Tires For Honda CB650?

JimMorris

I am wondering if there are any inexpensive street tires for a Honda CB650 available in Thailand? I think the stock Dunlop Sportmax tires would cost around 10,000 Baht to replace and Pirelli Rosso 2 are slightly higher priced. I am wondering if perhaps there might be any less expensive alternatives? Thank you.

44 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

I think the stock Dunlop Sportmax tires would cost around 10,000 Baht

Sportbike tyre makes are always more expensive a money maker. 

If you want a good cheap Dunlop tyre, Trailmax are under 6000 bht a set last time I bought tyres they would be OK on a sportbike and there good for Thailand roads too.

58 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Sure there are cheap alternatives. You could try "Thai Michelin" if you like but, would you really want to risk quality over price when riding a 650cc?

Thanks. No, not wanting a tire that would make riding more dangerous. Only wondering if there are any less expensive alternatives that I am not aware.

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sportbike tyre makes are always more expensive a money maker. 

If you want a good cheap Dunlop tyre, Trailmax are under 6000 bht a set last time I bought tyres they would be OK on a sportbike and there good for Thailand roads too.

Thank you for the suggestion. They seem more like off road tire though. Perhaps not as good for city driving?

5 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Thank you for the suggestion. They seem more like off road tire though. Perhaps not as good for city driving?

Not so !! .....There fitted to many adventure bikes that are just as fast as a CBR650 you said CB650 so perfect cheap tyre for that bike.

Edited by Kwasaki

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The CB650 has a 180 rear tyre, the Dunlop Trailmax are not available in this size (For the sizes in which the Dunlop is available you can also get tyres from other brands for a similar price). And i also wouldn't put a 80/20 or 70/30 tyre (or whatever the Trailmax is) on a pure street bike.

I googled for 120/70ZR17 + 180/55ZR17 tyres which you need for the CB650, They all cost 10k+ for the pair. But you have the option of other brands, for example Conti or Metzeler tyres are also available at this price, probably other brands as well, Pirelli seems to cost a bit more. So if you are not happy with the Dunlop you could give another brand a try, but you won't get cheaper ones.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

The CB650 has a 180 rear tyre, the Dunlop Trailmax are not available in this size (For the sizes in which the Dunlop is available you can also get tyres from other brands for a similar price). And i also wouldn't put a 80/20 or 70/30 tyre (or whatever the Trailmax is) on a pure street bike.

I googled for 120/70ZR17 + 180/55ZR17 tyres which you need for the CB650, They all cost 10k+ for the pair. But you have the option of other brands, for example Conti or Metzeler tyres are also available at this price, probably other brands as well, Pirelli seems to cost a bit more. So if you are not happy with the Dunlop you could give another brand a try, but you won't get cheaper ones.

Thank you for your good thoughts. I think there is a Conti sport touring tyre available for around 8,000 Baht for the pair. It sounds like a good quality alternative that are about 20-30% less cost than most of the other good quality tyre options.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Somebody offering Metzeler tyres for a low price, looks actually too cheap, but in case you live in Bangkok and can have a look at them before you buy them i would get them: https://www.kaidee.com/product-343085656

That seller seems to be offering many inexpensive tyres: https://www.kaidee.com/member/listing/524716

Prices sound too cheap as you mentioned. Another question would be manufacture date on them.

14 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

That seller seems to be offering many inexpensive tyres: https://www.kaidee.com/member/listing/524716

Prices sound too cheap as you mentioned. Another question would be manufacture date on them.

Smashed up new cb650 in front good rear tyre, smashed up cb650 at rear good front tyre, I use to do that in UK. 

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Smashed up new cb650 in front good rear tyre, smashed up cb650 at rear good front tyre, I use to do that in UK. 

But these aren't the stock tyres that come with these bikes. Probably not so many new CB650 bikes riding around in Thailand with new Metzeler tyres to begin with. ????

• Like 1

I have been using Michelin pilot road 3 and now 4 : these tires are just SO amazing, very versatile, excellent grip, good feedback, long life, there's nothing wrong i can say about. they're really perfect all around / all weather tyres.

Now i think it costed me about 8,000K + for my CB400SF so it would be even more expensive on your bike.

I'm maybe picking up my bike at the shop today, they have a pricelist paper with all their tires, i'll try to take a picture (if i don't forget ...)

6 hours ago, kannot said:

Sent you a pm I have 2  almost new original tyres  that I changed after 1500km can let you have them cheap if u like Im  close to Hua  Hin off my own cbr 650f

Thanks for your offer. To be honest, the ones on my CB650F now are the same stock tires you have and with only 2,000KM on them. The reason I am changing the tires though is because they have been on the bike for a few years and were manufactured about a year before the bike was sold to me by the dealer. Tires get hard here quickly as you probably know, especially if you don't ride them. So mainly I am wanting to change tires now and get some new ones that are soft and have a manufacture date on them of no more than 6 months. I may only ride the bike 400-500 kilometers again during the cool season and then park it again until next year. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:11 AM, Pepper9187 said:

I have been using Michelin pilot road 3 and now 4 : these tires are just SO amazing, very versatile, excellent grip, good feedback, long life, there's nothing wrong i can say about. they're really perfect all around / all weather tyres.

Now i think it costed me about 8,000K + for my CB400SF so it would be even more expensive on your bike.

I'm maybe picking up my bike at the shop today, they have a pricelist paper with all their tires, i'll try to take a picture (if i don't forget ...)

Thanks. I think I might have the Michelin Pilot Street tires on my smaller CBR when I changed those tires in May of last year. They seem fine and weren't expensive. Maybe 4,000 Baht for the pair or a bit more if I remember. I am not sure though if they make them in the bigger size needed for a CB650F. Perhaps they do.

14 hours ago, Poppadom said:

I saw a CB400SF on our Japan trip recently, gotta love that bike and it's still in production there. (Currently riding a CB500F, but would swap in a heartbeat) Here's a link for tires:

https://www.showpow.co.th/category/9709/2475/cbr500r-cb500f-nc750x

Thank you for the link. My bike needs 120/70ZR17 + 180/55ZR17. Not such a common size I am afraid. Mainly I think it is the back tire that is a bit bigger than many 600-650CC bikes I believe.

In the end I decided to go for a pair of new Continental sport touring tyres. Affordably priced, manufactured about 3 months ago, made in Malaysia. They feel soft and sticky to the touch. Much better than the 4 year old stock tyres that were rock hard already, even though they still had less than 3,000KM on them. I am guessing these new Contis will be fine for a couple of years for the occasional riding I do. 

1.thumb.jpg.20a9171d6655ecde342b1b1e07a20406.jpg

Edited by JimMorris

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 9:33 PM, MatteoBassini said:

Good call, sport touring tires are the most suitable for anyone just doing regular street riding or, of course, touring. Anything sportier are only suited for the track.

Thanks. I have only ridden about 100KM on them so far since putting them on the bike, but they feel really good from what I can tell. I am hoping for some cooler weather still this month or next so I can take it for a bit of a longer ride.