Informing about an ED visa

In the past I think I paid around 20,000 baht for an ED visa, and as I had no intention to attend school the immigration was so friendly to provide a letter to all students.

Providing them with an option to either attend class or pay 2000 baht every three months to immigration with a fast-lane option that doesn't require you to get a ticket number, even if they are already dealing with someone you just push in front, show the ticket the school provides and you get instant service and are out within  minutes. Great service that I pleasantly enjoyed.

Today I went to the same school, they even offered me a significant discount for not attending school but instead of the 2000 baht bribe, immigration now demands a 5000 baht bribe every three months.

I complained to the school and they said: "Well, if you don't want to spend 5000 every three months you could just attend school four days a week like you're supposed to" and don't pay a single dime during the three-month reporting.

Uhm yeah, fair enough I suppose ????

I ain't complaining really, I'm just a little bit surprised how the bribes just keep increasing from year to year but oh well.

Some baiting inflammatory posts and replies to them have been removed.

Not sure how much longer you can pay the extra 5000 baht. The head of immigration has stated he is going to stop corruption so it might go away soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:05 PM, dennis123 said:

Today I went to the same school, they even offered me a significant discount for not attending school but instead of the 2000 baht bribe, immigration now demands a 5000 baht bribe every three months.

The increase may be to cover the "new crackdown" - that' usually what "crackdowns" are for - to increase agent/payoff fees and/or increase the number of people who have to use payoffs, even if honest applicants.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:05 PM, dennis123 said:

I complained to the school and they said: "Well, if you don't want to spend 5000 every three months you could just attend school four days a week like you're supposed to" and don't pay a single dime during the three-month reporting.

Not sure about the school saying you can attend class and not pay the "easy extension" fee.  I understand they can make life very difficult for those trying to do things the "honest way" - and that even good students must pay the bribe, or get shortened-extensions (less than 90-days), impromptu quizzes by IOs (no standards on what is expected), etc.

I would attend school if using ED Visa/extensions to stay here - but probably pay the extra money to avoid being punished for doing in-person honest applications (as can happen with some immigration offices for some types of extensions).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1