Anyone ever got a 30 day extempt denied at a land border?

I have plenty of visas and won't get a SETV from Vientiane anymore, might get one from Savannakhet instead but don't feel like going to Cambodia later this month.

So I was thinking to drive to Savannakhet, apply for a tourist visa, maybe I get lucky, maybe not.

if not the plan is to get a 30 day exempt, I only have one of those in my passport, anyone ever got denied that on a land border?

Worst case I could drive or fly to Cambodia and still apply for a tourist visa there, but that's more like a backup plan.

First, be aware that you are only allowed two visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year. As long as you obey that rule, you will usually have no problem at most land crossings.

However, under no circumstances try to cross at Poipet to Aranyaprathet. The Thai officials there are notorious for denying people entry as part of their extortion schemes (which they run in coordination with fixers on the Cambodian side).

Poipet aside, there have been no reports of outright denials of entry at land borders since the twice per calendar year rule was introduced. At the border with Malaysia, it is wise to have 20,000 baht equivalent in cash (major currency) and they may create problems if you want to return the same day you left Thailand.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

First, be aware that you are only allowed two visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year. As long as you obey that rule, you will usually have no problem at most land crossings.

However, under no circumstances try to cross at Poipet to Aranyaprathet. The Thai officials there are notorious for denying people entry as part of their extortion schemes (which they run in coordination with fixers on the Cambodian side).

Poipet aside, there have been no reports of outright denials of entry at land borders since the twice per calendar year rule was introduced. At the border with Malaysia, it is wise to have 20,000 baht equivalent in cash (major currency) and they may create problems if you want to return the same day you left Thailand.

A couple of years ago when I crossed the border at Koh Kong / Had Lek by foot one of the immigration officers told me that I had to go get a tourist visa (I didn't intend to do a quick in/out but he mentioned it nonetheless without me asking about it or anything), which was rather weird and at that time I had zero exempts in my passport.

Now I plan to go in at Savannakhet, try to get a SETV there, and whether I get it or not drive to Vientiane to visit a friend and cross the border there with possibly an exempt. It appears they are a lot more relax in Laos compared to Cambodia. Then if they don't give me an exempt in Vientiane/Nong Khai border I can drive back to Savannakhet and try to get an exempt there, and I'll make sure to bring 20k baht just in case.

3 hours ago, dennis123 said:

Now I plan to go in at Savannakhet, try to get a SETV there, and whether I get it or not drive to Vientiane to visit a friend and cross the border there with possibly an exempt. It appears they are a lot more relax in Laos compared to Cambodia. Then if they don't give me an exempt in Vientiane/Nong Khai border I can drive back to Savannakhet and try to get an exempt there, and I'll make sure to bring 20k baht just in case.

You will have no trouble entering visa exempt at the Vientiane/Nong Khai or Savannakhet/Mukdahan crossings.

• Like 1

At certain borders that are primarily for border runs, they (thai side) wont stamp you out if you are not eligible. Mainly certain borders into Myanmar. So that you are not stuck in no-mans land.

Other borders like Sadao/dannok you usually need to spend at least a night out.

You should be fine.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app