New UK Passport and transfer stamps

I just renewed my UK passport while in the UK. I have a extension of stay based on retirement and when i arrived in Thailand with old and new passport got a stamp until my extension ends in four months, with old passport number written in with page number of multi re-entry.

My question is should i wait until 90 day report to go to immigration to transfer stamps or go soon. Have downloaded form for Transfer Stamp TO New Passport. My immigration office is Khon Kaen. I would be happy for advice.

IMO it is best to have the stamps transferred as soon as possible. Until it is done you need to use both passports until it is done for anything you need the passport for. 

It does not take a lot of time to get it done.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

You may as well just wait and do it all at one time, takes them a while as they have to transfer quite a few stamps over if you have had multiple visa over the years.

There are not that many stamps that are transferred. The certainly don't do a annotation for every visa you ever got.

Normally it is only a stamp with spaces for them to enter the info about the visa that you used to get the entry you have been extending and info about your old passport and the entry stamp from that visa. Your most recent entry and extension of stay stamps.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

IMO it is best to have the stamps transferred as soon as possible. Until it is done you need to use both passports until it is done for anything you need the passport for. 

It does not take a lot of time to get it done.

A stout rubber band usually overcomes that issue....

• Like 1

@steve1959 - have you yet obtained the Embassy's misleadingly-titled "visa transfer" letter which Immigration will almost certainly want to see when you do the stamps transfer? Click on the link below for info on getting this letter if you haven't already done this:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-for-replacement-passports

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are not that many stamps that are transferred.

I stand corrected! I just looked and there are only a couple of stamps, my last new passport, probably five years ago there were about three pages of stamps as they made a "note" of previous stamps. (I have been either on retirement visa or work permit for 15 years). I thought they had done the same thing again!

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

IMO it is best to have the stamps transferred as soon as possible

Just a question about this , I got a new passport from my embassy in Bangkok.  I am planning to wait until my 90 day report to transfer the stamps, which is in a months time. Or should i do it ASAP ? 

Edited by balo

4 hours ago, balo said:

Just a question about this , I got a new passport from my embassy in Bangkok.  I am planning to wait until my 90 day report to transfer the stamps, which is in a months time. Or should i do it ASAP ? 

That is up to you.

It can also depend upon the office you are doing it at since at some of the larger office it means getting 2 queue tickets to do both of them. It can also require getting a copy of the the transferred stamps in your new passport for the 2nd thing you are doing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steve1959 said:

OJAS I believe I don't need a British Embassy letter as I got the new passport in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It makes absolutely no difference to Immigration whether you obtained your new passport in the UK or Thailand! Without an Embassy letter your local office will almost certainly refuse point blank to process a stamps transfer.

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

It makes absolutely no difference to Immigration whether you obtained your new passport in the UK or Thailand! Without an Embassy letter your local office will almost certainly refuse point blank to process a stamps transfer.

It depends upon the immigration office. Many do not want the letter if the passport has been used for entry to the country.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I went with the letter from my embassy and they were not interested. They filled their own form out and got me to sign that.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update. I got stamps transferred including yearly extension. Looking at passport they did not transfer the multi re-entry. I do not plan to leave Thailand before next one year extension. If I did for some unforeseen reason I assume I would need to show old passport as re-entry will still be valid. I wish I had queried it at the time. At least less space taken up in passport.

1 hour ago, steve1959 said:

I assume I would need to show old passport as re-entry will still be valid.

Might be worth double-checking this with your local immigration office - but only when/if you identify a specific need for the re-entry permit to be used prior to its expiry, I think.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, steve1959 said:

Just to update. I got stamps transferred including yearly extension. Looking at passport they did not transfer the multi re-entry. I do not plan to leave Thailand before next one year extension. If I did for some unforeseen reason I assume I would need to show old passport as re-entry will still be valid. I wish I had queried it at the time. At least less space taken up in passport.

Thanks for the feedback, did you enter the country with the new pass !? Did they ask for a embassy letter in that case !? (was that Phuket immigration ?).

Might be worth double-checking this with your local immigration office - but only when/if you identify a specific need for the re-entry permit to be used prior to its expiry, I think.
Thanks for advice. I will ask when I do 90 day report in about six weeks. Would like to know if I leave Thailand and return would re-entry permit in old passport be acceptable.

Thanks for the feedback, did you enter the country with the new pass !? Did they ask for a embassy letter in that case !? (was that Phuket immigration ?).
I entered Thailand with new passport and showed old passport with yearly extension and multi re-entry permit. I got embassy letter and filled in immigration form for transfer of stamps. Embassy letter free.

I entered Thailand with new passport and showed old passport with yearly extension and multi re-entry permit. I got embassy letter and filled in immigration form for transfer of stamps. Embassy letter free.

Khon kaen immigration