Sandpaper

lemonjelly

I use a Japanese brand of belt sanders as a rule.

Never had a problem with grit becomi g unstuck but very often the seal on the belt melting away and breaking after 3 minutes.

My new rule of thumb is never to buy grit papers from Global and head to Home Pro instead.

There are German brands also a bit more expensive but also long lasting but you wouldnt expext anything less from that country.

4 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Can anyone here give me a link to a Thai supplier of decent coated sandpaper?.... stuff I’ve used so far is Chinese garbage, P60 that you can rub off the paper with your thumb !!

Any of the usual suppliers Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu, ToolPro, HardwareHouse etc has abrasive on a roll in several grits and it doesn't have that problem.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any of the usual suppliers Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu, ToolPro, HardwareHouse etc has abrasive on a roll in several grits and it doesn't have that problem.

Cheers, I’ll try and see if I can find any of these places next time I take a trip into Hat Yai; in boondocks atm, just your typical small hardware shops.

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine Bosch sand paper is readily available in Thailand. I've met two of the French citizens who run the Norton brand in Thailand for Saint-Gobain. Much of the Norton sand paper sold in Asia is actually made at a plant in Thailand. Norton originated in the USA, but was bought by Saint-Gobain. It is widely distributed in Thailand by SPE, who also distribute DeWALT and Stanley Tools. It is only a few baht to step up from "fish name" sand paper to real brands. 

Archived