And yes I am the same guy that had the "Gold digger" GF. :-)

I am standing in front of a decision here that I have to make fairly soon.

I will quit my good paying Engineering job (Engineering Advisor for a law firm) and move for 1 year to Thailand to make my Diving instructor and internship. The ED visa forms are already taken care of. I want to chill out for one year and live a more leisure life. Not sure how leisure it will be diving every day and being on the boat just about every day. Anybody that did this please share your experience from your expectation to how you liked it. Thanks

Now I have a one bedroom apartment and can not necessary sell everything like all my dress cloth for my job and certain furniture (nice shirts and suits or bedroom set). A I would not get much for it or nothing at all and I would have to re-purchase it when I come back.

I also have a nice fullsize truck that I'm not sure if I sell it (if I even find a buyer).

Anybody been in that situation before? Storage for the truck a 10'x25' cost US$150 per month plus a regular 10'x5' for some of my other belongings US$60/mo. So for the whole year I am looking at US$2520

I could save US$1800 by selling my truck (worth about 10K) if I can sell it that is. But when I come back I will have to find a vehicle in good condition again and until then will need a rental car which could run US$200 a week.

Any suggestions? Anybody did this before and how did you decide?

Must be possible to find somewhere on the countryside someone who has a place to lock it for a small amount of money.....

Like an farmer who gave up, but still has the big places.....