Build it and they will come: Thai developers pour billions into retail

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, ThorD72 said:

Anybody else here deeply care about Dolce Gabbana,.and 

Louis Vuitton,.. just cant get enough buying that stuff. 

FWIW, a lot of those designer brands they mentioned in the OP article already have stores elsewhere in BKK, including at Siam Paragon, Gaysorn Plaza and/or Central Embassy to some extent.

They mainly go to  enjoy the free air con, normal Thais cannot afford what is on offer, imagine what will happen if they follow the west and get into online shopping! Air con is the saving grace at the moment and of course the credit, the credit they never thought they would have to pay back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bowerboy said:

The Malls have to PAY the high end brands (Gucci, Luis Vuitton etc) to be there....in many cases they have to beg and grovel the major brands to let the shopping center pay them to have a shop there (or at the very least offer them free rent for a number of years)....this is a fact I learned during the building and opening of Central Embassy in Bangkok.

Here is a prediction; at some point in the future these shopping malls will charge (or at least try to) charge an entrance fee.

Yup, malls usually pay for the store construction cost of high end brands. But they don't pay them to be there, there are also agreements regarding to how often they have to renovate the store.

But they will never charge an entrance fee, thats a bullet to the head.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

I think they are a fair bit smarter than you. Supaluck Umpujh is worth around $2bn (and has a masters degree in physical and industrial chemistry from a US university).  And I have met her several times over the years; she is a very switched on, very intelligent business lady.

But easy for you to sit there and compare them with sloths.  I am sure the Mall Group would be so much more successful with you in charge.

I find it hilarious there are always keyboard warriors making fun of these billionaires who built there wealth up from ground up - they must be doing something very wrong to be billionaires!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

But they will never charge an entrance fee, thats a bullet to the head.

I'm not sure, i saw the Chanel shop in Singapore bay and there's a long queue outside because they let only 1 customer in the shop at a time..

It seems that their customers will do anything only to get inside the shop. Also in BKK they always have a queue.

But maybe the chinese will rather fly to Europe where those brands are cheaper, last week my wife's friend even called her in the middle of the night when she was in Europe in some designers shop. They are totally obsessed with designer stuff...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Iconsiam was created to glorify the proud stories covering every dimension of Thainess

I think I will never this place, for me Thainess is: Greed, Me First mentality when driving any kind of vehicle (boats included), we know better than the foreigners, poor people are garbage, cheating, corruption and many more things that probably would ban me from this forum if I mention them. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I think I will never this place, for me Thainess is: Greed, Me First mentality when driving any kind of vehicle (boats included), we know better than the foreigners, poor people are garbage, cheating, corruption and many more things that probably would ban me from this forum if I mention them. 

Its not only Thais, its a western thing too.

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

I find it hilarious there are always keyboard warriors making fun of these billionaires who built there wealth up from ground up - they must be doing something very wrong to be billionaires!

It certainly helps to have friends in the very highest of places to rent the land from and then others to build the transport links to the front doors.

After that, then yes, they have very often created wonderful places.

But how long can it go on.  Bangkok had enough of these places some years ago.

On 11/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, greeneking said:

It certainly helps to have friends in the very highest of places to rent the land from and then others to build the transport links to the front doors.

After that, then yes, they have very often created wonderful places.

But how long can it go on.  Bangkok had enough of these places some years ago.

No it just takes money. If you have a good track record, you can borrow billions from the bank to finance your projects too. Its not always about having the influence. Icon Siam is not built by a single company, its a partnership between 3-4 companies. The land is private land, not government own land. The developers are paying to build the transport link to the front door.

Yes Bangkok may be becoming overpopulated with these wonderful places, but not quite. Its one of the most visited places in the world, so the local population along with tourist can support these megamalls. These megamalls will only start to be deserted when the standard of living reach a certain level.