SETV from Phnom Penh

Is Phnom Penh currently easy to get a Thai SETV - just read somebody's recent negative experience and saying visa/travel agents aren't able to get visas on our behalf and rejected with 2 previous visas. Any other members experienced any problems in P P recently? 

You will probably get varying opinions. My own view is that Phnom Penh is to be avoided for tourist visa applications. Both outright rejections of applications, and granting the visa, but with the dreaded "travels frequently on tourist visas" stamp are a risk if you have previous Thai tourist visas in your passport. If you want to try anyway, there are differing views on whether it is better to use an agent. That may depend on the personal impression you make on the consular staff. If successful, an application takes longer than at other consulates in the region.

Thanks for the info Jack and Tim, seems PP has changed a lot. Jack I see your useful advice on the other thread. Do you recommend Savannakhet or Penang (via agent like "Jim") or Vietnam HCMC or Hanoi. My plan was to do this last TV, as I'm getting married in Jan then was going to Savannakhet in Feb for a marriage visa. 

Edited by crafty
Extra info

4 minutes ago, crafty said:

Do you recommend Savannakhet or Penang (via agent like "Jim").

Savannakhet is a good bet, if you meet all their qualifications (air-ticket out, 20K Baht worth of cash in a bank-statement (can be any country), and a hotel-booking or rental-contract. 

Vientiane is easier, if you don't have a "red stamp" ("This person travels to Thailand frequently on Tourist Visas...") added to any previous Thai Visa in your passport.  You don't need anything there but 1000 Baht, 2-pics, application-form, and your passport. 

Penang is not as friendly as it used to be - but could work if you do not have 3+ Thai Visas in your passport, already.

4 minutes ago, crafty said:

My plan was to do this last TV, as I'm getting married in Jan then was going to Savannakhet in Feb for a marriage visa.

In that case, you don't have to worry about getting the "red stamp" - since your next visa-application will be for a Non-O. 

My choice would be Vientiane for the Tourist Visa, assuming you don't have a "red stamp" already. 

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. I do have "red stamp too many Visas" Nov 2017 from my 1st ever SETV from Vietianne (gutted) then had 9 months out of Thailand in the UK, got a SETV in London Oct 2018. From your advice I'm thinking Savannakhet (dry run for when I do the Non-O. 

Is it better to fly direct to Savannakhet or fly to Mukkadan then minibus? Then on the way back land crossing or air (hearing I/O at airports are checking more thanks to Big Joke) 

Thanks again. 

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Some back-story on this covered here:

In my opinion, it would be a good choice for a first SETV in a new passport - maybe a 2nd in the passport, but I wouldn't risk it on account of a possible red-stamp.  Expect 4 days turn-around time, in any case.

just a bad choice period l would think without any experience 

22 hours ago, crafty said:

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. I do have "red stamp too many Visas" Nov 2017 from my 1st ever SETV from Vietianne (gutted) then had 9 months out of Thailand in the UK, got a SETV in London Oct 2018. From your advice I'm thinking Savannakhet (dry run for when I do the Non-O. 

Is it better to fly direct to Savannakhet or fly to Mukkadan then minibus? Then on the way back land crossing or air (hearing I/O at airports are checking more thanks to Big Joke) 

Thanks again. 

Thanks for the report on Vientiene's red-stamp on a "1st ever SETV from them" - first I've heard of that.  Usually you get at least 2 or 3 before that happens.

22 hours ago, crafty said:

(hearing I/O at airports are checking more thanks to Big Joke) 

This abuse of those with valid visas (quoting non-published "rules" that may or may not exist at all) started before the new Immigration chief.  Many things are being blamed on him that occurred or began prior to his appointment (embassy-letter issue also). 

Flying out of Thailand is no problem international - Mukdahan is right on the border, so more a factor of flight-times and prices than anything headed-out.  But, I would definitely cross back in by land, and then take a domestic-flight.  There are no reported problems at that land-border. 

Crossing either way, you would take a Tuk-Tuk or taxi to the bridge (from Mukdahan-airport or Savannakhet-consulate), then take the bus that runs across - passing through immigration on both sides - then Tuk-Tuk or taxi again to your destination.

Do you have 2 visa-exempt land-border entries this year?  If you have already used 2 land-border visa-exempts this calendar-year, you could be stuck if you don't get the SETV. 

If you were denied the Visa, unless you have 2 land-border visa-exempts this calendar-year, you could get a visa-exempt entry to return - maybe not bothering with the Visa at all if sure you will be married within 60-days of your return (30-days + 30-extension).   

But caveat on the marriage process - it is not as easy as it used to be just 2 years ago, so be prepared for issues with the amphoe.  I would have your wife go and ask them for a list of what is needed - likely including a "certified copy of your passport face-page" from your embassy, and other things not listed as needed per older reports.  Also, be prepared to pay a marriage-agent (usually under 10K Baht), if they throw up roadblocks last-minute, which will make you "time out" before your permitted-stay ends (a trick they use to get agent-laundered money - possibly more likely if they see you are short on remaining-time). 

Edited by JackThompson