How much cash can I take on the plane to europe?

"Over there" is "Europe" presumably.

1. You would be much better changing your Thai Baht at Super Rich in Pratu Nam, Bangkok. You will certainly get a far better rate than at the airport.

2. If more than the equivalent of $20,000 (around €17,500) you must declare it to Thai Customs.

3. You will need to declare anything over €10,000 entering the EU.

4. The consequences are they will certainly ask you where it came from.

Edited by Briggsy

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

1. You would be much better changing your Thai Baht at Super Rich in Pratu Nam, Bangkok. You will certainly get a far better rate than at the airport.

There is a SuperRich at the airport and I think their exchange rates are the same (or very near?) than other Superrich in Bangkok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

There is a SuperRich at the airport and I think their exchange rates are the same (or very near?) than other Superrich in Bangkok.

Yes, there is a Super Rich at the Airport.

The rates are worse but near, as you stated, to the rate you get at Pratu Nam. Indeed, on their website now, they give you the rates for each location. And the selling rates, which are the rates that concern the OP, @ghworker2010, are exactly the same. So no point going to Pratu Nam! Buying rates are worse at the airport.

Pratu Nam ฿ --> € 37.50

Airport ฿ --> € 37.50

The Airport branch is on B Floor, open from 6:30 am to 10 pm every day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I can guarantee you you will not get a better rate for Baht cash anywhere in Europe than at a good Thai money changer like Super Rich. No chance.

Yes I think you may be right on the Bhat, but just thought it was worth checking and not guessing.

That SuperRich booth is at the basement level opposite the entrance gates to the Airport Link. You can find it easily from the long queue of passengers waiting to change money at better rates than the banks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

you may get a better rate in Europe. 

Absolutely not! Same as converting your currency to THB in your country when you want transfer it to Thailand: This must be avoid !

Also, you cannot take more than 50'000 THB (in THB currency) out of Thailand when you fly back to your country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Absolutely not! Same as converting your currency to THB in your country when you want transfer it to Thailand: This must be avoid !

Also, you cannot take more than 50'000 THB (in THB currency) out of Thailand when you fly back to your country.

NEVER take Thai Baht out of the country and expect a reasonable exchange rate ! Pattaya 46 is totally correct ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

2. If more than the equivalent of $20,000 (around €17,500) you must declare it to Thai Customs.

10 000 eu per person ,so father mother and 2 children each 10 000 eu and they have to carry it themselves.

So i did and no hiding no problems.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/cash-controls/how-declare_en

Dwldable link in different languages ,read on form page 2 in case transit rulings ..

Declaring cash English vers..pdf 

Edited by david555

3 hours ago, wombat said:

why not take thai gold?

you get poorer rate as 96% gold , Europe and western country's use 99% for monetary gold , so they use the refining excuse (costs) , Thai 96 % gold good inside Thailand 

Edited by david555

11 hours ago, Briggsy said:

In Holland you can bring or get out 10000 euro (no declaration), if you bring more ok but declare and probably ask where is the money from. Handy to have some prove about the money.

If you dont declare over 10000 euro, you can loose all your money and get a fine

31 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In Holland you can bring or get out 10000 euro (no declaration), if you bring more ok but declare and probably ask where is the money from. Handy to have some prove about the money.

If you dont declare over 10000 euro, you can loose all your money and get a fine

It is 9999 € to be precise as the formulating is in the ruling 10 000 or more must be declared …." don't give a monkey customs  a rope as they shall climb "…..???? including coins or traveler checks 

1 minute ago, david555 said:

It is 9999 € to be precise as the formulating is in the ruling 10 000 or more must be declared …." don't give a monkey customs  a rope as they shall climb "…..???? including coins or traveler checks 

yup you are right , even your wallet where some money is left, all your total money UP to 10000, not 10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

you get poorer rate as 96% gold , Europe and western country's use 99% for monetary gold , so they use the refining excuse (costs) , Thai 96 % gold good inside Thailand 

In the USA you get equivalent if you go to an assayer/refiner. If the gold buy rate is 1500 an ounce and you have an ounce at 96%, you will get approximately $1440. Virtually every big city in the US has a place that will buy asian gold of various types.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

10 000 eu per person ,so father mother and 2 children each 10 000 eu and they have to carry it themselves.

So i did and no hiding no problems.

pattaya46 says lso, you cannot take more than 50'000 THB (in THB currency) out of Thailand when you fly back to your country.

is he wrong

28 minutes ago, david555 said:

is that all across the eu?

11 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

everyone else is saying 10k euro. why do you say 50k baht? are you saying I can't carry 50k baht in notes out of thailand?

Yeah, you may wanna consider a few troy oz gold as well.

Agreed. Never take baht ooc.

I'd go to Prathunam, he's talking a decent stack of money. He can inspect the notes. Maybe even get 500eu if they are still being circulated.

2 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

everyone else is saying 10k euro. why do you say 50k baht? are you saying I can't carry 50k baht in notes out of thailand?

It's possible. I've no idea, many countries have such laws, I think Indonesia has limits. This is to thwart political destabilizing, essentially funding insurgency movements.

17 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

In THB Notes, yes, and I clearly insisted "in THB currency".

In other currencies (€, $, …) you can carry out Thailand any amount you want.

Edit: Thai Customs:

- The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs.

- The amount of Thai currency, in a form of banknote or coin, allowed to be brought outside the country shall not exceed 50,000 THB.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Yeah, you may wanna consider a few troy oz gold as well.

Agreed. Never take baht ooc.

I'd go to Prathunam, he's talking a decent stack of money. He can inspect the notes. Maybe even get 500eu if they are still being circulated.

500€ notes stays valid for ever, only they do not print them anymore new, so for those they made the change (black money , illegal money launderers ), shall still use and stockpile them , so the whole action missing his point …????, and use /trade them amongst each other inner circle....????

Edited by david555

39 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

is that all across the eu?

yes the whole eurozone for sure , even the U.K. use 10 000 but in pounds rule , but no eurozone country 

The whole page with the country's here   https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/cash-controls/how-declare_en

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

There is a Super Rich kiosk at the airport in the basement where you catch the train.