Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Obtaining a tourist visa - Penang, Kuala Lumpur or Vientiane

Hi all,

Wondering what is the easiest and worst place from Vientiane, Penang or Kuala Lumpur for applying for a Tourist Visa. I have 2 previous tourist visas from Vientiane, Laos this year, back to back.

I am guessing Laos, Vientiane is still the easiest, even with back-to-back visas, and Kualu Lumpur being the worst? Penang I guess is in the middle, as they do ask for proof of accommodation, flights etc?

Cheers.

Edited by Bountyhuntr

Vientiane is the only nearby location that does not ask for financial proof, accommodations and a ticket out of the country.

Savannakhet is good but you need the same proof as the others require.

Kuala Lumpur may be better than Penang now.

See this checklist. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/TR non list_kc (1) (3).pdf

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane is the only nearby location that does not ask for financial proof, accommodations and a ticket out of the country.

Savannakhet is good but you need the same proof as the others require.

Kuala Lumpur may be better than Penang now.

See this checklist. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/TR non list_kc (1) (3).pdf

I heard Kuala Lumpur was bad, so now it might be an option then. I can't remember but can you do 3 back-to-back tourist visas from Vientiane without an issue? I have the financial funds but rather not carry 20k around for Penang etc. 

2 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

I heard Kuala Lumpur was bad, so now it might be an option then. I can't remember but can you do 3 back-to-back tourist visas from Vientiane without an issue? I have the financial funds but rather not carry 20k around for Penang etc. 

Kl has improved. Before they would change the requirements from person to person. Since they posted the checklist it has gotten better.

To prove at least 20k baht for the visa it is a copy of a bank statement. They will not accept cash for proof.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Kl has improved. Before they would change the requirements from person to person. Since they posted the checklist it has gotten better.

To prove at least 20k baht for the visa it is a copy of a bank statement. They will not accept cash for proof.

Ok ty for info, 3 back-to-back Tourist Visas from Vientiane will get any red stamps / warnings or not?

Edited by Bountyhuntr

7 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

Ok ty for info, 3 back-to-back Tourist Visas from Vientiane will get any red stamps / warnings or not?

It is hard to predict for Vientiane. Some people have gotten a stamp for the third but I think they had a lot from other embassies and consulates.

I would say the 4th one is more risky.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

ubonjoe, i've got to go to savannakhet in 3 weeks' time but can only get my thai bank book updated (to show 20K proof of funds) today/tomorrow - i don't suppose you know if they'll accept a copy of my bank book with the 20K balance dated from 3 weeks before? huge thanks if you do!

24 minutes ago, lynneowens said:

ubonjoe, i've got to go to savannakhet in 3 weeks' time but can only get my thai bank book updated (to show 20K proof of funds) today/tomorrow - i don't suppose you know if they'll accept a copy of my bank book with the 20K balance dated from 3 weeks before? huge thanks if you do!

What is the problem that cannot update it later? You  should be able to update it any branch of your bank.

If you could get a ATM slip just before you leave the country to show the money is still there they should accept it 3 weeks before you apply.